|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of Thrones - Review @ RPS

Default Game of Thrones - Review @ RPS

June 1st, 2012, 23:33
Alec Meer from Rock, Paper, Shotgun has penned a Game of Thrones Wot I Think based on that rare of rare items, the PC version. Alec has a number of criticisms but finds the script is "faithful in an intrinsic way" and the tactical combat builds nicely after a very slow opening. A great read, if you've been thinking about this game:
Itís made from two key ingredients: a fleshed-out and surprising narrative that weaves in and out of the events of the first Song of Ice & Fire book/season of the TV show without either disrupting them or being undermined by them, and combat that blossoms from stilted beginnings into highly tactical crowd control. Also, stealth missions starring a psychic dog. Itís grand and sprawling and silly and brutal and will make about as much sense as a sheep wearing a tie to anyone not reasonably au fait with the books or TV show, and itís a hard sell for sure. It might also be the most fascinating mainstream game Iíve played this year.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 1st, 2012, 23:33
Was surprised at how positive this one ended up being, almost made me pull the trigger…almost

http://www.twitch.tv/slayer/b/318244766

This is a 2 hour video on Twitch.tv from release night. A decent look for those who might have had their interest piqued, but still want more information.
Last edited by Melvil; June 1st, 2012 at 23:56.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

June 1st, 2012, 23:43
Pulled the trigger. I'm a sucker for the source material and will enjoy it for the (widely praised) story, I think, regardless of the gameplay.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 2nd, 2012, 06:29
I don't think much of other sites that have reviewed this game that I have read but RPS is one of the few game sites I trust and with the knowledge I have about this game and this review I think I will like this game when I get it.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

June 2nd, 2012, 07:59
I recommend it to any fans of the books and tv series. The game has everything betrayal/political movements/ and choice and consequences. Shame the larger sites dismiss it as below average .

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 2nd, 2012, 10:06
I bit, so far so good story wise, the combat and character progression have potential as well. The interface forced me into using a 360 controller, and I wish the FoV was a tad pulled back, but minor gripes after KoA:R.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

June 2nd, 2012, 13:49
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
I bit, so far so good story wise, the combat and character progression have potential as well. The interface forced me into using a 360 controller, and I wish the FoV was a tad pulled back, but minor gripes after KoA:R.
really? why do you need a controller for this? I find it plays just fine with keyboard/mouse

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 2nd, 2012, 17:51
Are there any big differences between the console versus PC gameplay? I would like to play this on a console because of a larger screen if it is worth it.

To sum it up, I feel our space program ended up like this. "It's one small step for man. One giant leap for man kind. Oops I fell on my butt after that leap and can't get up anymore."

buckaroobonzai

VR nomad

June 2nd, 2012, 19:47
I have a Razer mouse, and would have had to configure a totally new profile to make the sensitivity bearable. The FoV and menus also felt designed with consoles in mind. Just made sense to use a controller.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

June 4th, 2012, 10:16
I really wish to play this, since I am a sucker for good stories in games. But this line worries me:

Originally Posted by Wot-I-Think
"Öwill make about as much sense as a sheep wearing a tie to anyone not reasonably au fait with the books or TV show"
I am not AT ALL familiar with the setting and have never read/seen any source material. Will this really be a huge problem? Surely, there will be in-game lore to help understand the happenings..??

Aditya

Watcher

June 4th, 2012, 13:11
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I really wish to play this, since I am a sucker for good stories in games. But this line worries me:

I am not AT ALL familiar with the setting and have never read/seen any source material. Will this really be a huge problem? Surely, there will be in-game lore to help understand the happenings..??
Not necessary, but I do recommend you watch the TV series, if only because it's just THE BEST SERIES OF ALL TIME
Events in the game happen at the same time as things in the first season/book. There is in-game lore in the codex, but you have to find the entries in your exploration, so if you don't find one, you miss it. It's pretty cool that you get references that are part of the grand story, but your story is independent.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of Thrones - Review @ RPS