|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Default RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

May 29th, 2012, 09:54
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
So far only small studios gone self publishing
Valve, Bethesda are small?

TheSisko

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 09:55
Btw will there be boxed version or just digial distribution anyone know(Boxed DRM free version would be awsome)?
It's in the article. There will be both digital distribution and boxed versions available. The latter might not be available world-wide perhaps.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 29th, 2012, 10:02
Interesting.

I have concerns about how the features will work from a pacing perspective - conversations could be dragged out if there are too many mini-games between players just to determine what response is said.

Turn-based combat can also impact pacing negatively - it works great for older games as they are often quite small. But I have less concern about that as I'm sure that will be balanced for fine.

Onto Ultima VII… as mentioned, the virtual world interactivity and NPC scheduling are what makes that game for me. If they can nail that atmosphere then I am probably sold.

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 10:32
Originally Posted by TheSisko View Post
Valve, Bethesda are small?
Bethesda is publisher they publish games from thier own studios yes but they also publish game from studios not owned by ZeniMax.As for valve I just overlooked them my mistake but they are bit unique case

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

May 29th, 2012, 10:34
Sounds good. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a good coop CRPG again, to lure my wife back into gaming, and now this comes along and actually promises to do something interesting with the co-op concept!
Pretty whacky monster design though - not sure I like that.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 29th, 2012, 10:36
Every time I see someone complain about this game having turn based combat (and there's been a lot- every site that posted about this features this complaint in the comments), I want to scream. REALLY?? You aren't satisfied with the five billion ARPGs released every day that you have to complain about one turn based game being announced? Go away!!! It's about time developers start releasing these kinds of games and it's these irritating complainers that make it into something only self-publishers can do.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

May 29th, 2012, 10:40
Bethesda is publisher they publish games from thier own studios yes but they also publish game from studios not owned by ZeniMax.As for valve I just overlooked them my mistake but they are bit unique case
Also, CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Stardock. What does it matter that Bethesda also publishes other developers games? Just like Larian they eventually became rich enough to publish their own games, except then they got even richer and started buying other studios.

TheSisko

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 10:40
I think most of us here are looking forward to some turn based combat.

Daniel.

darklord

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 10:45
Also, CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Stardock. What does it matter that Bethesda also publishes other developers games? Just like Larian they eventually became rich enough to publish their own games, except then they got even richer and started buying other studios.
Touche.I must admit I was wrong with my statement I am just going to crawl back to my corner

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

May 29th, 2012, 10:58
This is pretty amazing, didn't expect this much old school goodness. I was a huge fan of the first game and this looks like it will be continuing the same style of game play and world. Of course, nothing is perfect and I would have preferred a darker and more realistic art style, the one in the screen shots is a little too "bright" (as in mood) and a touch cartoony, but its a minor quibble considering all the other positives, and as that internet saying goes - "Please, take my money!" when this is released.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

May 29th, 2012, 10:58
Touche.I must admit I was wrong with my statement I am just going to crawl back to my corner
Well, I didn't intend to put you down I'm glad that Larian seems genuine about using their freedom for taking creative risks and making games they are passionate about.

TheSisko

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 11:00
Turn-based isometric sounds really good. I wouldn't have liked a real-time hack&slash isometric game like Divine Divinity but a turn-based one with action points sounds really nice. On paper at least. Bring on a demo already, please!

Moriendor

Spielkind

May 29th, 2012, 11:31
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
It's in the article. There will be both digital distribution and boxed versions available. The latter might not be available world-wide perhaps.
I'm Belgian, but live in the UK, who wants a delivery service for the UK ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 29th, 2012, 12:11
So, Wasteland 2 and now this. Hope this puts a stop to the ridiculous "Game X was the last RPG EVER and we're NEVER going to get another game like Game X again!".
*cough* *cough*

Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Every time I see someone complain about this game having turn based combat (and there's been a lot- every site that posted about this features this complaint in the comments), I want to scream. REALLY?? You aren't satisfied with the five billion ARPGs released every day that you have to complain about one turn based game being announced? Go away!!! It's about time developers start releasing these kinds of games and it's these irritating complainers that make it into something only self-publishers can do.
I agree, personally.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 29th, 2012, 12:15
So Alrik, is it looking cheerful enough to raise your interest?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 29th, 2012, 12:30
Holy smokes! Excellent news, most excellent. Isometric 3D and U7-like world interaction I was willing to believe before this article, but turn-based combat I thought wouldn't make the cut no matter what the promises or plans were. Very happy to have been wrong. Div:OS is looking mighty fine indeed. And the mod kit/editor being released along with the game - sweet! Three cheers for Larian!

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

May 29th, 2012, 13:48
Best preview I've read on this so far. Now I have another game to buy and play. I can't wait to see what they will show in the next few months/week.

The article mention it's a new engine, but they made the UI looks quite similar to the one in Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity. I hope they don't change it too much, I always like it.

As for the strange monsters, I put the blame on the Chaos magic. I also saw some sort of mech in one of the screen and strange tech weapons in concept arts. The setting seems a bit more steampunk too.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

May 29th, 2012, 13:57
WOW! if this turns out anywhere near Ultima 7 quality but with great combat……. it's going to be the best game released since Ultima 7!!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 14:07
Someone wake me up when the TB frenzy has ended and we get some more oldschool, party based RTwP games.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 29th, 2012, 14:22
Holy God in Heaven!

This is amazing! I love Divine Divinity - it's the best hack and slash RPG I've ever played (yes, even more so than the Diablo series or Torchlight).

And they're going turn-based. That's a big risky step but hell, this is Larian! They can definitely make it work!

Oh man, I am SOOOOO looking forward to this!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview