|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Composer Announced

Default Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Composer Announced

May 11th, 2012, 17:31
Sam Hulick (Mass Effect series) has been named as the composer for the new areas in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
SAM HULICK SCORES MUSIC FOR BALDUR'S GATE: ENCHANCED EDITION
May 10, 2012 - Overhaul Games is pleased to announce that Sam Hulick will be composing music for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™.

Hulick is best known for scoring BioWare's epic roleplaying games Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and most recently, Mass Effect 3. His original compositions for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™ will be featured alongside new gameplay content, complementing the games' acclaimed original soundtracks.

"The music of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II was a huge inspiration for me as a composer who was just venturing forth into the world of writing music for games. So to be able to travel back in time, so to speak, and score original material for the Baldur's Gate saga is a dream come true for me," said Sam.

You can follow Sam Hulick on twitter @samhulick. For all information regarding Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™, visit www.baldursgate.com.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 11th, 2012, 17:31
Very cool, guy is talented.

Paul

Watchdog

May 11th, 2012, 20:32
Yeah, the music in Mass Effect is top notch.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 12th, 2012, 00:48
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I'm sure he will do fine, but he will have some pressure to perform. The BG series music is pretty amazing. It has such an epic feel to it. It's by far my favorite music of any game I played so far.

The BG Enhanced team is growing and has lots of talent. I suppose the extra content will be fairly substantial then. I was thinking about doing another un of BG, but when I heard about the enhanced game I held off. I'm pretty stoked about anything new BG material. I hope it will be out in time for my vacation this summer!

spiraling69

Sentinel

May 12th, 2012, 00:53
I turn the music in games all the way down anyway.(when given the option) Seems weird running around a forest or what not with music always playing.

sakichop

SasqWatch

May 12th, 2012, 00:56
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I turn the music in games all the way down anyway.(when given the option) Seems weird running around a forest or what not with music always playing.
I tend to do the same, but to me the music had a big impact on making BG the game that it is.

spiraling69

Sentinel

May 12th, 2012, 01:27
I am very sensitive to music and thus consider it to be one of the most important elements in a game or any other media. It actually has the power to make or break a game in my case.

Despite being praised by some, I consider the music in Mass Effect to be really awful to such a degree that it noticeably reduced my enjoyment of the game, particularly during the action and Mako sequences. Thankfully, IMO it significantly improved in ME2.
Last edited by Asdraguuhl; May 12th, 2012 at 01:45.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

May 12th, 2012, 20:40
Couldnt care less. Im starting to be anti-music in games, i turn it off pretty soon due to the "battle music" that starts magically playing when an enemy aggros. Its like you dont even have to look for enemies, just walk around snd when the music changes you know its time to fight. Annoying all the more when an enemy aggros, and cant get to you, so youre walking around in circles with the battle tune playing, trying to figure out where the trapped dummy is

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 13th, 2012, 02:04
The one thing that really bugs me about battle music is that it's often far too loud compared to exploration music. I really like listening to music that adds to the atmosphere, but sometimes I need to turn it down just to avoid getting my ears blown out when I enter combat.

Maylander

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2012, 02:05
There was music in ME series? Oo I must have completely tuned out… only music I remember in ME series is during space travel and probe launching… and that quickly got very annoying.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

May 13th, 2012, 02:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

Here's an example. I'm sure you'll recognize it. It's fitting in my opinion, I like it.

Maylander

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2012, 02:55
I'm probably being too grouchy about it, I guess I do like a little atmospheric music while I explore sometimes. The original Diablo music comes to mind. I just hate battle music

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 13th, 2012, 09:56

Here's an example. I'm sure you'll recognize it. It's fitting in my opinion, I like it.
Ahh… yes, I do recognise it. Funny how I couldn't remember it at all. Maybe because whole thing fit in really well?

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

May 13th, 2012, 10:51
I don't particularly find the ME 1 or 2 soundtracks that memorable, (haven't played ME 3 yet..) although one or two tracks are ok. The Galaxy Map music is probably the track I like and remember most, as it reminds me of some 80s ambient stuff that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJtYfF72Io

So whilst this news isn't completely meaningful to me - fingers crossed the chap can do a good job with the new material and remain true to the spirit of the original soundtrack, which is brilliant.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

May 13th, 2012, 15:04
I really like this particular track from ME2. It sounds very Hollywood Blockbusterish and is shamelessly heroic but it does a very good job at evoking the right mood for the setting.

But if I am correct, this track is composed by Jack Wall and not Sam Hulick, the one contracted for BG EE.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Composer Announced