|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Indie RPGs - Because We May Sale

Default Indie RPGs - Because We May Sale

May 25th, 2012, 02:59
A number of indies have joined forces for a Because We May Sale, which celebrates portals that allow indies to control their own pricing.
Among the games we follow that are participating, you can get great deals on:
Frayed Knights - $9.95 (normally $24.95)
Telepath: Servants of God - 40% off
Avadon for $5
Dungeons of Dredmor and DLC - 50% off
IndieRPGs.com has a list of all the RPGs in the sale, which inclues others such as Cthulhu Saves the World, Dark Scavenger and more. Sale ends June 1st.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 25th, 2012, 02:59
I've considered FK and ToG. I already own Avadon, and I'm not big on roguelikes.

Any thoughts on either FK or ToG?

killias2:
Steam is the only answer. It's convenient, it's easy to use, it's simple and fast. It's great.

killias2

Sentinel

May 25th, 2012, 03:15
Past time that I purchased Frayed Knights Thanks for the heads-up ! And thanks Jay for participating in this sale!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

May 25th, 2012, 03:20
I think Frayed Knights is worth it. Granted I thought it was worth it for the $25 price too. Primary draw I'll say is the turn based combat, and it does it well.

jwmeep

Watchdog

May 25th, 2012, 03:29
Frayed Knights is well worth it, and a steal at that price. I enjoyed the turn based combat and the humor and character banter was done really well. Coyote is also a frequent poster on this forum too.

I have Avadon and Dungeons of Dredmor from earlier Steam sales. Avadon is pretty good, although I didn't consider it one of Vogel's best - still worth the asking price though. I haven't got around to playing Dungeons of Dredmor yet.

Xian

Watchdog

May 25th, 2012, 08:03
I can't find Frayed Knights and Telepath on Steam. Only in America realeases, or am I somewhat blind? Lots of other -50% indies, though.

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

May 25th, 2012, 08:35
I don't believe Frayed Knights is on Steam. I believe you can only get it directly from the developer. Just follow the link in the news blurb above.

And another thanks to Jay for putting it on sale. I am also overdue to pick this one up. I'll buy it when I get off the road for work. I have no idea when I'll actually have the time to play it, but I'll buy it.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

May 25th, 2012, 09:13
Check out my review of FK if you are in any doubt at all; then get it and more importantly, PLAY it!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

May 25th, 2012, 09:46
Great bundle, except for the fact I already own all of them except Telepath…

FK: I second the recommendations above: apart from the graphics, this game is an absolute highlight. And no, it's not on steam, because steam didn't want it. It's on Desura though, and maybe other portals.
Avadon is also a great deal for that price - it may not be Jeffs best, but its' still a great, long TB, party-based, polished afair.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 25th, 2012, 10:08
[RANT = ON]

I don't understand the world today. This is what people get excited about in 2012? Honestly?

Believe it or not, I double checked every website of all the bundled games and I didn't like any of them with the small exception of "Cthulhu Saves the World" which had something I liked. "Telepath" sounded interesting but I won't be able to force myself into the look of the game (and NO, I am no graphics whore). But here comes the twist: I cannot buy CStW, too - because it's friggin STEAM. Don't these guys want to earn some money? Jeesh.

And Frayed Knights? I read about the game, watched the videos, followed the discussion about its awesomeness - but I can't give a rat's a$$ about the game. My bad, maybe.

[RANT = OFF]

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

May 25th, 2012, 11:15
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
[RANT = ON]

… I cannot buy CStW, too - because it's friggin STEAM. Don't these guys want to earn some money? Jeesh.

[RANT = OFF]
Like it or not, I think they earn quite a lot of money being on Steam.

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

May 25th, 2012, 11:23
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
[RANT = OFF]
Thank god!
Well, different strokes for different folks.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 25th, 2012, 12:50
Personally, I just don't understand why games have to be on Steam, actually.

Okay, it prevents pirating to some degree.

But I recentl found Terraria BOXED in retail. An instant buy ! I rejoiced. I always wanted this game !!!

Then my look on the sys reqs : Steam.

My face dropped.

Why should I buy an RETAIL game that is identical to what I'd buy at Steam ?

And everyone knows that I don't buy at Steam. I have an account there, yes, but the EULAs are something I don't like (and yes, I do belong to the tiny group of people who consciously read them through !).
Plus, as an European, I'd be forced to pay much more there, too.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 25th, 2012, 13:49
CStW is on Gamersgate and Desura, just not on sale, but still very cheap (£2). As for why Steam? It's quite simple, their market share is enormous compared to other DD sites. CStW sold over 100,000 copies on Steam, the combined sales from GG and Desura were a small fraction of that.

DPB

Watchdog

May 25th, 2012, 13:57
Alrik, what do you use your steam account for?

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

May 25th, 2012, 13:58
That's what I'm talking about! Got Frayed Knights and Avadon

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

May 25th, 2012, 14:07
Originally Posted by SonOfCapiz View Post
Alrik, what do you use your steam account for?
Originally, I used it to redeem the code that was standing on a card that was given out at the Valve booth at the Games Com in 2010.

It turned out to be a code for Team Fortress, which I had once begun, played its tutorial a bit, in offline mode, until there was a message saying something of an anti-cheating measure and basically kicking me out of the game. As far as I understood it, because I played offline. I haven't touched it since then.

Afterwards, I downloaded a few demos of games I just wanted to try out, but, to be frank, I never did so so far.

So, my account is currently of no use for me.

I think that I should cancel it one day.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 25th, 2012, 19:48
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Personally, I just don't understand why games have to be on Steam, actually.

Okay, it prevents pirating to some degree.

But I recentl found Terraria BOXED in retail. An instant buy ! I rejoiced. I always wanted this game !!!

Then my look on the sys reqs : Steam.

My face dropped.

Why should I buy an RETAIL game that is identical to what I'd buy at Steam ?

And everyone knows that I don't buy at Steam. I have an account there, yes, but the EULAs are something I don't like (and yes, I do belong to the tiny group of people who consciously read them through !).
Plus, as an European, I'd be forced to pay much more there, too.
Like you, I don’t like Steam, Origin or such. Actually I didn’t have a problem with Steam until some games forced me to install it to my system. So I found the solution, I bought the box copy, but also download the illegal but DRM free version from the internet and install it instead. I have boxed versions of Fallout NV, Skyrim and KoA: Reckoning, but pirated versions were installed in my system because of this.

In case of indie RPGs it seems silly to me selling the game “only” on Steam or else. I can understand using platforms like these to reach larger gaming audience, but it musn’t be the only solution for gamers who wants to play the game. I purchased Eschalon, Avadon, FK and LoG on day one. Because they presented me an option to buy DRM-free version. But I don’t buy any indie game from Steam, etc. Indie RPG developers shouldn’t afraid from pirating, because they’re catering to a niche market .

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2012, 22:30
Avadon for 5 bucks. Yeeehaaa!

duerer

Watcher

May 26th, 2012, 00:34
Indie developers want to get on Steam because it'll mean a huge number of sales they otherwise wouldn't get. I don't blame them. It's the central hub for PC gaming, after all. It's earned its reputation.

The other day I decided to install Frayed Knights again. I know it has been patched once or twice since release and I figured I'd download it again just so I had the newest version. I had to dig through my email for about 20 minutes looking for the BT Micro link and my login/password for the download. It's understandable that I had to do that, but it certainly was more of a hassle than installing anything I have in my Steam library. I'd totally prefer it to be there.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Indie RPGs - Because We May Sale