BUG - Lever won't open to Cave for God Reincarnation Quest

MysterD

Watchdog
I'm on the God Reincarnation Cult quest.

I'm pulling the Lever here and am at the "Green Flag" where it's "On Site", but it won't open the gate to enter the Cave.

I think I've hit a bug here.

I did earlier make my way in here and pull it - did this cause to open it, this time around?

Is there anyway to reset this trigger, so don't have to go backwards hours and hours into the game and restart basically trying to earn all 6 statues?

I did earlier make my way in here and pull it - did this cause to open it, this time around?

Yes, this is the reason why it won't open.

Is there anyway to reset this trigger, so I don't have to go backwards hours and hours into the game and restart basically trying to earn all 6 statues?

No, not that I know off. I had to redo much of the game as well :(. This is basically the biggest bug in the game!

@Wesp

Holy crap, that's pretty crazy…That's a VERY nasty game-breaking bug. I spent most of my day yesterday going through getting the 6 statues! That's like probably 5-10 hours of work!

I figured the front door trigger didn't open, but didn't realize til later that you needed ONLY the Stone in the wall, for the EARLIER quest - so you can bring the stone back to The Collector. I figured what I needed to make the "connection" WAS in The Temple - and was able to WALK around and up a mountain and into the area to where the Natives were.

Luckily, I do have a save right before hitting the island for the Temple (early on). Yeah, I do save a lot. Though, gonna take some time trying to try to mow and power through it - when I decide to actually do so; b/c now I'll need to get the tablet and then get the 6 statues.

I don't know how you can fix it or if you can - but if you can, I got a few ideas (Since I did have C++, back in college), if you can find the trigger that flips the switch in the game-code or something:

1. BLOCK the trigger for the LEVEL from actually being accessed UNTIL the player starts The God Reincarnation Quests (when they actually do NEED to flip the switch).
Could be the best way - as it stops any other things from happening - i.e. I read on a FAQ/Walkthrough, there's another cut-scene that can happen once you hit the JAIL area and the 2 NPC's talk to you on your channel.

2. Have the trigger to the LEVER automatically RESET itself to "Not used" (or probably 0), right when players actually do start The God Reincarnation Quest.
If you can't do idea #1, you might also reset the cut-scene that supposed to happen at the JAIL to 0 "as in it hasn't yet been used."

I don't know how you can fix it or if you can - but if you can, I got a few ideas (Since I did have C++, back in college), if you can find the trigger that flips the switch in the game-code or something:

Right now I don't know anything about changing triggers in the game levels. I myself landed with a helicopter on that island and thus circumvented the gate...

Right now I don't know anything about changing triggers in the game levels.
Those are just ideas I tossed your way, just in case you did know. I wasn't sure how familiar you are w/ the game's triggers, code, or anything of that nature.

It would have been nice if they release the source-code and/or any sort of SDK, to make things easier for you and modders out there.

I myself landed with a helicopter on that island and thus circumvented the gate…
Wowsers! How many hours did you have to replay? :-X

See, that's the thing - kind of why we need to get that trigger BLOCKED, somehow or someway. It's just TOO easy to break this open-world game w/ this bug - especially if you're just flat-out exploring the open-world!

The only other thing I can think of is…for you to add a text pop-up box, for when a player say gets near the Lever. Maybe an OOC (out of character) pop-up box that says and warns the players - "Don't flip the switch until you hit God Reincarnation Mission, or you'll break the game" - kind of like how you get a pop-up box when you first jump into a vehicle and the game gives you and the pop-up box tell you the default key-mapping layout for the controls.

I don't know, I'm just thinking aloud here…

I just don't want anybody else to be like you, me, or anybody who has hit this bug - and actually hit this nasty bug, losing oodles and oodles of hours of gameplay. :(

I wasn't sure how familiar you are w/ the game's triggers, code, or anything of that nature.

Right now I can't edit the maps themselves at all, only the dialogue files. Maybe myers90
can help?

Right now I can't edit the maps themselves at all, only the dialogue files. Maybe myers90
can help?

Can you add in-game dialogue to warn players of the bugs while in-game at certain points in the game?

Can you add in-game dialogue to warn players of the bugs while in-game at certain points in the game?

I could do that. But where should this be? As far as I remember there is nobody on that island and if I have anyone else talk about it, people probably wouldn't know which island is meant. Hm, maybe the collector says something about the artifacts to which I could add a warning. Maybe I could do the same on the boat, have someone say that without two keys you couldn't leave...

I could do that. But where should this be? As far as I remember there is nobody on that island and if I have anyone else talk about it, people probably wouldn't know which island is meant.
I'm gonna go back to my save - but if I recall, one of the guys contacts you right BEFORE you land on the island.

