|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4 @ California Literary Review

Default Fallout 3 - Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4 @ California Literary Review

September 17th, 2012, 01:08
The California Literary Review has an editorial about how Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4. This is the first part of the post on the video game blog, the second part will deal with five places better than Boston for Fallout 4. They see Fallout as a frontier tale set in the western states of the USA. An excerpt about this:
The two genres most dominant in Fallout Post-Apocalypse and Western are rather the same thing in a lot of ways. The frontier life is almost indistinguishable from living in a shattered civilization, apart from the technology available. Fallout is simply a Western epic but with lasers, and a well made one at that (unlike certain Favreau helmed projects). But while the Frontier Westerns are about the freedom of new lands and the promise of a new life found within wild borders, post-apocalyptic tales most often dwell in the anarchy of old lands and the slow death of the last among them. Fallout, in attempting to be the post-apocalypse with a sense of humor, had to find a way to coexist between these two extremes. Its through the Southwestern setting, and all that came with it, that I feel Fallout found its true identity, its true balance. The heart of the desert, a place centered on the nothingness of empty space and the total freedom the player has to choose in this void. There is no major history to decay, for the place is timeless; there is no culture to lose, for the people are ongoing.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

September 17th, 2012, 01:09
Fallout 4 will probably take place in Alaska. What's the point of an article about Boston then?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

September 17th, 2012, 01:20
It will probably take place in some US city with iconic landmarks that fits the 1950s Americana vibe and has a few different kinds of districts or suburb areas.

My guess is New York

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

September 17th, 2012, 01:43
I'd vote for Los Alamos….that would be a great setting for a '50's Fallout. Great terrain, lots of options!

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 17th, 2012, 02:01
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What's the point of an article about Boston then?
It might be the result of some people having the idea that FO4 could take place in that area.

The region was referenced in FO3.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 17th, 2012, 05:54
Don't really mind the setting so much as the timeline. I wish they'd get back to making the game take place ~50 years after the bombs. 200 year old food and newspaper clippings really annoy me.

(not to mention the fact that humanity has been written as being at a technological standstill for over 100 years)

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

September 17th, 2012, 10:43
Oh my god, want Fallout 4 now!

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

September 17th, 2012, 19:43
I'd like to see how other players in that apocalyptic war have come out of it, but I guess this western will never become an eastern.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

September 17th, 2012, 20:28
Goofy article. The Commonwealth is a logical setting for a future installment.

Kobu

User Defined Class

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4 @ California Literary Review