|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gaslamp Games - Clockwork Empires Revealed

Default Gaslamp Games - Clockwork Empires Revealed

August 28th, 2012, 03:47
Gaslamp Games (Dungeons of Dredmor) has revealed their next project - a city-builder titled Clockwork Empires. This is where we'll part ways, because it's not remotely an RPG, but I thought I'd post this once. Official reveal is here but PC Gamer's preview includes screens. A steampunk SimCity, is their early take:
Consider yourself mildly acquainted with Clockwork Empires, the next project of Gaslamp Games. The indies behind of Dungeons of Dredmor are creating a 3D, sandboxy city-builder teeming with 19th century imperialism. Itíll be populated by street urchins, aristocrats, volcanoes, sea serpents, war zeppelins, mad scientists, and at least one foodstuff that doubles as a building material. Itíll be irreverent, and PC-exclusive. Itíll have multiplayer. Itíll be moddable. Most of all, I think it has a chance to set a new standard for player-driven story generation in the genre.
Clockwork Empires casts you into the isometric eyes of an outpost founder and overseer in foreign lands. You build factories, laboratories, residences, cathedrals, barracks, pubs, and Civilization-style Megaprojects. You use 19th century technology: pipes, gears, steam, pickling, Tesla coils. And you populate the colony with upper-, middle- and lower-class citizens: clerks, poets, scientists, factory workers, soldiers, and the burdensome rich.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 28th, 2012, 03:47
Not really my thing, but it certainly looks nice.

Santos

Ass-hat

August 28th, 2012, 08:31
Maybe a way to build a nice engine before using it in an RPG/rogue-like again.

DR490N

Watcher

August 28th, 2012, 10:50
interesting looking. Haven't dabbled in city building in a long time. This looks enough to draw me back in

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

August 28th, 2012, 16:07
I actually bought Dreadful to back an indie crpg developer. Guess I'll never do that again. The guy is taking our money and building something else with it. I'm not the roguelike audience but hoped he'd grow to develop a deeper crpg. Fool me once….

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

August 28th, 2012, 17:13
Taking your money and building something else with it? What?

Honestly, I don't think they ever said they were an "indie CRPG" developer. I'm pretty sure they've always just been an indie GAME developer who made a ROGUELIKE. They never said their future games were going to be 'deeper crpgs'.

This sounds kinda neat and I'll certainly be watching it with interest!

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gaslamp Games - Clockwork Empires Revealed