|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Souls - Sells 1.19M in NA and Europe

Default Dark Souls - Sells 1.19M in NA and Europe

May 10th, 2012, 14:04
For the amount of noise about Dark Souls I'd have thought the numbers would be bigger. Anyway, Joystiq reports the title has sold 1.19M units across NA and Europe - with the 300k or so in Japan, that makes around 1.5M in total, which was enough to give Namco Bandai a strong bottom line.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 10th, 2012, 14:04
I wonder how much it cost to make and market?

DarNoor

Sentinel

May 10th, 2012, 20:47
well its units .. units are not priced the same right?
I am not very clear on this.

borcanu

muist

May 10th, 2012, 21:15
I keep reading about how many units a particular game sold. But, i don't read about how much revenue it brought in. I'm just curious to know what the game profited. Because, that's what really matters.

DarNoor

Sentinel

May 10th, 2012, 21:47
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post
I keep reading about how many units a particular game sold. But, i don't read about how much revenue it brought in. I'm just curious to know what the game profited. Because, that's what really matters.
You can get a rough estimate if you multiply by the average MSRP, deduct around 40-50% for replication, packaging, shipping, retailer/wholesaler margin, Sony/MS fees, rebates, circulars, POS displays, etc., and then if it's considered an AAA game, the marketing cost can range anywhere from $20-80m or so.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

May 10th, 2012, 21:57
Well, people who like their games punishingly hard are very vocal (because there haven't been that many games to their liking lately) but they are still not the majority.

moonmonster

Watcher

May 11th, 2012, 01:06
Originally Posted by moonmonster View Post
Well, people who like their games punishingly hard are very vocal (because there haven't been that many games to their liking lately) but they are still not the majority.
I wonder if the combination of their marketting and the tone of the posts on IGN and other game-news related sites created something similar to the effect of Porsche's marketting in the 1990's.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2012, 08:36
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
I wonder if the combination of their marketting and the tone of the posts on IGN and other game-news related sites created something similar to the effect of Porsche's marketting in the 1990's.
Uh? Nah. Most people just don't want a game that is punishingly hard, that's all. Besides, it's very unlikely that the game had a particularly high budget, both dev-wise and for the marketing, so those to me are pretty damn good numbers.

I'm not a bug, I'm a feature!

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Souls - Sells 1.19M in NA and Europe