|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Default RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

May 29th, 2012, 15:18
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Someone wake me up when the TB frenzy has ended and we get some more oldschool, party based RTwP games.
Try Drakensang 2 if you haven't already. (Says a biased fanboy .)

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 29th, 2012, 15:47
This is the best gaming news I've heard this year, thanks Myrthos!
I love the isometric style of DivDiv and love turn based combat so what a surprise to see both featured plus so much more.

Larian Studios have now become what BioWare used to be for me when getting excited about their new projects.

Warmark

Sentinel

May 29th, 2012, 15:54
What does
"Multiplayer is enabled through Steamworks integration when playing online - when you play in multiplayer mode locally Steamworks integrations is not required."

mean? Specifically 'multiplayer mode locally'? Is this split screen? Two controls at one screen? Or is this LAN?

If LAN, are you saying we only need one copy of the game due to lack of steamworks? Will the game be licensed for more than one computer?

I see huge potential if the story is designed for two-player co-op

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 16:07
Great preview, thanks!
I´m sooo looking forward to this.
Pretty much everything about this sounds really promising.

In this cooperative multiplayer mode, a maximum of 4 players can play, but there are only two lead characters - two more players can play using mercenaries that are be hired in the game. However, the game can also be played single-player, where the player controls the whole party.
Enemies are not automatically leveled to your level, but combat will be scaled depending on how many players are participating in the game as fights would otherwise become too easy or too hard.
Considering the first quote, I wonder how exactly the co-op translates into SP in the case of the second one.
Assuming that hiring and controlling mercenaries is possible in SP as well, is the combat difficulty scaled per party size there too? Scaling the combat in co-op makes sense since this way the combat should provide the same level of involvement regardless of number of participants, but doing so in SP seems weird.
For SP, I´d prefer the difficulty to be always the same and balancing measures to be implemented on the mercenaries´ side (they make combat easier, but leech resources, don´t follow the two main protagonists everywhere, and so on).

One other question which comes to mind in regards to co-op - SP translation is how the dialogues work. Since there seem to be some dialogue stat checks involved (or quest solutions where one character does the talking while the other one sneaks around), one possible system might be letting player pick a main protagonist in the beginning for the sake of controlling responses in party banters, but leaving player control possible over both in the case of pc - npc interactions (like letting players pick the one who´ll do the talking in the beginning of conversations). Or does player always control the one picked in the beginning, while the other one is always computer controlled (or silent in pc-npc interactions)? Or?

DeepO

deep outside

May 29th, 2012, 16:13
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Gothics 1 & 2 are a little more subtle.
I´m quite sure that character daily routines and jobs were inspired by Ultima and these elements definitely haven´t come off as subtle to me .
Also, smithing.

DeepO

deep outside

May 29th, 2012, 17:08
Blog entry : http://www.lar.net/2012/05/29/divini…-sin-revealed/

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 29th, 2012, 17:24
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
There's an official website for the game with a video!

Also, RPGWatch made the top of the list.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

May 29th, 2012, 17:26
Thank you, really enjoyed the video.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 29th, 2012, 17:28
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
I´m quite sure that character daily routines and jobs were inspired by Ultima and these elements definitely haven´t come off as subtle to me .
Also, smithing.
Yes I agree! I lack an omnipresent mind that can recall all details and facts at any moment in time. But you are right!

Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
In my opinion, the simulated virtual world interactivity in U7 has never really been bettered in a modern cRPG. Whilst arguably for me, Divine Divinity showed much more of a Diablo 2 influence, (particularly in the combat mechanics) the game world and item interactivity, humour and such showed that there was much more to the game than the combat.
I agree with that. Back in 2004 I wrote a small player review of DD at GameSpot that compared the game to U7, Diablo 2, and Baldur's Gate.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
Last edited by TheMadGamer; May 29th, 2012 at 17:42.

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 17:38
I really like Larian and I love TB combat so I am liking this announcement. But, I am not quite as excited as many here.

I do not like the art style much at all. Way too cartoony and does not give me the right vibe. For some games (like King's Bounty) cartoony works, but I wish they had went a different direction art wise here.

Second, I am only interested in the single player. I'll have to wait and see how much the focus on multi-player and co-op affects the gameplay in the single player mode.

Color me cautiously optimistic.

xenocide

Watcher

May 29th, 2012, 17:44
I think the visuals and animations look great. The monster design is a bit strange though imo, at least what I've seen so far. It's definitely not a high-fantasy style like Divine Divinity. Not sure how I feel about that…

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2012, 18:01
That video was great, the seamless transfer into turn-based combat looked great, as well as the team mechanics they are building. Super excited now, and might buy Dragon Commander to help finance this.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

May 29th, 2012, 18:02
This game looks absolutely beautiful from all possible standpoints, I love the setup, and their video on divinity site is incredibly charming. I like these belgian chaps.

Paul

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 18:14
Thanks for the link! That Youtube video of the game was amazing!

WOOOOT!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 29th, 2012, 18:22
Awesome, awesome news! While I'm no big fan of Larian's previous output, the addition of turn-based combat is truly a game changer in this regard. Can't wait!

Demiath

Watcher

May 29th, 2012, 18:58
Well, I HOPE the combat and inventory management is not dreadful like U7.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 29th, 2012, 19:10
The only thing I need now is a girlfriend to play this game with.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 29th, 2012, 19:10
Wow. Jazzed about this. Divinity was a great game compared to most RPGs these days.

Gutted

Watcher

May 29th, 2012, 19:34
When I saw the headline stating a new Divinity game was coming out, I thought to myself "nice!"

Then I saw turn-based with control of a party, now I'm extremely excited. I love a good turn-based RPG, there are so few of them these days. The hardest part will be waiting a whole year. I'll have to make sure to buy right away when released (instead of waiting for price drops like I normally do) to offset the turn based nay-sayers and show that there is an audience for this type of game.

dpc76

Watchdog

May 29th, 2012, 19:37
Wow, if they can pull it off this will be a great multiplayer game!

basharran

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview