|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Monitor around 100 Euros sought

Default Monitor around 100 Euros sought

July 4th, 2012, 14:12
Hello,

I'm going to buy a new monitor for my parent's PC - it should be something around 100 Euros, if possible under that sum.

Any recommendations ?

I've seen a few by Acer - are they good ?

And what's with WXGA ?

Alrik

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 4th, 2012, 14:55
WXGA is just a name for a graphics resolution of 1280*768
See this image, most graphics resolutions have some kind of letter combination to name them.
Edit: a suggestion i'd make (especially if you're seeking a monitor for older people is to steer clear of any fullhd monitors (but they might be out of your price range anyway). LCD-s only work well with their native resolution, and on anything under 22 inches fullhd resolution looks like flea shit.

tolknaz

Sentinel

July 4th, 2012, 15:28
If you just want a cheap monitor you can as well go into any store and compare the sizes with contrast and resolution.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

July 4th, 2012, 15:35
Acer V223HQV/V225HQV and BenQ 2255 Are cheapest 21.5 inches Full HD monitors that I can remember(little below 100 euros in my country).Those options are good if you want full HD ofc low price have it's drawbacks but I think overall quality is satisfaying and better option than 19 inch monitors that cost similar and have max resolution only 1440x900

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

July 4th, 2012, 15:40
Ah, okay, thank you.

They just want to play small games with it and do their "office" like stuff … They are most certainly not interested in playing games, apart from puzzle games, card games and Mahjongg - this kind of games.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 4th, 2012, 23:04
Acer is generally okay. Pretty average stuff, and priced accordingly. Benq has a slightly better reputation. LG and Samsung are the mainstream market leaders, but other can make good monitors too.

I would advise your parents to spend a little more and buy a 24" TFT. Size does matter. Just tell them they can use it for the next 10 years.
They start at 120, and you should often find one locally for 150. Make sure it has at least DVI, or better DVI + HDMI.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

July 5th, 2012, 01:03
I just grabbed my 2nd 27" for about 200 Euros, which happens to be a BenQ G2750. My older Philips 273E3 have better contrast though, the "smartcontrast" engine seems to do the trick. I dunno if it's available on cheaper smaller monitors though.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

July 5th, 2012, 11:47
Thank you, I bought one yesterday.

I will keep your comments in mind for the other PC my parents have - and which must get a new monitor, too.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Monitor around 100 Euros sought