|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Wot I Think @ RPS

Default Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Wot I Think @ RPS

May 15th, 2012, 10:38
Adam Smith from RPS has penned a Wot I Think for Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on PC:
Despite containing the horror of gas attacks, trench warfare, zombies and shoggoths, the story is more camp than creepy, with echoes of Wolfenstein and Hellboy. Itís serviceable enough, if on the short side. I donít like to mention price but given that there are only nine missions, itís useful to know that at $4.99 thereís a few hours of entertainment here. Itíd be an uncannily lucky fellow who survived the later missions on a first attempt and even if so, the multiple objectives lead to some tough, drawn out defensive knuckling down.
No gasts will be flabbered by The Wasted Land but itís a stern challenge with a strong set of numbers and rules governing its combat. As is often the case with this sort of turn-based skirmishing, thereís sometimes a puzzle-like precision needed to achieve victory, but in The Wasted Land thereís usually enough leeway for triumph to feel personal and well-earned, which made every minute I spent testing my mettle satisfying at the very least. And thatís in spite of the rough interface, which insists that the mouse button is clicked and then held for the majority of actions leading to the occasional mad slide around the map in an attempt to target a large man with a machine gun.
They also found the Intel AppUp thingy fairly harmless, so have a read if this is on your list.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 15th, 2012, 10:38
Freud strikes again. It's Call Of Cthulhu Ė The Wasted Land, not Dark Corners of Earth.

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

May 15th, 2012, 12:36
I'm a big fan of strategy rpgs so I purchased this when I saw it was out on PC. I only played it for a short time before uninstalling it. My experience is that it suffers horribly from being a touch-based interface that doesn't work well with a mouse. I had trouble with buttons not registering clicks and the map scrolling function not working well. These two things made the game unplayable for me. Thankfully Intel AppUp gives you a 24 hour period after purchase in which you can request a full refund.

Kirk

Traveler

May 15th, 2012, 14:05
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
Freud strikes again. It's Call Of Cthulhu Ė The Wasted Land, not Dark Corners of Earth.
Bugger.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 15th, 2012, 14:13
I'm playing it on the iPad. Seems ok to me. Reminds me of Silent Storm a little. No destructible buildings or anything like that, but it's one of the best games I have for the iPad and iPhone.

BTW, yes I broke down and bought the stupid iPad thing. Too many games I liked were starting to come out for it like this one, Vogel's, Rimelands and a few others . It's better than I thought although there are a flood of "freemium" games for it. As of now I'm just glad that Cthulhu didn't have any stupid gems to purchase to make the game complete.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

May 16th, 2012, 03:22
Waiting for the planned Android version, if that ever happens.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

May 16th, 2012, 05:40
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I'm playing it on the iPad. Seems ok to me. Reminds me of Silent Storm a little. No destructible buildings or anything like that, but it's one of the best games I have for the iPad and iPhone.

BTW, yes I broke down and bought the stupid iPad thing. Too many games I liked were starting to come out for it like this one, Vogel's, Rimelands and a few others . It's better than I thought although there are a flood of "freemium" games for it. As of now I'm just glad that Cthulhu didn't have any stupid gems to purchase to make the game complete.
Off topic…you may want to check silver sword out as well as The quest.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/silve…470888383?mt=8

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - Wot I Think @ RPS