|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Delayed till August!

Default Risen 2 - Delayed till August!

April 21st, 2012, 04:23
That's fine, I've got no monies anyway. And I'd rather they release it when it's ready then be unplayable for the first two months.
human_male is offline

human_male

human_male's Avatar
Math and girls is hard.

#21

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 525

Default 

April 21st, 2012, 16:14
PC bug testers.

Edit: nice looking video preview http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de…risen-2/729145
KapitanUnterhosen is offline

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

#22

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 527

Default 

April 21st, 2012, 16:30
The German print reviews are out. Business as usual: 85-86%, no serious bugs. That's the equivalent to a 9.5/10 on the IGN 8-10 scale.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#23

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,918

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 01:35
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
The German print reviews are out. Business as usual: 85-86%, no serious bugs. That's the equivalent to a 9.5/10 on the IGN 8-10 scale.
More like equivalent to a 7 or so. Taste differ in Germany compared to the U.S, games like Risen or Two Worlds score better in Europe than here.

I am free because I choose to be so-me
Kefka is offline

Kefka

Kefka's Avatar
Watchdog

#24

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 103

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 02:19
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
More like equivalent to a 7 or so. Taste differ in Germany compared to the U.S, games like Risen or Two Worlds score better in Europe than here.
No, I agree with Gorath. American sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to be overly generous with their ratings. If it's getting 85-86% over there, that makes me even more optimistic that it's a quality title. I don't think being a 3rd-person aRPG has anything to do with it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,300

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 02:35
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
No, I agree with Gorath. American sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to be overly generous with their ratings. If it's getting 85-86% over there, that makes me even more optimistic that it's a quality title. I don't think being a 3rd-person aRPG has anything to do with it.
I agree with you in principal … but sites like Gamespot and IGN will trash non-EA/Ubi/bribe-score games so they can tout a 'fair and balanced' scorecard …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,544

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 02:51
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I agree with you in principal … but sites like Gamespot and IGN will trash non-EA/Ubi/bribe-score games so they can tout a 'fair and balanced' scorecard …
I don't see too much of that, although I agree that certain publishers always seem to get high scores. What I see is a lot of high scores in general.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,300

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 03:22
It's easy ignore sites like IGN and gamespot there always biased to non-american games. Always have and always will be.

Certain developers and publishers always get good reviews just because of reputation and not the quality of there games. That's a fact also.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:49.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

#28

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,763

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 03:45
Anyway, IGN gave Risen 8.6.
DPB is offline

DPB

DPB's Avatar
Watchdog

#29

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England
Posts: 200

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 03:48
Originally Posted by DPB View Post
Anyway, IGN gave Risen 8.6.
Wow what a surprise not a 9 or 10. I'm just kidding. Its still not a 10. That's reserved for Bioware.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

#30

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,763

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 04:17
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Wow what a surprise not a 9 or 10. I'm just kidding. Its still not a 10. That's reserved for Bioware.
And Bethesda …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,544

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 11:35
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
No, I agree with Gorath. American sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to be overly generous with their ratings.
..and a german mag reviewing a german game from one of the german top RPG makers, is obviously not overly generous. not saying the game is bad though, i really enjoyed the beta, and 85% doesnt sound like overly generous, at least i hope it isnt
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#32

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,644

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 14:14
The fans will buy it regardless. That is and it will always be that way.

The only question is if fans alone can generate enough profits for a) the survival of the developing form, and b) to fund the next game.

And I really don't believe that Sky Rim was bought by fans alone. Instead i rather tend to blieve that it just fitted nicely into a current fashion in gaming.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#33

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,062

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 15:50
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
..and a german mag reviewing a german game from one of the german top RPG makers, is obviously not overly generous.
I want to see the Risen 2 polish reviews.
KapitanUnterhosen is offline

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

#34

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 527

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 16:06
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
..and a german mag reviewing a german game from one of the german top RPG makers, is obviously not overly generous. not saying the game is bad though, i really enjoyed the beta, and 85% doesnt sound like overly generous, at least i hope it isnt
That's definitely true. German mags do in fact love German games and especially Piranha Bytes so PB will always get a few bonus points. Who doesn't remember Gothic 3 that collected high scores from several German mags initially? Some of the mags got caught red-handed and had to readjust their scores when the outrage over the true qualities (or lack thereof) of Gothic 3 started. It was very embarrassing for some of the bigger German mags (especially Gamestar).

