|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Coming to PC

Default Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Coming to PC

April 21st, 2012, 03:34
We've previously covered Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land when it launched for iOS but now it is coming to PC. The release will use yet another client called Intel AppUp, which I've never encountered before. From the developer Red Wasp Design's website:
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land’ Summoned to PC via the Intel AppUp center
Whispers in the darkness today confirmed that the critically acclaimed ‘Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land’ today announced their hit game is coming to PC. The developers, Red Wasp Design, revealed the existence of a Cyclopean pact with the Intel AppUpSM program to spread the insanity onto laptops, Ultrabooks and desktops worldwide. The Intel AppUpSM center is a service that aggregates, curates and distributes validated digital content delivering a fuller, richer experience on the PC.
The game will launch on the AppUpSM center on 5th May 2012 at the RPC Germany international RPG event. The games developers will also be at the event demoing the PC version of the game to fans and fellow gamers. The price point will be confirmed on the release date. AppUpSMis free to install and has lots of games and applications on it for Windows PCs. The PC version of the game runs in widescreen and has been optimised to run on laptops, Ultrabooks™ and desktops including support for Windows 7 touchscreen powered PCs.
For those new to the cult title, the indie game is a turn-based strategy RPG inspired by the works of cult horror writer H.P. Lovecraft. The game was developed in co-operation with Chaosium, the publishers of the cult horror role playing game, Call of Cthulhu. The game features nine 3D levels set in the trenches of World War One. In ‘The Wasted Land’ the player controls a team of up to six investigators charged with uncovering a deadly inhuman conspiracy underlying the clash of empires of the Great War. Barbed wire, mustard gas and machines guns will prove to be the least dangerous thing that the investigators will encounter as they venture out into No-man’s land to solve the mystery of the Wasted Land. As the game progresses, the player can build up the skills, weapons and equipment of the team to suit their playing style. As well as the physical danger, the investigators must guard their sanity against the myriad horrors that threaten to destroy it.
Thanks, JDR13 and Capt. Huggy Face!
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2012, 03:34
Instabuy. Don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars, just give me my Cthulhu!

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

April 21st, 2012, 04:21
And I'll be waiting for your review.

Are there any decent CRPG Cthulhu games?
It was by far my favorite RPG.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 21st, 2012, 04:37
Is this similar to Dark Corners of the Earth?

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

April 21st, 2012, 05:10
Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
Is this similar to Dark Corners of the Earth?
About as similar as vanilla is to chocolate.

Just follow the link and check it out.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 07:36
Unless it's a dramatic improvement over the IOS version, I wouldn't recomend it. The IOS version has some decent flavor early on, but ultimately it has fairly tedious and uninspired gameplay. Final reviews tended to be somewhat low. If it was unsuccesful as a IOS RPG (where the bar is already set incredibly low), I can't imagine how it is going to be recieved in the PC market.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

April 21st, 2012, 07:37
I like both vanilla AND chocolate.

Sold.

Majnun

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 07:38
Dammit you just pooped on my dreamlands.

Majnun

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 07:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Just follow the link and check it out.
I did.

JonNik

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 09:11
I'm not seeing a reason for the negativity.

It's gotten some very positive reviews, and it looks and sounds pretty good from the footage I've seen. I'd be skeptical if this was a $50 game, but it's only $4.99 for iOS, and I imagine the PC version will be only slightly more expensive.

It's supposedly pretty hardcore as well.
http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/…sted_land.html

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 09:50

It's gotten some very positive reviews, and it looks and sounds pretty good from the footage I've seen. I'd be skeptical if this was a $50 game, but it's only $4.99 for iOS, and I imagine the PC version will be only slightly more expensive.

Hmm hey, that one makes it sound interesting indeed!

I guess I just want a more story/atmosphere based game out of the Cthulhu mythos
(while generally a tactical turn based game in almost any other setting would be extremely welcome).

As I am currently insanely enjoying my Arx replay, a Cthulhu game along those line i.e would have been totally droolworthy.

That said, you are right. At this price and for that theme/ruleset and gameplay I could not but give it a shot…

JonNik

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 17:17
Well there are certainly plenty of negative reviews. Here is one from Tom Chick that I strongly agree with (I do own the game).

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201…d-opportunity/

Many of the problems do relate to interface and screen size, and these should play much better on a PC. But at the end of the day, the game plays like a bad version of X-com (ie no cover, no fog of war, little equipment, just cycle through your guys and shoot the nearest target).

Also worth noting that the IOS market is very different from the PC market, and $5.00 is one of the highest prices you will see there. The average game costs 1-2, high quality games are usually 3-4. So people expect a lot more for 5 on the IOS then they do on the PC.

Anyway if it's cheap on the PC it certainly can't hurt for you to try out. Certainly some people do like it.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

April 21st, 2012, 17:23
I found it really tedious and really lacking any kind of depth, basicly just go to the next target, kill.. not sure if the game gets any different later on (i played for maybe an hour). I'd rate the first hour 1/5.

vurt

Serial Modderer

April 21st, 2012, 18:09
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
Well there are certainly plenty of negative reviews. Here is one from Tom Chick that I strongly agree with (I do own the game).

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201…d-opportunity/
Yeah, that is what I was getting from the perfunctory view I gave it…

this what I meant about the gameplay not suiting a mythos rpg:
Then, after the jump, the gameplay happens

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a great set up for a game that never shows up. What does show up is a not very good tactical turn-based game that loses sight of the Lovecraft. It quickly grinds to a stuttering stop-and-go all-but-halt littered with tiny pieces, tiny buttons, and tiny numbers. Most of The Wasted Land is a rote you-shoot/they-shoot punch and counterpunch on a grid that might fare better on an iPad, but not by much.

It’s mostly all about gunplay, and upgrading armor and weapons between missions. You can eventually dink around with poorly explained spells. …
Anyways, sounds like something I might check out in a steam sale…

Hey, it says Lovecraft on the cover

JonNik

SasqWatch

April 21st, 2012, 18:43
Sorry to hear the first-hand negative reactions. I have been looking forward to this one. I'll still get it, though. I'm big.on intresting settings. Might wait a little bit, though, because i dont really feel like having another little-used client on my comp. I think, I hope, they are still planning an Android version. Might wait a bit for news about that. I'm really not in front of a computer as much as I used to be.

*waves to Skaven*

Haven't seen you around in a while.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

April 21st, 2012, 18:46
*Rat tail wave back to Huggy*

All I have to say is that they can keep real life. It's no fun at all.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

April 23rd, 2012, 22:40
The developers, Red Wasp Design, revealed the existence of a Cyclopean pact…
Have to say right away I strongly dislike this idiotic misuse of the adjective 'cyclopean'. They use a proprietary distribution [and DRM] service to sell the game. I emailed them and confirmed that you have to have their download client installed to play the game after you pay for it. I hate crap like that, and since it's not one of the big players, I don't imagine it's going to earn them any friends.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Coming to PC