|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - Tim Cain Interview

Default RPG Codex - Tim Cain Interview

September 5th, 2012, 12:16
RPG Codex has interviewed Tim Cain, discussing Interplay and Troika, Fallout and more:
Troika's games, while arguably among the genre's most outstanding achievements, were notoriously rough at the time of release, often criticized for bugs and unfinished content. In retrospect, how do you explain this? Do you feel this kind of criticism can sometimes get unfair?
I don't think criticizing Troika games for being buggy was unfair. They were buggy, and I think there were two big reason why that was so. First, we tried putting a lot of features into these games. We really needed to learn how to edit, because we would spend a lot of man-hours putting a feature into a game that hardly any of the players would ultimately care about. For example, Arcanum had newspapers that reported on major incidents that were caused by the player, but I don't remember a single review mentioning that. We spent a lot of time getting that working, and those hours could have spent balancing real-time combat, or fixing the multiplayer code.
Second, we kept our team sizes small, both for budget and for management purposes. This meant we had less total man-hours to work with, and all of the late nights and weekends couldn't make up for the fact that we only had about a dozen people working on the Arcanum and Temple projects. Looking back, I am amazed our games were as feature-rich as they were, but I am not surprised they were as buggy as they were. We should have made some serious feature cuts early in their development.
Troika got characterized as “always blaming the publisher” when something was wrong and I think this was unfair. We would always own up to the parts of the development process in which we had made mistakes, but it seemed that if we ever said “we messed up this, and our publisher messed up that”, some people just heard the latter part of the comment and would start screaming “Troika is blaming the publishers again!”. It got frustrating after a while, especially when I saw people at Troika quoted out of context. But I did gain quite an insight into the American political system, which seems to deal with the same kind of illogical, sound bite oriented system of criticism of its political candidates. People hear what they want to hear, and often make up their minds before seeing, or even in spite of, any evidence to the contrary.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 5th, 2012, 12:17
Very interesting read. One sentence I found very true:

I am a little worried that cRPG's are getting too action-oriented, with the player's skill trumping that of his character's.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

September 5th, 2012, 12:24
I guess that this is the result of influence of FPS & Action-RPGs.
And the publishers kind of "training" gamers into that, as I suspect.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 5th, 2012, 15:38
Now that was a good read.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

September 5th, 2012, 17:18
I think the newspapers were one of the most memorable features of Arcanum and I'm sure I still prefer an Arcanum with newspapers, to an Arcanum without newspapers but with improved combat.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

September 5th, 2012, 17:24
Gotta say I still enjoy reading what Cain preaches. Others could really learn from him.

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 5th, 2012, 19:01
Actually they should of done the opposite and dropped the real time combat and put more unique features.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - Tim Cain Interview