|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Update #3 - Party, Characters, Races

Default Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Update #3 - Party, Characters, Races

September 18th, 2012, 20:38
All of this sounds great to me, but I'm a little confused by:

"Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose."

immediately followed by:

"A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations."

So … you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.

RedSocialKnight

Thou Hast Lost an Eighth!

September 18th, 2012, 20:52
Originally Posted by RedSocialKnight View Post
So you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.
It is the same concept as soloing the Baldur's Gate and/or the Icewind Dale games.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

September 18th, 2012, 22:05
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It is the same concept as soloing the Baldur's Gate and/or the Icewind Dale games.
Formation was not really a key element of combat in those games, so if that's all they mean, then they're overselling it.

RedSocialKnight

Thou Hast Lost an Eighth!

September 18th, 2012, 23:15
Formation was not really a key element of combat in those games, so if that's all they mean, then they're overselling it.
That doesn't mean it won't be a key element in this game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2012, 01:05
All of this sounds great to me, but I'm a little confused by:

"Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose."

immediately followed by:

"A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations."

So you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.
Perhaps it's that, if you do decide to go for a party instead of solo (as the vast majority of us will do, at least in an initial play through), you'll want to use formations to make the most use of your party.

killias2

Sentinel

September 19th, 2012, 01:09
I think you guys are overthinking this. The way I see it, they only mentioned formations like this, because they wanted to say that they are bringing stuff back, that was cut out to make such games simpler and simpler all the time, which ultimately killed much of their appeal to folks like "us". And now, because of this project it's gonna return! Finally giving folks who liked the classics what they missed all those years! Be happy!

That's my take.

Malkavian

Watcher

September 19th, 2012, 01:21
You're overthinking it.

It's a party-based game.

But - Singletons are a time-honoured tradition among the hardcore looking for a real challenge and Obsidian is smart to allow this minor inclusion. It's not my cup of tea - I like the smoother challenge curve and full tactical options - but you'd be surprised how many people love it.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 19th, 2012, 01:28
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
You're overthinking it.

It's a party-based game.

But - Singletons are a time-honoured tradition among the hardcore looking for a real challenge and Obsidian is smart to allow this minor inclusion. It's not my cup of tea - I like the smoother challenge curve and full tactical options - but you'd be surprised how many people love it.
Yeah I had a friend who tried to solo Icewind Dale II with a Barbarian. Despite not being able to do so successfully, he still enjoyed that aborted playthrough enough to have spent about 15 hours doing it and did not regret the attempt. Not my idea of fun mind you, but if it does not take much effort to make it an option then it does at least please some people.

Personally I like having a full party in games like these - where the recruitable characters have interesting back-stories and personalities - so even if soloing is doable I'd rather not do it alone.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Update #3 - Party, Characters, Races