|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Preview @ MMORPG

Default Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Preview @ MMORPG

September 25th, 2012, 19:56
MMORPG.com checked out the upcoming Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition in a session at PAX together with Programmer/Scripter Coriander Dickinson.
Coriander spoke very proudly of what the team has accomplished since announcing BG: EE including the cleanup of the game code to suit todayís standards. Included in that cleanup is native wide screen resolution support. She showed me the game on an iPad and it looked terrific. Players who remember the original game will immediately feel at home with the UI and the look of the game. Interestingly, for those who play on tablets, the pinch to zoom in/out will be included so, for the first time ever, youíll be able to see your party up close. Unfortunately, due to the loss of the original assets, character and companion models arenít as spiffy as the team would have liked but, still, itís awesome to see them up close and personal. They really donít look that bad either.
More information.
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,039

Default 

September 25th, 2012, 19:56
I still cant figure out how you can lose original assets.
Its beyond me.

C
Crilloan is offline

Crilloan

Sentinel

#2

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WGS84 Latitud:59.85 Longitud:17.65
Posts: 350

Default 

September 25th, 2012, 20:07
Originally Posted by Crilloan View Post
I still cant figure out how you can lose original assets.
Its beyond me.
The 3D assets used to generate the 2D ones probably were not saved on the source management system along with the source code (and the 2D assets). They probably were on the artists computers and were erased when they upgraded/left the company.

Where I work we delete branches (the code and all assets) of projects that are considered EOL. We do a big clean up every year.
azarhal is online now

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,411

Default 

September 25th, 2012, 20:20
Im probably damaged by my years in QC and biotech industry, were you want to be able to trace changes and keep records of earlier builds.

Sad though

C
Crilloan is offline

Crilloan

Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WGS84 Latitud:59.85 Longitud:17.65
Posts: 350

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 00:28
NASA lost tapes of the Apollo 11 moon landing. The broadcast networks lost their tapes of the first Superbowl. It happens to the best of us.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,306

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 01:37
Cleanup = add new code and content?
sea is offline

sea

sea's Avatar
Watcher

#6

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 02:36
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The 3D assets used to generate the 2D ones probably were not saved on the source management system along with the source code (and the 2D assets). They probably were on the artists computers and were erased when they upgraded/left the company.

Where I work we delete branches (the code and all assets) of projects that are considered EOL. We do a big clean up every year.
It still sounds like a lot of bull…. They throw that line out there every chance they get. Detailed & new avatars should be part EE no matter how much new code it takes. The avatars are easily the ugliest part of BG, just screaming for enhancement. I hope at the very least they managed to match up the equipment you wear with the avatar.

There was a modder named Epherine a while back that was making some progress in updating the paper doll graphics and making them match to the avatars. I'm sure a team of professionals could have done better…
Last edited by spiraling69; September 26th, 2012 at 06:17.
spiraling69 is offline

spiraling69

Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 310

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 07:18
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
It still sounds like a lot of bull…. They throw that line out there every chance they get. Detailed & new avatars should be part EE no matter how much new code it takes. The avatars are easily the ugliest part of BG, just screaming for enhancement. I hope at the very least they managed to match up the equipment you wear with the avatar.
Are you referring to the character portraits? Whether they're ugly or not is personal opinion, but I really don't see a good reason to change them. I do think the portraits from BG2 were a lot better though.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,450

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 08:29
I think spiraling69 is actually referring to the representative figures of your characters (avatars) in the gameworld, but you're right, it's personal opinion regarding the portraits. I prefer those from the first game actually, they're just that little more naturalistic and less obviously trying to look like celebrities. (as quite a few were in BG2)

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Pessimeister is offline

Pessimeister

Pessimeister's Avatar
Living Backwards

#9

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 888

Default 

September 26th, 2012, 08:54
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
I think spiraling69 is actually referring to the representative figures of your characters (avatars) in the gameworld
I wasn't sure because of his comment about equipment not matching up. Equipment is properly represented on the characters.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,450

Default 

September 27th, 2012, 20:19
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I wasn't sure because of his comment about equipment not matching up. Equipment is properly represented on the characters.
Avatars are the little figures you move around on the screen. They are not properly represented. Shield sizes & shapes are off, some weapons, colors, not all helmets match, ect. That is a fact. Erephine's (her correct name) 1pp mod is the only mod I know of that made any progress to address correct avatar equipment.

I had to google to find her correct name and found out that her mod is going into BGEE…
spiraling69 is offline

spiraling69

Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 310

Default 

September 27th, 2012, 22:17
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
Avatars are the little figures you move around on the screen. They are not properly represented. Shield sizes & shapes are off, some weapons, colors, not all helmets match, ect. That is a fact. Erephine's (her correct name) 1pp mod is the only mod I know of that made any progress to address correct avatar equipment.
Match what? The icons in the inventory screen? For the most part, they do match. I remember a few things not showing properly, but it's certainly not something that needs to be considered a priority.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,450

Default 

September 27th, 2012, 22:45
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
NASA lost tapes of the Apollo 11 moon landing. The broadcast networks lost their tapes of the first Superbowl. It happens to the best of us.
The BBC lost entire seasons of Dr. Who.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007

Default 

September 27th, 2012, 22:58
I lost my betamax recording of Mister Rodger's Neighborhood final episode.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#14

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,849
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Preview @ MMORPG
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:34.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch