|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - New Trailer

Default The Witcher - New Trailer

May 2nd, 2007, 02:02
CD Projekt has released a new trailer for The Witcher - here's the blurb from 3D Gamers:
Yet another new movie trailer for The Witcher is now online, again continuing the series of "Making Of" movies for this third-person fantasy action role-playing game being crafted at CD Projekt RED. This high-resolution trailer concentrates on the battle system while focusing on combat animations in nearly two minutes of in game footage.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 2nd, 2007, 02:02
Hmm…that's about the most disappointing thing I've seen for The Witcher. Apart from being too dark on my system, it looked like 3D Diablo with an annoying camera.

I still have high hopes - but more dialogue / choices / exploration videos please.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 2nd, 2007, 04:10
The video is labeled pre-alpha — shouldn't it be a lot further along than that now?

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

May 2nd, 2007, 07:30
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Hmm…that's about the most disappointing thing I've seen for The Witcher. Apart from being too dark on my system, it looked like 3D Diablo with an annoying camera.
Really? I thought Geralt's combat animations were flat-out amazing. I don't think I've seen better. Smooth as silk and just filled to the brim with variety.

I assume they choreographed the camera movements in an attempt to be all John-Woo-Action-Movie-like, but it just ended up being distracting, IMO. I'd seriously doubt the camera moves like this automatically in the actual game a la a platformer.

The outdoor scenery in the second scene did look kind of.. I dunno… weird. May have been the resolution of the video.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

May 2nd, 2007, 08:11
The greatest problem with this movie clip is that the sword hits do not seem to contact. It seems like the character's slashing the air to me. This is very poor indeed, but I'm positive that the Polish guys are more ahead in development than this.

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

May 2nd, 2007, 10:05
I would like to mention that today official The Witcher trailer shoul be available at www.gametrailers.com

nessosin

Watchdog

May 2nd, 2007, 10:10
I thought everything looked smooth and wonderful, but if I had no idea about the game I'd assume it was a console action 'Devil May Cry' style game.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 2nd, 2007, 10:31
I don't really care how smooth the animations looked, to be honest. What I meant was that it looked like pretty mindless hack'n'slash against overwhelming enemy numbers…typical Diablo fare. I was hoping for something a little slower, deliberate and tactical (and yes, I know it's an action/RPG — there's a line, though ).

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 2nd, 2007, 12:44
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
The greatest problem with this movie clip is that the sword hits do not seem to contact. It seems like the character's slashing the air to me. This is very poor indeed, but I'm positive that the Polish guys are more ahead in development than this.
This problem was visible in the first videos, made available a long time ago. It's a shame they haven't managed to fix it.
But if the "choices and visible but delayed consequences" bit works, I'll forget about any combat defects of the game.

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

May 2nd, 2007, 13:05
This is still a game I'm unsure about!! I'll wait until Dhruin reviews it before I make a final decision!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

May 2nd, 2007, 18:15
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I don't really care how smooth the animations looked, to be honest. What I meant was that it looked like pretty mindless hack'n'slash against overwhelming enemy numbers…typical Diablo fare. I was hoping for something a little slower, deliberate and tactical (and yes, I know it's an action/RPG — there's a line, though ).
Ah. I see. Yep, that clip was definitely more Dungeon Lords-like than Gothic-like. But DL's combat, while more fast and furious than Gothic's, still has lots of tactical aspects. Plus, from the descriptions of the different combat styles and magic options, it won't be nearly as mindless as point-and-click-and-kill. At least I hope not….

chamr

Mounted Highborn

May 2nd, 2007, 18:55
Yeah, please don't see this as indicative of the final product. The game isn't just a hack-and-slash game, and this video doesn't really give a good indication of the tactical options in combat, or how correct timing of attacks impacts gameplay.

Tom Ohle

Watcher

May 2nd, 2007, 19:38
Tom Ohle? Someone using his name, or the actual fellow (PR man for a bunch of BioWare games if I recall correctly).

At any rate, welcome to the forums, any information you could give us regarding The Witcher is more than welcome; as far as I know there are quite a few people following the game here at the Watch.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 2nd, 2007, 20:06
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1053

New Trailer

nessosin

Watchdog

May 2nd, 2007, 22:02
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Tom Ohle? Someone using his name, or the actual fellow (PR man for a bunch of BioWare games if I recall correctly).
That's me, long-time lurker, finally registered

Tom Ohle

Watcher

May 3rd, 2007, 01:22
Welcome to the Watch!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

May 3rd, 2007, 02:32
Tom keeps us in touch on a number of games, so it's nice to have have him around.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 3rd, 2007, 15:56
I just watched the trailer. Ugh.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - New Trailer