|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What we already know is official - corruption of game review sites

Default What we already know is official - corruption of game review sites

October 24th, 2012, 11:37
We've been talking about it a lot here at the watch and we've known it a long time, but now it is also official:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/co…blic-relations

I guess this officially means there is no reason to read reviews from any of the major sites?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

October 24th, 2012, 11:47
That's why I haven't been reading reviews from major sites for several years as anything but entertainment.

Anyone with knowledge of gaming history should be fully aware of a high level of corruption, whether it's "subtle" or not.

Also, I think that's pretty rampant in journalism in general - certainly in the US.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 24th, 2012, 13:36
Although we all know whats going on, I'm still reading reviews on major sites if can't find a review anywhere else.
But do I buy games based on their reviewer opinion? No.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 24th, 2012, 13:50
90% of my purchases are based on player comments here and reviews from here. The other 10 is based on friends recommendations. Come to think of it those are all from here as well in some form.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

October 24th, 2012, 15:10
I only buy magazines because of the games they often come with - printed gaming magazines have become far too shooter-centric in my eyes nowadays, and that's just not my genre.

What's interesting is the question whether this report will be shown on other gaming sites as well, or whether they'll try to silence it to death.

Edit : another interesting piece is that the linked article is chock-full of advertisement links …

Edit 2 : It just occurred to me that I have now the answer to my question asked here : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8028

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; October 24th, 2012 at 15:35.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 24th, 2012, 16:05
I go by what friends/people I know say about games, never what I read. Been doing that since the 80's and don't plan on changing, and it looks like that's the way to go.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What we already know is official - corruption of game review sites