|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Silly Walmart…

Default Silly Walmart…

November 1st, 2013, 04:42
I saw this guy sitting on a shelf at Walmart a few weeks ago — only a few years after the game has been shut down. What a deal, right? Only $29?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (94.0 KB, 92 views)
Korplem is offline

Korplem

Korplem's Avatar
Shipwreck

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Posts: 808

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 04:58
I worked at Walmart for a year. You would be surprised by the old stock of games just sitting in boxes. That and the electronic workers lack of knowledge when it comes to games.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 9,710

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 08:44
Didn't the servers shut down in 2009?
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,519

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 14:26
That's an collector's item by now. And thus, valuable.

I was too late getting one - it was sold out even (or especially ?) after the servers had been shut down.

I hade a few screenshots just before the shut down was performed, and all of the Watch's "PictureWatch" Tabula Rasa screenshots were made by me.

Edit : Just checked : On Ebay Germany someone tries to sell the CD for 60 Euros.
The regular versions can be bought by 2-30 Euros, depending on the seller.

Amazon Germany has 1 specimen left with the price of 60 Euros (sold through Amazon Marketplace, apparently, plus others by 42 Euros.

Some even sell a rest of Tabula Rasa keyboards.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,987

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 16:30
First to say never heard of that game and would probably forget I've seen it here in a day or two.

I've said in another thread. Feudalism, capitalism, socialism, communism and whatever mixes are dead.
We're living in the era of fraudism. Offer any kind of useless junk - there will be someone to buy it. And if you've invested into marketing, you'll sell even more of it. "Sex sells" is a thing of ancient history, now it's "fraud sells".

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,121

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 18:28
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
First to say never heard of that game and would probably forget I've seen it here in a day or two.

I've said in another thread. Feudalism, capitalism, socialism, communism and whatever mixes are dead.
We're living in the era of fraudism. Offer any kind of useless junk - there will be someone to buy it. And if you've invested into marketing, you'll sell even more of it. "Sex sells" is a thing of ancient history, now it's "fraud sells".
This is probably not fraud as that requires knowledge and intent. This is more likely a mistake as a result of ignorance and incompetence.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 19:03
There is no more fraud today than there was 100 years ago. If anything, its much better. Just look at the advertising from the early 1900s. You could claim anything you want (and they did), with zero to back it up.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett
blatantninja is offline

blatantninja

blatantninja's Avatar
Resident Redneck Facist

#7

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,087

Default 

November 1st, 2013, 20:51
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I worked at Walmart for a year. You would be surprised by the old stock of games just sitting in boxes. That and the electronic workers lack of knowledge when it comes to games.
True, I started working part time in the Wall-Mart electronics department about five months ago and I went over all the stock with the manager to update everything in the department, and there was a lot both hardware and software to get rid of-example: a boxed Compaq desktop computer still running XP lol.

I was surprised how little the people in the department new about basic electronics there, many of them younger and I thought would know a lot more than they did.
It's worked out good for me as I am the go-to electronics guy now for this store lol.
Warmark is offline

Warmark

Sentinel

#8

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver , Canada
Posts: 383

Default 

November 2nd, 2013, 03:55
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
That's an collector's item by now. And thus, valuable.

I was too late getting one - it was sold out even (or especially ?) after the servers had been shut down.

I hade a few screenshots just before the shut down was performed, and all of the Watch's "PictureWatch" Tabula Rasa screenshots were made by me.

Edit : Just checked : On Ebay Germany someone tries to sell the CD for 60 Euros.
The regular versions can be bought by 2-30 Euros, depending on the seller.

Amazon Germany has 1 specimen left with the price of 60 Euros (sold through Amazon Marketplace, apparently, plus others by 42 Euros.

Some even sell a rest of Tabula Rasa keyboards.
That's interesting. I checked the US amazon/ebay and the highest asking price that I saw was $35. I wonder if the German version is more valuable in Germany due to localization of the materials?

Warmark, you're right that these youngins aren't as familiar with computers/technology as you'd expect. I think it may be that they have always had a computer in their house and took it for granted, whereas even only slightly older people remember getting their first computer and were more excited about it, leading to more exploration of it.
Korplem is offline

Korplem

Korplem's Avatar
Shipwreck

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Posts: 808

Default 

November 2nd, 2013, 04:03
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
This is probably not fraud as that requires knowledge and intent. This is more likely a mistake as a result of ignorance and incompetence.
We have a different definition of it then.
Asking money for something useless, no matter if seller knows it's useless or not, is a pure fraud.
Honestly, if I lived there, wherever it is, I'd deliberately buy it, then would play stupid and sue them.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#10

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,121

Default 

November 2nd, 2013, 05:58
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
We have a different definition of it then.
Asking money for something useless, no matter if seller knows it's useless or not, is a pure fraud.
Honestly, if I lived there, wherever it is, I'd deliberately buy it, then would play stupid and sue them.
I'm just using the actually definition of fraud, which is what you would need to do if you wanted to sue.

I'm not sure Joxer's "definition of fraud" would hold up in a court of law.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

November 6th, 2013, 16:12
Originally Posted by Korplem View Post
That's interesting. I checked the US amazon/ebay and the highest asking price that I saw was $35. I wonder if the German version is more valuable in Germany due to localization of the materials?
No.

People just believe that Germany are just crazy enough to spend those sums. Nerds, especially.

Others (probably the sdame ones) go after the rule "there's always one idiot waking up any day".

People just assume us Germany to be rich.

Plus, there's also this tax thing.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#12

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,987
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Silly Walmart…
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch