|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inquisitor - Released on GoG

Default Inquisitor - Released on GoG

September 11th, 2012, 19:17
This is sounding real good, the more I hear you guys talk about it. If I get bored with NWN2, I'm moving to this next.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

September 11th, 2012, 21:00
Question: some 'containers' (?well, clickable objects?))e.g. statue on bottom level of Iron Mines, seem to give audio feedback when you click on them, but don't seem to do anything else. Usually locked containers display 'locked', these give nothing except the audio cue. So whats the deal with these? Do they need special items to unseal and if so, will having those in your inventory work or do you need to do something more? I hate leaving things unresolved!

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

September 11th, 2012, 21:17
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Question: some 'containers' (?well, clickable objects?))e.g. statue on bottom level of Iron Mines, seem to give audio feedback when you click on them, but don't seem to do anything else. Usually locked containers display 'locked', these give nothing except the audio cue. So whats the deal with these? Do they need special items to unseal and if so, will having those in your inventory work or do you need to do something more? I hate leaving things unresolved!
I did not get there yet, so I'll give a suggestion
Spoiler – -
Last edited by arthureloi; September 13th, 2012 at 22:20.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

September 11th, 2012, 22:44
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
I did not get there yet, so I'll give a suggestion
If you're playing with the thief, he's got the pick locks skill. You could try that.
If you're playing with the priest, you can (if you're OK with using forbidden schools of magic) try casting the "shatter" spell (Pagan magic book). You can also cast "divine wrath". I don't know if direct damage spells will work though.
With all the classes you can bash it, which is bad IMO because you degrade your weapon durability (unless you're playing the paladin and can repair it) or, what's best (this is always my choice when I find locked containers or doors), press "Z" which is the command to tell your buddies to attack a target and click the container. they will bash it for you. After some time it will break. I usually cast flame weapons on them so the container breaks easily.
I usually use my paladin companion to bash for me (his weapon doesn't seem to degrade ;-) but in this case he doesn't attack it. So it seems to require something else?

I've just had to backtrack all the way from the bottom of the min because I ran out of potions %#@!!! Those orc mages are deadly in a group

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

September 11th, 2012, 23:22
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
I usually use my paladin companion to bash for me (his weapon doesn't seem to degrade ;-) but in this case he doesn't attack it. So it seems to require something else?

I've just had to backtrack all the way from the bottom of the min because I ran out of potions %#@!!! Those orc mages are deadly in a group
Spoiler – -
Last edited by arthureloi; September 13th, 2012 at 22:19.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

September 12th, 2012, 01:04
A couple things for those like me who are still low level - speed is a less obvious attribute to put points in that has proven very effective. My paladin is fast and can run circles around the slower creatures, and can run away quickly when in trouble, heh. I got chased into a crypt because too many creatures were after me, and when I tried to leave, they were guarding the entrance and would jump me immediately. But eventually after a few deaths (when they would hit me at once when I appeared), I was able to get the step on them and squeeze out between two of them and escaped, all due to speed. ( I literally had a second or less to do it in before they would get me)

Another cool thing about having good speed is you can run around and pick up the treasure without fighting the monsters most of the time in the open areas, so if you get bored fighting you can get treasure that way, lol.

Incidentally, a spell I have found surprisingly useful is the first level spell "bless". When you read it, it seems like it doesn't do much, but it is better than it sounds from the spell description. Continuing the story of my paladin in the crypt, before I escaped I was checking it out, and had no healing potions and only 2 hit points remaining. I cast bless and was able to kill around 4-5 creatures (taking them on one on one of course) and they didn't hit me. I think bless may give a defense bonus or something that is not indicated, even though when I looked at my defense score it had not changed, but it seemed much harder for the creatures to hit me with it on. It also gives a nice attack bonus as well.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

September 12th, 2012, 01:43
How much 'choice and consequence' is there in this game, or is it fairly linear? I don't expect it to be like Fallout or Arcanum, but still.

I'm very interested in it, but if it's simply an action RPG I may have to pass.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

September 12th, 2012, 02:26
It is not an action rpg. There is a detailed story and world fleshed out, and many ways to customize/build a character. That said, my early experience is it does seem linear, but I'm not far into the game. That could change later on, but just from my play so far, it is linear in terms of how Baldur's Gate was linear. So you can go to different places, and some areas will be too hard for your character until you level up, but you might not be able to alter the main plot that much.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

September 12th, 2012, 03:24
Originally Posted by EvilManagedCare View Post
How much 'choice and consequence' is there in this game, or is it fairly linear? I don't expect it to be like Fallout or Arcanum, but still.

I'm very interested in it, but if it's simply an action RPG I may have to pass.
You're an investigator. And as such, you can incriminate a number of people. You can send the wrong people to jail and burn them at the stake. I don't know to which extent this affects the story but still… the wrong people you can arrest seem pretty important at the moment. I decided to keep investigating because I think these guys are innocent.
Now for the action part. Don't choose hard mode. I did and you have to be pretty… stubborn to say the least. It will take much longer to level up and it will feel much more like an ARPG. Also in hard you'll have to grind a little bit.
If you're in for the story and the investigation which are really priceless you should go on easy mode. That's cool because it's already challenging.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

September 12th, 2012, 19:01
Bought it yesterday and I can say: What a ton of reading!

yllaettaevaet

Watchdog

September 12th, 2012, 19:45
Originally Posted by yllaettaevaet View Post
Bought it yesterday and I can say: What a ton of reading!
It sure is. however certain text can be safely skipped if you wanted to.
Like: what kinda monster are there about in this area. etc.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

September 13th, 2012, 10:45
Lvl 9 on medium and I am getting raped in the crypt. My pally seems so weak.

bloodlover

Sentinel

September 13th, 2012, 11:25
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
What type your playing?
have to say paladin is harder to first 8 levels compared with a thief.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

September 13th, 2012, 13:37
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
I'd recommend, before going into any caverns or crypts:
Spoiler –
Last edited by arthureloi; September 13th, 2012 at 22:18.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inquisitor - Released on GoG