|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of Thrones - Preview @ RPS

Default Game of Thrones - Preview @ RPS

May 3rd, 2012, 01:36
Alec Meer has penned a preview of Game of Thrones at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, presumably from the recent press events. Alec notes he'd need to play the game for himself to form a real opinion but the tone certainly seems positive:
The other major foundation of Martinís books and the resultant show (sexy funtimes aside) is, of course, wanton violence. GOT:TG seemed to have all the hallmarks of a hacky-slashy meathead marathon, so I was a little surprised to discover that itís actually built around tactical pause-time combat in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age. To an even greater degree than those are, I think. You pause, up pops some ability menus with the fight going on in super-super-slow motion behind it, you chain together up to 3 attacks, moves, spells, potions and whatnot, including switching foes mid-fight if you wish, you resume and then it all plays out in real-time.
Itís also surprisingly statty. In a somewhat MMOish way perhaps, with messages like Ďbleedingí, Ďmissí and precise HP loss popping, but in many cases this is there as a prompt to employ particular abilities. Mors, for instance, has special attacks which will cause double damage to bleeding enemies. Hammering your way through apparently wonít get you very far, so in theory itís a game of thrones, observation, tactical thinking and even memorisation.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 3rd, 2012, 01:36
As long as this is not bug ridden I'm putting it on my buy list. Mainly for the combat.

sakichop

SasqWatch

May 3rd, 2012, 06:32
Same here. Strangely, Risen 2 has fallen off my list, and this one has tentatively landed on it.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

May 3rd, 2012, 18:47
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
As long as this is not bug ridden I'm putting it on my buy list. Mainly for the combat.
I agree, I love the books/show but so often with these VG adaptations they are just money grabs that end up turning out sub-par products. Definitely going to wait on some reviews for this one.

bangarang

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of Thrones - Preview @ RPS