|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Black Isle - Van Buren Tech Demo Released @ NMA

Default Black Isle - Van Buren Tech Demo Released @ NMA

May 2nd, 2007, 23:08
Well, they've outdone themselves. NMA has released the actual Van Buren (Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3) tech demo that was built to get the green light to proceed with full production. Remember that this is a tech demo - a very early demonstration framework from 2003 that is in no way complete (or stable, for that matter) and was never intended for public consumption.
Head here to read NMA's newsbit, including instructions, details and a download link.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 2nd, 2007, 23:08
Hella long waiting line right now. Personally I think it's worth it, but some people might have to wait.

How 'bout the timing of me and Matt Grandstaff, ey? Hella weird.

Brother None

SasqWatch

Default Would've Been Happier…

May 3rd, 2007, 17:41
I would've been happier if they had released the source code. That way, all the Fallout modders would've had the chance to make a real Fallout game instead of having to deal with "Falloblivion."

Nonymous

May 3rd, 2007, 18:09
oh cry me a river

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 6th, 2007, 01:49
Oh look, a dead horse! Anyone got a stick or something…?

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain

May 6th, 2007, 20:57
Oh hush, you two.

I think it'd be fabulous if they released the source code.

Then all of the self-appointed Fallout experts could turn their attention to "finishing" the game as the one true vision of Fallout. All of their bile and vitriol would be turned away from Bethy and towards one another. Can you imagine the flame wars and unholy jihads that would result when rampant asshatery is met by more rampant asshatery instead of Bethy's silent, cold shoulder?

It would certainly be hilarious (if you could avoid the tubs and goats).

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire,
chase away the hoofed liar.
Roof and doorway, block and beam,
chase the Trickster from our dream.

Stanza

Lighthouse Keeper

May 6th, 2007, 23:40
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post
It would certainly be hilarious
True dat… and it would bring up some interesting questions, too… like if there actually is enough popcorn and beer in the world to satisfy the demand that would unquestionably arise from watching such a spectacle .

Moriendor

Spielkind

May 6th, 2007, 23:52
There's no point or need. (Sorry to interrupt with a serious reply)

Modders would be far better served with the FIFE project (an open-source Fallout-like engine in development) than a dodgy unfinished tech demo.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2007, 23:56
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
There's no point or need. (Sorry to interrupt with a serious reply)

Modders would be far better served with the FIFE project (an open-source Fallout-like engine in development) than a dodgy unfinished tech demo.
To quote JE Sawyer:
I appreciate the enthusiasm over this demo, but if you guys want to put your efforts into something like the old Fallouts, I would strongly encourage you to support something like Zero Projekt or another FIFE-engine title.

Van Buren's engine is really not easy to work with, especially if you don't have any code at all to work with. Working on a 2D game is a much more realistic fan project and also closer to the original titles.

Just my opinion.
Also, am I allowed to express some puzzlement at the fact that of the pretty wide coverage (33 sites, dozens of forums, frontpage of Digg) this item got, this is the only place I've seen that takes this oppertunity to make snide remarks about either the tech demo or the Fallout fans? I find that odd, can someone explain it?
Last edited by Brother None; May 7th, 2007 at 00:07.

Brother None

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2007, 05:58
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Also, am I allowed to express some puzzlement at the fact that of the pretty wide coverage (33 sites, dozens of forums, frontpage of Digg) this item got, this is the only place I've seen that takes this oppertunity to make snide remarks about either the tech demo or the Fallout fans? I find that odd, can someone explain it?
So let me guess, youre somkind of political officer for NMA?

zakhal

HomelyRebel

May 7th, 2007, 08:17
Well, I'm by no means speaking for anyone but myself, but the thought of a bunch of people scrambling to get a mere glimpse, a tiny little taste of some half-baked programming that was meant to be their golden salvation, their panacea… so close but yet so far……

I'm sorry, it's just funny to me.

So go put it on a ceremonial floppy disc and bury it out in the backyard six feet down, with taps playing softly in the background, and with it your thoughts, hopes, and dreams…

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 7th, 2007, 09:00
To quote JE Sawyer:
If you look at other threads in these forums you'll find that many people here are in fact Fallout fans, but I guess most of us have accepted that Van Buren is history, so why dwell on it?

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain

May 7th, 2007, 09:54
You can accept something and still remain interested in older concepts. Soviet Union ist history, but there are so many interesting aspects we can learn from. So why stop thinking of it? Because it's gone?

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

May 7th, 2007, 10:29
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
You can accept something and still remain interested in older concepts. Soviet Union ist history, but there are so many interesting aspects we can learn from. So why stop thinking of it? Because it's gone?
Ah hell, someone give that man a stick!

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain

May 7th, 2007, 10:43
Yeah, that would be great
Limbo cool limbo fine everybody gets a chance
clap your hands it's party time do the limbo dance

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

May 7th, 2007, 14:55
Ok, fair enough, I'm just not used to sites that traditionally Hate NMA (with a capital H), like the Codex or, even more, Gamebanshee, who really Hate our Guts (capital H, capital G), being more positive than you guys.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Brother None

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2007, 16:29
Ok, fair enough, I'm just not used to sites that traditionally Hate NMA (with a capital H), like the Codex or, even more, Gamebanshee, who really Hate our Guts (capital H, capital G), being more positive than you guys.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.
I'd never say that I hate NMA or hardcore fallout fans… they have their view on things and that's cool. Everyone can do whatever he or she wants. I'm just saying that for me personally Van Buren is a thing of the past - as sad as it is, it was canceled a long time ago, and chances are pretty bad that we'll ever see a "true" Fallout 3.

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain

May 7th, 2007, 17:04
oh I'm just having some fun

You cant tell me that the mental picture of a bunch of sullen guys standing around dressed in black, watching a small floppy disk size casket with a radiation symbol on it being slowly lowered into the ground isnt funny!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 7th, 2007, 19:45
I didn't want to sound provocative, if I did. It was just puzzling.

Prolly no one here who tried it? It gives an interesting insight in Fallout on a 3D engine, for one, and is a bit of a rough indicator here and there of the feel, if nothing else.

Brother None

SasqWatch

May 7th, 2007, 22:03
I have tried the Van Buren tech demo, and I had some trouble finding the correct way to the vault, untill I read Kharn's excellent instructions how to turn rotate the screen. When I got into the vault, I had trouble repairing the bot, since I didn't have a tool box. very sad

I think the feel and the look says Fallout. I've had some difficulties in moving in and out of the vault as well as having had difficulties with moving in the vault. I know is a sort of pre-alpha built, but somehow the visuals didn't seem that appealing to me. (but this would of course have changed in the final version if & when etc. )

As for this site hating NMA, I don't hate or dislike NMA. I don't always agree with NMA's position about Fallout, but I can respect their dedication to Fallout. It takes something very unique to have such a passion for post apoc universe that is Fallout

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Black Isle - Van Buren Tech Demo Released @ NMA