|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Morrowind mod screens and video

Default Skyrim - Morrowind mod screens and video

September 21st, 2012, 07:11
PC Gamer is highlighting Skywind, a ridiculously ambitious project to port Morrowind over to Skyrim:
And so it was foretold. Once every generation there shall be a new Elder Scrolls game, and it shall be in an updated engine. And a band of heroes every generation shall take on a great quest: to convert Morrowind into that engine. This time round, the Skywind project shall heed the call, bringing Morrowind’s combat, characters and environments to the latest version of Bethesda’s Creation Engine.
Modder, Eloth, has been posting some lovely early shots of the project in the Morroblivion forums. It’s still a work in progress, but the mod already has already captured the giant mushrooms and weird architecture that makes Morrowind so strange and memorable. Check out the videos and screenshots below for an early look.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 21st, 2012, 07:12
Wow, the work in progress even has Morrowind music - I'm looking forward to this mod.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

September 21st, 2012, 10:34
Too ambitious, it will never be completed. Won't they get a cease & desist letter from Bethesda soon anyway? I thought they frowned on these conversions of their own games.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

September 21st, 2012, 10:54
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Too ambitious, it will never be completed. Won't they get a cease & desist letter from Bethesda soon anyway? I thought they frowned on these conversions of their own games.
Yeah, creating environments and static models, that's one thing, creating all the quests, NPC's, monsters.. It's an immense amount of work (easily 4-8 years of development for a team that most likely can't work full-time). See Black Mesa for example.. took them 8 years i believe, and it's still not 100% finished. But i wish them all the luck, hopefully the dedication doesnt wear off. Screens look great.

I'm sure Bethesda are OK with those type of conversions as long as you're not using any of the original assets from Morrowind.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 11:15
I applaud their ambition, but I don't really see the point. Morrowind with the MGSO mod already looks just as good if not better.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2012, 11:18
I play Morrowind because of the story and the immersion, not because of the fancy graphics.

Hindukönig

Sentinel

September 21st, 2012, 11:23
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Morrowind with the MGSO mod already looks just as good if not better.
I agree, but still, can't question that Skyrim has better combat, better A.I, better performance, better animations, better physics, those all impact on gameplay (except for animations maybe).

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 11:29
Well they allready managed to get all of Morrowind + expantions running on the Oblivion engine so if anyone can do it theese would be the guys.
Also im sure alot of the work they did on morrowblivion could be re-used.
I would be more concerned about Bethesda's future plans for Skyrim as there are a few hints that they intend to add Vvardenfell and/or Cyrodil in some form or other. Would be a shame if they wasted all that effort doing much of the same work Bethesda were doing.

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

September 21st, 2012, 12:13
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I agree, but still, can't question that Skyrim has better combat, better A.I, better performance, better animations, better physics, those all impact on gameplay (except for animations maybe).
Better combat is subjective, and there are mods for that anyways if someone wants them. Not sure about better performance either, since we have no idea how Skywind will perform when/if finished.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2012, 12:59
Originally Posted by Hindukönig View Post
I play Morrowind because of the story
You are kidding, aren't you?

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

September 21st, 2012, 13:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Better combat is subjective
In this case i would say no, or that someone would really have to have exceptionally strange taste in what is considered "good" combat. Not that the combat is particularly good in Skyrim though.

AFAIK they arent adding any shaders or something that might impact on performance compared to Skyrim, most likely it will run better than MGE with a high view / draw distance.

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 13:29
no dice rolls, no attributes
morroblivion was bad enough …
i hope those guys have fun making it

Tragos

Otinanist

September 21st, 2012, 13:31
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
no dice rolls, no attributes
Yeah that's a good point.. unsure if they're gonna change that or not, probably too difficult.

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 13:45
In this case i would say no, or that someone would really have to have exceptionally strange taste in what is considered "good" combat. Not that the combat is particularly good in Skyrim though.
Not at all. Many people who prefer stat-based over twitch-based prefer Morrowind's combat. It doesn't really even make sense to try to claim one is better considering they're completely different styles.

most likely it will run better than MGE with a high view / draw distance.
That's impossible to predict since we don't know what the MGSO mod will be like by then.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2012, 13:56
Like i said in the previous post, yes, but it depends if they're gonna change it to be stat-based or not.

I doubt MGE is going to evolve much further, unfortunately. I think performance wise it's about as good as we can expect it to be, it's clearly not made for consoles and their performance in mind Neither are the assets, like my trees, lol.

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 14:37
Looks stunning but frankly I don't see much point. Ofcourse they can recreate locations easily, but recreating all that content (quests, models, dialog, npcs etc) takes a crap load of time. Black mesa is indeed a great example. Its a mere fps and yet it took them 8 years. Morrowind is one of the largest rpgs out there, so the task is quite challenging. And besides like JDR pointed out, we already have MGSO. There is no need to update visuals.

On the otherhand creating morrowind landmass and letting us travel there from skyrim would be awesome. They could even write orginal content. I'd love to see how morrowind looks in skyrim era It is said to be barren wasteland after the red mountain errupted. So it would be actually a nice contrast to skyrim. They could really endorse the survival gameplay and write cool quests. Like exploring ruins of balmora for example or revisit the majestic ruined city of Vivec or whats left of it

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

September 21st, 2012, 16:22
The irony is that by the time they bring out the port, Skyrim will probably be equally obsolete. They'll need plenty of volunteers to make it happen sooner.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

September 21st, 2012, 20:30
I'm sure if this guy was trying to do something stunningly productive, he could think of something else. He's obviously a skilled modder. Haven't you couch potatoes ever heard of a labor of love?

qpqpqp

Watcher

September 21st, 2012, 20:47
Strangely, I think I'd rather play MorrowRim instead.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Morrowind mod screens and video