Hm, maybe the collector says something about the artifacts to which I could add a warning.
That could work, yes. :)

Maybe I could do the same on the boat, have someone say that without two keys you couldn't leave…
Maybe in one of the dialogues from the two guys who often tell you things, while you play. Just add something there in one of those?

Also, maybe you could add a warning in the Mission Log, if you know how to alter those?

good thinking

These are some great ideas. I am planning on getting the Beamdog versions of White Gold/Precursors when they go on sale. It would be nice to have in-game advance warnings of potential questbreaking bugs.

Thanks to Wesp and the others for your efforts to fix/mitigate the impact of those bugs Deep Shadows left behind. Also, Wesp, great work on your VTM:Bloodlines patches!!! We all appreciate your efforts. :)

I'm gonna go back to my save - but if I recall, one of the guys contacts you right BEFORE you land on the island.

Doesn't he only contact you when the quest is active and not when you visit the island too early? This may be a problem with using the collector too...

Doesn't he only contact you when the quest is active and not when you visit the island too early? This may be a problem with using the collector too…

You get contacted when you visit the island early for the 1st time when doing the quest to get the stone tablet (Cultist Island Quest).
D9C254D5F17D26064CA06F36C7AF6BB4D75E3161

He talks to you as you reach the area w/ all the statues.

DD53EFFCB4224689D9BAFDFFCE6524F72FDCA108

Then, you're supposed to run up to the front door, notice the Tablet near the door, get the Tablet, get the message to leave, and actually leave the island to go visit the Collector!

Last edited:
He talks to you as you reach the area w/ all the statues.

Okay, so this is the area where you have to open the big gate using the button? It's so long ago, I can't remember. Do you find the first tablet there? If so, he could give a warning like this: "You need to enter the area through that gate, otherwise some internal pathway might be blocked." Or is there a better name for this area that could be used? Also which fort is he talking about? The one were you get betrayed in?

Okay, so this is the area where you have to open the big gate using the button?
You need the 6 statues to open that front door. That'd be closer to the end of the game.

There's a lever, which you're supposed to pull LATER, when you get the proper quest to do so: Gods Reincarnation Cult Quest.

It's so long ago, I can't remember. Do you find the first tablet there?
That picture I linked is for when you are to get the stone tablet during the Cultist Island Quest.…and you are supposed to leave the area, right then and there, once you get the stone tablet and the message to leave!

The problem is - it's easy enough to walk around and up the mountain and traverse through the area WAY too early, when you aren't supposed to - especially if you don't get the stone tablet first AND do not get the warning message to leave the area!

If so, he could give a warning like this: "You need to enter the area through that gate, otherwise some internal pathway might be blocked." Or is there a better name for this area that could be used? Also which fort is he talking about? The one were you get betrayed in?
This is not too long after being betrayed at Eudes' set-up fort, yes.

You basically don't want to enter the area too early - i.e. anytime before doing Gods Reincarnation Quest!
C4A9CE3EEB5D46804B85C8A902F142C514A93EBC

This is the Lever that you ONLY want to pull when doing Gods Reincarnation Quest.
06937CA61D8393C915E071B0C379CE0DF27FD09A

Last edited:
Hi MysterD,

could you please upload me some saved games of the first and second visits to that island and maybe one too, the moment you awake on the CIA boat? Then I could try to include some warnings into the dialogues and test the results. I lost all my saves when I updated windows (stupid Deep Shadows save location and stupid Microsoft deleting all shared stuff)!

Thanks, Wesp5

Hi MysterD,

could you please upload me some saved games of the first and second visits to that island and maybe one too, the moment you awake on the CIA boat? Then I could try to include some warnings into the dialogues and test the results. I lost all my saves when I updated windows (stupid Deep Shadows save location and stupid Microsoft deleting all shared stuff)!

Thanks, Wesp5

Absolutely.
Just tell me where to send it.

Just tell me where to send it.

Either send it to the email address mentioned in the Unofficial Patch readme, I won't post it here to avoid bots, or upload it somewhere, e.g. GameFront.

Geez, I really should've read that README a bunch of times (for the 2 bugs and your e-mail), eh?
Alright, I'll get on it!

EDIT:
Check your e-mail.
Sent some saves.

Last edited:
Sent some saves.

Okay, I've included hints to avoid both game breaking issues in the mission text now, but I didn't use the radio messages because there were none on the CIA boat and I don't think the correct ones are played on the island. The first one surely looks like an answer to a missing question and there are no CIA helicopters either. Take that with a very short subtitle for a long Russian sound and senseless talk about running and I'm very suspicious. Any ideas what's really supposed to be said there?

Excellent @ you adding hints to avoid game-breaking issues!

No clue what's to be said there, since I don't speak Russian.
[shrug]

Back
Top Bottom