|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - It's Official: the BioDocs Retire

Default BioWare - It's Official: the BioDocs Retire

September 19th, 2012, 07:51
Ah dear Odin, I'm sorry. Yesterday I was typing from my laptop with a crappy wireless internet. It takes 1 minute to load a page so I guess I missed it.

Topic can be closed now

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

September 19th, 2012, 08:18
Odd how they lost their passion for making games at the same time.

Raggie

Watchdog

September 19th, 2012, 09:03
Originally Posted by Raggie View Post
Odd how they lost their passion for making games at the same time.
That thought crossed my mind as well.

Maybe they're a couple.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2012, 10:00
I didn't really follow the news in the old days, and never participated in the Bioware forums - were they themselves ever really passionate about (RPG) gaming? To me they always seemed more like passionate entrepreneurs. Passionate about building a great company (and they found passionate developers to make this a reality) more than passionate about making games. But maybe you guys have a different perspective?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

September 19th, 2012, 10:41
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I wonder if they'll go back into medicine
Could be difficult if they have been out of touch with medicine for 20 years. You have forgotten a lot and you're knowledge is not up to date. But most of all, you lack the routine.
….
pibbur who has been there and done that

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

September 19th, 2012, 11:24
Due to the merging of threads, this is now the weirdest thread on the Watch.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 19th, 2012, 11:27
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Ouch! We should do something about that.

pibbur who wonders if he should start "The weirdes thread on the Watch" thread.

pibbur who

Number 13

September 19th, 2012, 11:36
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Ouch! We should do something about that.

pibbur who wonders if he should start "The weirdest thread on the Watch" thread.

pibbur who

Number 13

September 19th, 2012, 11:55
Topic can be closed now.

DeepO

deep outside

September 19th, 2012, 12:16
Hmmm, just wait until they announce a new facebook game… I guess they learned from Richard…. Build a company sell it to EA cash in…. and start to build a FB game company which you can sell to Zynga….

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2012, 13:15
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
…. Build a company sell it to EA cash in…. and start to build a FB game company which you can sell to Zynga….
EA is suing Zynga right now…and EA want to become the new #1 of F2P games.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

September 19th, 2012, 13:51
Huh? Thanks, Avantenor? And it links to my thread! Grrrr, I thought I had the scoop. My day, nay, my week is ruined!

Thaurin

SasqWatch

September 19th, 2012, 13:53
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
were they themselves ever really passionate about (RPG) gaming?
I think so, at least Ray.. He hang out quite a lot on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg in the '90's, remember speaking to him there a few times. He always came off like someone who was quite passionate about RPG's, and he also listened to input / suggestions from the fans (BG period).

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 19th, 2012, 15:37
@Dhruin,

I don't get why you thought I outlined a "conspiracy". You, on the other hand, did seem to theorize a conspiracy with your earlier comment, "when they (voluntarily) sold BioWare to Elevation Partners - a private equity firm co-founded by Ricciatello, I'm pretty sure they knew where it was going."

As to the flurry of announcements over the past few days, I'm glad you agree with my comment that these were seeking to assure everyone of business as usual. As to your point that this is what you would have done, no problem. Certainly something was needed to fill in the glaring void created by the failure to announce a successor.

To me these announcements felt rushed, and to some extent undercut the very assurance they were intended to generate as a result. Muzyka said he had been planning the transition for six months, but the flurry of a bunch of game announcements at the least minute hardly seems like the result of a plan six months in the making. Staged announcements over a period of weeks would have generated a stronger sense of long term continuity as compared to last minute timing. Moreover, the naming of a successor concurrently with announcing the docs' retirement would be an expected part of any good plan for long term stability and continuity.

__

RPGFool

Watchdog

September 19th, 2012, 15:47
Personally, I don't believe that their leacving was intended to do anything with Bioware directly.

But apart from that I fear that Bioware will indeed be reduced (in)to a mere brand for EA … Like Origin, like Westwood etc. …

I rather believe that their leaving has nothing to do with what's going on - it was long planned, and it is executed now (their leaving, I mean), that's how I see it.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 19th, 2012, 16:17
Should pretty much be business as usual, which is to also say, it is now blatantly obvious that they basically lied about it being business as usual for the last year or two. No surprises, and definitely not meaning to single the BioDocs out - plenty of guys sell out, it's pretty much what this system gets you. I just hope the gaming press can learn to read between the damn lines at some point. We can't be publishers' bitches forever. We can like the games and still say what's on our minds.

qpqpqp

Watcher

September 19th, 2012, 16:45
@Alrik Fassbauer

Leadership is an important aspect of a successful enterprise. It's important to give employees a sense of security and direction. And leadership is the key to give the enterprise, itself, focus and coordination, so that planned goals can be accomplished by the teamwork of individuals in the enterprise, working together as a single entity.

A major aspect of leadership is planning for a transition in leadership, as is expected to happen at some point in every enterprise. It's a basic element of every leadership manual. Good leaders are always planning for the day when they will intentionally or unintentionally depart, thus providing for the enterprise to continue and grow even though they are gone. In particular, good leaders typically groom one or more promising individuals to fill their role upon their expected or unexpected departure.

The failure of the docs to groom a successor is a problem that must now be addressed if the enterprise is to grow and flourish. If the docs' departure was indeed a long planned event as you believe, the docs' failure to groom one or more successors becomes an even bigger issue. A leaderless enterprise is comparable to a rudderless ship. It's hard to imagine that the docs had a long term plan to leave their ship in such a state.

Then again, could be that even if Muzyka and Zeschuk did have a long term plan to abandon ship, the need for next generation leadership was simply another of those surprises they seemed to keep encountering…

__

RPGFool

Watchdog

September 19th, 2012, 20:18
I guess I should feel somewhat neutral about this, seeing as how it's been pretty obvious no one with passion has been at the helm of Bioware for a long time.

Still, I can't help but feel a bit sad….

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 19th, 2012, 20:54
They were probably good at leading the small bioware they started, but pretty much didnt have the skill set to keep up with the growth. A problem they share with many others. Happens again and again.

Obviously their leaving now will have little impact.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

September 19th, 2012, 21:43
A Wired blog post has an interesting take on timing of the docs' retirement, suggesting a possible connection to vesting of a deferred equity payout from EA's acquisition of BioWare, as follows:
Electronic Arts acquired BioWare in October 2007. EA noted at the time that it would pay an additional $155 million in equity to “certain employees” of the company, subject to “time-based… vesting criteria.” Zeschuk and Muzyka’s concurrent departures come almost exactly five years after the acquisition.
__

RPGFool

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - It's Official: the BioDocs Retire