|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dishonored - Protips from Harvey Smith

Default Dishonored - Protips from Harvey Smith

October 9th, 2012, 22:05
The Bethblog has posted some "pro tips" for playing Dishonored from co-creative director Harvey Smith:
Try playing the game with stealth. Sneaking, playing nonlethally, or even ghosting the missions adds even more tension and drama to situations.
Eavesdrop on unaware enemies to absorb more background information related to the world and the events unfolding around you. Sometimes eavesdropping updates your objectives. (Similarly, listen to street speaker announcements and read posted signs.)
If you use combat, donít forget to block and counter-attack while an enemy is off-balance.
Often characters have followup lines if you hang out and listen to them (or click on them further). Youíll absorb more about the world this way.
Notes and books also add a lot of background info on the world and events.
Set your brightness so the blacks are really black. The game looks dramatically better.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 9th, 2012, 22:05
"pro tips" as making it last longer then 4 hours?

Barghest

SasqWatch

October 9th, 2012, 22:43
Danger ! frustrating value system above ^

borcanu

muist

October 10th, 2012, 20:39
Originally Posted by Barghest View Post
"pro tips" as making it last longer then 4 hours?
Haven't played it and it's not RPG, but that remind me a lot all the whining about how a RPG must be and if not in the strict rule (defined by some psychotic guys at codex) then it's crap or at least not RPG.

So non linearity, plenty choices, plenty ways to achieve goals. Nice dream but here come reality :
  • Either it's puppets game ie to fill all this space and freedom it's mostly player imagination, like when a child plays with a puppet.
  • Either it's real design and each branch, each choice require time and polishing… and now you whine it's too short. Grow up a little and think further than your non realistic dreams.

Ihaterpg

Banned

October 10th, 2012, 20:44
what madness is going on in this thread

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

October 11th, 2012, 09:29
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
what madness is going on in this thread
Half Life was one of the best RPG's I have played. (Not sarcasm or a joke)

That kind of madness.

Reyla

Sentinel

October 11th, 2012, 13:57
It's not an rpg it's a Action/Adventure so get over yourself guys. That's not whining that's the official label from the developers and publisher.

I'm not an completionist who has to collect every secret and getting near the end. Playtime so far 22 hrs. As stated before if you just follow the maker you will miss out on content. The game will be shorter then.

I wasn't going to buy it but a friend convinced me even after some reviews telling me I wouldn't like it. It's not game of the year or the best game made, but at least it's a solid romp through a new ip universe.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 11th, 2012, 14:47
I plan on getting it eventually, probably in a Steam sale around Xmas. It sounds like it could be fun, but not at full price.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2012, 15:19
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
Haven't played it and it's not RPG, but that remind me a lot all the whining about how a RPG must be and if not in the strict rule (defined by some psychotic guys at codex) then it's crap or at least not RPG.
What has it to do with game length? It does seem that the brutal way to go through a game usually mean a game will last four hours…

If indeed there is such an imbalance in game lenght between two ways of playing as they are supposed to be supported, it is a game design issue, unrelated with the genre of the game…

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2012, 15:22
I am probably one of those with the loosest definition of what can be called an RPG but even I would say there is zero RPG-ness in Half Life. It is about as pure a shooter as you can get. Still a great game, though.

Dishonored may end up being a bit different and hopefully it too is great.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dishonored - Protips from Harvey Smith