In Risen 2's case it's kinda funny, too. The mags criticize the weak plot, the weak quests (FedEx FTW!), the lack of challenging fights due to the simple mechanics (including a too easy final boss fight apparently), graphical and AI bugs, and "wooden" characters.
All in all these are issues that would not seem too irrelevant for a RPG and yet Risen 2 gets these high scores.
This is definitely the PB bonus at work here.
Oh, and maybe the "bribes" helped as well. Gamestar has been getting tons of exclusives and they have featured so called advertorials for promotional purposes etc. … a fishy smell is in the air .
Who knows? Maybe the prerequisite for publishing an early review was at least a 85% score and that's why Gamestar and PC Games (the two biggest German print mags) went for their 85/86% scores.
Moriendor is offline

Moriendor

Moriendor's Avatar
Spielkind

#35

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Schland
Posts: 1,987

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 16:41
Brother None who has finished it, said it's at least as good as Risen 1, but not Gothic1-2 quality.. It's sad they didnt care to fix that awful looking LOD though

Looking forward to reviews..
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#36

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,644

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 16:41
I don't mind that the game is delayed. I wasn't planning on picking it up at release anyway. Maybe by August I will be more interested in the game again and want to pick it up on release day.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#37

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,419

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 18:33
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
The mags criticize the weak plot, the weak quests (FedEx FTW!), the lack of challenging fights due to the simple mechanics (including a too easy final boss fight apparently), graphical and AI bugs, and "wooden" characters.
All in all these are issues that would not seem too irrelevant for a RPG and yet Risen 2 gets these high scores.
Ouch, weak quests and wooden characters was not what I was getting from the (admittedly limited) time in the beta (and what Brother None was saying from his more involved time with the press preview). These was actually the two areas I was hoping that improvements would balance out all the streamlining and nerfed gameplay…

Oh well, nothing much to do but wait and see now… Won't be interrupting my Arx replay for this though
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#38

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 18:37
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
That's definitely true. German mags do in fact love German games and especially Piranha Bytes so PB will always get a few bonus points. Who doesn't remember Gothic 3 that collected high scores from several German mags initially? Some of the mags got caught red-handed and had to readjust their scores when the outrage over the true qualities (or lack thereof) of Gothic 3 started. It was very embarrassing for some of the bigger German mags (especially Gamestar).
G3 was before the war.

I disagree that German mags generally give bonus points German games. IMHO it's more the opposite, with a few exceptions (Anno, PB games, Ascaron's games).
The PB bonus is not such a big problem because Bethesda, Bioware and Blizzard get at least the same bonus, if not more. It's unfair to the 2nd tier - from the perspective of the German market - : Larian, Deck 13, Obsidian (if not working for Bethesda), etc. But it's like that everywhere. The Big Bs get a 5-10% bonus on their review scores for whatever reason.

The rating niveau is generally lower in Germany. An 85 here is equivalent to a 90 in the US. A German 85 is "very good", a US 85 only "good". And it's totally clear that every game under 80% definitely sucks.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#39

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,918

Default 

April 22nd, 2012, 18:45
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
In Risen 2's case it's kinda funny, too. The mags criticize the weak plot, the weak quests (FedEx FTW!), the lack of challenging fights due to the simple mechanics (including a too easy final boss fight apparently), graphical and AI bugs, and "wooden" characters.
All in all these are issues that would not seem too irrelevant for a RPG and yet Risen 2 gets these high scores.
Damn, for a second I thought you're describing Oblivion. (Haven't played Skyrim yet.)

I both agree and disagree. It's strange they don't see all this as important. But on the other hand it doesn't matter for the scores competing RPGs get. So why should it matter for Risen 2?

Detail corrections:
The reviews don't criticize "the weak quests" but rather that a number of quests are rather simple. That's a big difference.
Furthermore it seems the "wooden characters" are a huge improvement over the first Risen - and only Bioware invests enough money to avoid this problem. So it's genre standard.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#40

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,918
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Delayed till August!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:11.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch