|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Expeditions: Conquistador

Default Kickstarter - Expeditions: Conquistador

August 8th, 2012, 00:58
Its a bit of a vile setting, however; Akin to playing a rapist in a kindergarten. Like some kinda genocidal, slave trading, gold thieving rapist game. Wipe out the humans who were actually making it work and steal all their gold, women and children for that "God" dickhead and your bitch Queen.

The inkas and aztecs and mayans and all the peaceful tribes all the way up to "Alaska" (and Australia!) didn't have the war technology because they really didn't have war. They would have appeared like children or even clever animals to the Spanish who came with forged metal weapons. Unfortunately, that's what a civilized society would be like!

If we had our shit sorted, as they did, we'd go on about our 'jobs' like a child who's just learned a new song on their recorder and wants to share it with everyone for the pure joy of it. He won't stop until everyone has the song! Gee, so annoying!

Instead we tell him to sell it. He should guard the song so it isn't counterfeited. Get a copyright on it or a patent! Sell the crap out of it!! Put it in a TV ad and make LOADS! So he does. He still feels joy, but its not coming from the same place.

Multiply this by the population and you have a sick society. Seems the "innocent" like "Bobs goodly christian wife" all need to retreat to the imaginary to keep this perspective. But we shouldn't have to be deluded to be wholesome!

Still, I'm no revolutionary. Maybe I'd like to retreat to bed with Yoko until the maniacs running the world all fuck off and die too. But they won't. And if I had the reach of a Beatles song coupled with a message like this I'd be shot too.

TL;DR
I had "7 cities of gold" on Amiga but it wasn't half the game Pirates! was.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
Sentinel

#21

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 516

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 02:42
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
The inkas and aztecs and mayans and all the peaceful tribes all the way up to "Alaska" (and Australia!) didn't have the war technology because they really didn't have war. They would have appeared like children or even clever animals to the Spanish who came with forged metal weapons. Unfortunately, that's what a civilized society would be like!
The Aztecs were a warrior tribe that conquered many tribes while expanding their empire. Their culture included human sacrifice and cannibalism, and cruelty towards those conquered was not uncommon. Hernán Cortés actually found many allies among the native tribes who were not happy with the Aztec rule and helped the Spanish to overthrow the Aztec empire.


Anyway, just forget what I wrote…..it is far better to think in black on white terms …. it makes pointing fingers easier.
Asdraguuhl is offline

Asdraguuhl

Asdraguuhl's Avatar
Sentinel

#22

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 391

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 10:58
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
The Aztecs were a warrior tribe that conquered many tribes while expanding their empire. Their culture included human sacrifice and cannibalism, and cruelty towards those conquered was not uncommon. Hernán Cortés actually found many allies among the native tribes who were not happy with the Aztec rule and helped the Spanish to overthrow the Aztec empire.


Anyway, just forget what I wrote…..it is far better to think in black on white terms …. it makes pointing fingers easier.
I was just going to say that and more. Not just the aztecs had wars. They all had border skirmishes and fought all the time. The Mayan structure was also similar to the Indian structure of castes. Equality my ass. The priest and warriors were the highest. That already tells you how peaceful they were and how different they were from Europeans. (i.e. not much at all)
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#23

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,014
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 11:32
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Its a bit of a vile setting, however; Akin to playing a rapist in a kindergarten. Like some kinda genocidal, slave trading, gold thieving rapist game. Wipe out the humans who were actually making it work and steal all their gold, women and children for that "God" dickhead and your bitch Queen.

The inkas and aztecs and mayans and all the peaceful tribes all the way up to "Alaska" (and Australia!) didn't have the war technology because they really didn't have war. They would have appeared like children or even clever animals to the Spanish who came with forged metal weapons. Unfortunately, that's what a civilized society would be like!

If we had our shit sorted, as they did, we'd go on about our 'jobs' like a child who's just learned a new song on their recorder and wants to share it with everyone for the pure joy of it. He won't stop until everyone has the song! Gee, so annoying!

Instead we tell him to sell it. He should guard the song so it isn't counterfeited. Get a copyright on it or a patent! Sell the crap out of it!! Put it in a TV ad and make LOADS! So he does. He still feels joy, but its not coming from the same place.

Multiply this by the population and you have a sick society. Seems the "innocent" like "Bobs goodly christian wife" all need to retreat to the imaginary to keep this perspective. But we shouldn't have to be deluded to be wholesome!

Still, I'm no revolutionary. Maybe I'd like to retreat to bed with Yoko until the maniacs running the world all fuck off and die too. But they won't. And if I had the reach of a Beatles song coupled with a message like this I'd be shot too.

TL;DR
I had "7 cities of gold" on Amiga but it wasn't half the game Pirates! was.
You don't know shit about history. Sure, it's easy to look at the conquest of aztecs now from behind the curtain of history and say, that it was unwarranted genocide etc. The truth is Aztecs were an expansionist empire (just like Spain and other superpowers of Europe), that was put together by conquest of other less fortunate tribes itself. They practiced among other things such "nice" activities as human sacrifice and cannibalism. Some of those tribes really hated the aztec empire, joined conquistadores and were in fact their main fighting force against aztecs. Despite the superior tech and cavalry (a few horses at most, they probably had a demoralizing effect more than anything else) of the spaniards, the conquest of the aztecs would have been impossible without the local allies.
tolknaz is offline

tolknaz

Sentinel

#24

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 369

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 11:57
Originally Posted by tolknaz View Post
the conquest of the aztecs would have been impossible without the local allies.
Yes, the important thing that everyone overlooked - why the hell did the Spanish invade them in the first place? It is non of their business to go across half of the globe to invade the Aztecs - or should I say 'liberate' them in today's terminology!
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#25

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,275

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 12:05
For the same reason everyone did at every time in history. For more power, more wealth, more land, …
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#26

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,014
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 12:56
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
For the same reason everyone did at every time in history. For more power, more wealth, more land, …
You mean invading parasites. So no army or person coming from outside of their country has the slightest right to claim or justify killing them because of their way of life.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#27

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,275

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 13:08
This discussion is funny for me. I actually didn't even give it any thought about the setting. All I cared about was that it was turn based, party, tactical with resource management. That's all I need, I don't care if the setting is in Timbuktu's sewers.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#28

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,094

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 13:58
It´s also a roleplaying game, maybe players don´t have to always play assholes.

What you think about most, is what you become.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#29

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,284

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 14:39
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
You mean invading parasites. So no army or person coming from outside of their country has the slightest right to claim or justify killing them because of their way of life.
What ?
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#30

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,014
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

August 8th, 2012, 16:16
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
It´s also a roleplaying game, maybe players don´t have to always play assholes.
Exactly. In fact, the developers have confirmed, that you are not railroaded to play a bloodthirsty self-serving asshole, although you'll likely be surrounded by such characters.
tolknaz is offline

tolknaz

Sentinel

#31

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 369

Default 

August 13th, 2012, 13:34
The team released a video of an early combat encounter. I really like what i see so far. Graphics are really nice for an indie game and there are traps and barricades to make combat more interesting. Traps work both ways and barricades are destructible. It also seems, that ranged AI is quite eager to use hit and run tactics, which is a nice touch.
tolknaz is offline

tolknaz

Sentinel

#32

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estonia
Posts: 369
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Expeditions: Conquistador
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:08.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch