|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Wizardry VI Character Development

Default Wizardry VI Character Development

September 11th, 2012, 11:28
I just got Wiz 6 and want to play it. I've even read parts of the manual.

One thing that is not clear to me is character development. I've heard that you have to switch classes regularly to level up your characters. Same thing in Wizardry 7. Now, as an average person, to me that seems counterintuitive.

Is this the only way to level up your characters and play/finish the game successfully? Can't I just keep my characters in one profession?

As I understand, after switching to another class, your stats reset, but you get to keep whatever skills, spells etc. you received. Can someone please explain how this actually works?

Thanks!

codename47

Watcher

September 11th, 2012, 11:49
The game gets easier if you are changing classes, you don't have to do it.

I have played Wizardry 6/7/8 with the same party without changing classes at all.

Some infos here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/564807-wi…-vi/faqs/63361

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

September 11th, 2012, 18:20
When switching classes your stats revert to the default of the character's race or of the new class, whichever is higher. So a character who has never changed class will have highter stats, but lower skills (especially magic skills and kirijutus, since they don't improve with practice) than a multi class character.

You don't really need to switch classes in Wiz 6 since you'll get enough skill points to be able to cast the higher level spells when you need them. Also, nearly all combat calculations are done by comparing the characters' level to the monsters' levels. So a lvl 10 character who has switched classes a lot and has 100 in Ninjutus and Kirijutsu will constantly fail to hide and score critical hits against high level enemies and will fail his own "saving throws" against enemy spells and special attacks, while a "normal" lvl 15 character will be much more effective.
Most effective is to switch after about level 5. Then you get a nice skill boost, but you don't lose much XP and will have high level in the end game.

Wiz 7 is a different matter, due to how skill points are distributed. In Wiz 6 you can spend all your points on magic skills, while in Wiz 7 they are divided amongst the three skills categories. This means it takes a very long time to max out your magic skill if you dont switch classes. But like Wiz 6 character level is still important, so I wouldn't overdo it if you play normally and don't grind.

Bottom line: Wiz 6 is quite straightforward, while Wiz 7 is much more complex and you really need to plan your characters' careers in Wiz 7.

If you are not careful you may end up with a character who is stuck in a basic class since he needs so many points to qualify for an elite class. A Fairy for example, only has 5 STR, but will need 11-13 STR to qualify for an elite class. When you increase in level you get from 1 (most common) up to 5 or 6 different stat increases.
And you really will want to finish Wiz 6 as elite classes to be able to transfer the best weapons to Wiz 7. Playing Wiz 7 with mundane weapons will be quite frustrating, and it takes a loong time before you find some really good weapons.

Here's some links with to more info:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho…1&postcount=22
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho…&postcount=242
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho…&postcount=236
Last edited by PetrusOctavianus; September 11th, 2012 at 18:36. Reason: More to add

PetrusOctavianus

Retro Gamer

September 12th, 2012, 09:43
I'm still running around on the first two levels of the game with this party:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Samurai
Human Valk
Human Bard
Human Priest
Human Mage

I have a few other questions though:
1) I have no idea how much damage my weapons do. Or their properties for that matter. I just see gibberish. How can I find out?

2) Which classes am I supposed to switch into?

codename47

Watcher

September 12th, 2012, 10:22
you can change later from

Mage/Priest to Bishop
Fighter to Ninja

I would stay with Valk/Bard/Samurai

build the Valk to Fighter/Healer
build the Bard to Bard with thieving skills
build the Samurai to a lighting fast Tank

Wiz 6 weapon stats:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/kso/Ba…eListingA.html

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

September 12th, 2012, 10:57
Oh, and about armor class. The less the better, right? Default is 10, and then you reduce it?

Reminds me of D&D, especially after seeing the items list.

codename47

Watcher

September 12th, 2012, 16:49
Yeah, AC works like in AD&D.

Note that due to a bug, Fighters take double damage from monsters, so I would change the fighter's class ASAP.
You are lacking Psychic spells, so I think I would try to change one of the characters into a Monk. Monks are excellent characters. With 100 Ninjutsu they have better AC than any Lord or Valkyrie and they do lots of damage with Hands&Feet. In Wiz my Monk is the one the highest number of kills.
I too would stay with Valk/Bard/Samurai, and try to develop a Lord (or a second Valkyrie), Ninja and Monk. Bishops are useless, IMO.

Cast the Identify spell on weapons to see how much damage they do, their to hit modifier and any special attack (poison, knockout, critical hit).
Also useful to cast on magical armour, to find out if they add to any resistances.
Last edited by PetrusOctavianus; September 12th, 2012 at 17:13. Reason: +

PetrusOctavianus

Retro Gamer

September 16th, 2012, 21:57
When rolling up characters, what is acceptable? When should I scrap the character?

I just want to finish the game once, preferably.

codename47

Watcher

September 18th, 2012, 00:27
Originally Posted by codename47 View Post
When rolling up characters, what is acceptable? When should I scrap the character?

I just want to finish the game once, preferably.
Go for +15-18 bonus points. That should be possible in some minutes of rereolling. I think it's possible to get up to +27 or something like that, but it will probably take hours of rereolling.

PetrusOctavianus

Retro Gamer

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Wizardry VI Character Development