|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Windows 8

Default Windows 8

June 21st, 2012, 21:45
G'day,
anyone using windows 8 as a gaming platform? If so what games are you playing with it please? I am looking at upgrading (for a variety of reasons) from windoze 7 64-bit to 8.
Thanks!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

June 21st, 2012, 22:11
is it out yet? I thought it was still in beta - or only released to industry - even with all the press still going on right now.

a few things I've heard so far

MS Surface is a huge game changer: Apple has been made irrelevant!

MS Surface is already dead in the water and MS has abandoned it. No new tablets have been ordered from Acer.

MS has stabbed Nokia in the back: the new phones they are releasing are not upgradable to it. Expect Nokia's stock to collapse and then MS to sweep the company up for a song.

Also, the icons are designed for phone/tablet and look real ugly. Its designed for touchscreen, even on desktop.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

June 21st, 2012, 22:27
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Also, the icons are designed for phone/tablet and look real ugly. Its designed for touchscreen, even on desktop.
I can attest to to that. I saw it live recently. Also, no start menu? Seems very awkward.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 21st, 2012, 22:42
Thanks for comments, certainly versions available and there are games compatability lists, any experince?

Re surface, saw it 2 years ago and was seriously impressed.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

June 21st, 2012, 22:51
Microsoft is focusing allot of there business on tablets and smartphones. It's were the moneys at right now. Still they might be shooting themselves in the foot for desktops and laptops.

You can turn off Metro to use basic windows but it's still not the same.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 21st, 2012 at 23:09.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 21st, 2012, 22:59
The Start Menu is said to be deeply hidden, but still there.

I predict that Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista = Windows ME …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 21st, 2012, 23:11
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
The Start Menu is said to be deeply hidden, but still there.

I predict that Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista = Windows ME
Win 8 uses a start screen instead. Here this link might help explain.

Link-http://arstechnica.com/information-t…wkward-hybrid/

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 21st, 2012, 23:17
Avoid it. It's an experimental product for pads.

hishadow

Level N+1

June 21st, 2012, 23:25
Why would a sane person "upgrade" from Windows 7 to 8 on a desktop?! Regardless, I don't foresee any compatibility issues that you had not already experienced under the older OS - Windows 8 is simply a more cumbersome version of Win7 when it comes to desktops.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

June 21st, 2012, 23:47
Windows 8 looks fun. When it becomes real, I'll probably upgrade. The last thing I want to become is one of those luddites going "I won't upgrade my Winders 98 machine because by gum it still works!"

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

June 21st, 2012, 23:53
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Windows 8 looks fun. When it becomes real, I'll probably upgrade. The last thing I want to become is one of those luddites going "I won't upgrade my Winders 98 machine because by gum it still works!"
Good for you I'm not a luddite. I just find nothing that makes me interested in Windows 8. If I want a tablet OS I'll buy a tablet.

I'll wait for the service packs to change the software to be more compatible on the PC. Right now it's an awkward hybrid.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 22nd, 2012, 03:49
It started with the ribbon approach, are we now destined at big bright buttons all over everything? we cant have a simple menu interface anymore, no that's too easy to put everything you need in one spot. I hate this new direction that ms software is taking, the "im a dummy, gimme a big bright button" approach to everything

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 22nd, 2012, 03:54
A little accessible OS to go with your accessible video games.

sakichop

SasqWatch

June 22nd, 2012, 06:19
Bleh, it will us techs in business, that's what Windows 8 is good for.

warmonger3

Ethereal

June 22nd, 2012, 07:11
I like windows 7 and am in no rush to upgrade. What I wanna know is - with so many people gaming these days - where's the "gamer's" version of Windows? There's a zillion other versions of each release (home, ultimate, etc), so why not a stripped down version which gives us maximum free RAM, minimum services running, etc.

No money in it I guess.

badmofo

Tired but happy

June 22nd, 2012, 08:09
With windows emulators on various linux distro's giving better gaming performance then windows itself im thinking i will finally jump ship once they stop updates for win 7 as there is no way in hell i will ever put a tablet OS on my pc.

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

June 22nd, 2012, 09:42
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I like windows 7 and am in no rush to upgrade. What I wanna know is - with so many people gaming these days - where's the "gamer's" version of Windows? There's a zillion other versions of each release (home, ultimate, etc), so why not a stripped down version which gives us maximum free RAM, minimum services running, etc.

No money in it I guess.
Rumor says, that windows 8 will also be the OS for the new Xbox (Xbox 720) as well.
I don't particularly like the look of Windows 8, but that's ultimately not so important. I always thought that the actual desktop in Windows was underused screen estate, so I don't mind them trying something different here. And it's a fact that mobile devices (including tablets and Phones) are gaining prominence - having a common OS and improving compatibility between systems is a good move overall.
For me it's wait and see, but I think there are some good aspects to what has been shown so far.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 22nd, 2012, 12:12
The imho bad thing is that they are trying to push the "Metro" design onto the desktop, too.

On tablets it might work very well (and how fittingly ! Microsoft just announced their own tablet device !), but not on the desktop, that's my opinion.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 22nd, 2012, 14:58
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post

No money in it I guess.
They don't want to compete with Xbox. They already know they will so windows anyway. Microsoft doesn't want people gaming on pc really, that why most of their games are Xbox exclusive.

I'm more surprised nvidia or intel hasn't tried to make a gaming OS. They would benift more. Maybe team up with google, although they seem more fixated on the mobile market.

This is all just my opinion of course.

sakichop

SasqWatch

June 22nd, 2012, 19:40
Based on what I've seen so far, there is not a single thing about Windows 8 that I find appealing.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Windows 8