|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Conquistador First Impressions

Default RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Conquistador First Impressions

September 3rd, 2012, 11:15
There's around a week to go on Logic Artists' Kickstarter for Expeditions: Conquistador - currently sitting on $55k of a $70k goal, it looks promising but they certainly need every donor they can get. We had the opportunity to play with an early press build, so read on for our impressions:
I was broadly reminded of Mount & Blade-meets-King's Bounty. There's an abstracted view of the game world coupled with hex movement and turn-based, "arena" combat.
The first event players encounter is a minor interaction at the docks, but you can immediately glimpse the potential depth of the dialogue system. There are choices, Diplomacy impacts your success and, sometimes, there are other actions; that first encounter sees local officials confiscating your equipment and supplies and one of the actions is to leave a man behind to make sure nothing is stolen. It's a small event but you can see the potential for bigger choice-and-consequence down the track. I also really appreciated the descriptive text; beyond the actual dialogue lines, you often get descriptions of NPCs' demeanour and reactions. It seems well-written and adds considerable flavour.
Read it all here.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 3rd, 2012, 11:15
Thanks to Logic Artists for the access and best of luck with the Kickstarter.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 3rd, 2012, 11:44
Ooooh, hexes! Looks nice, thanks for the preview, Dhruin. I'll check out the Kickstarter page.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

September 3rd, 2012, 11:53
Not sure if they're going to reach their goal with this one. They've got $55,428 out of $70,000 but only 9 days left in the kickstarter. It doesn't look like something that I'd be interested in, but I wish them luck. The mechanics seem solid enough.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 3rd, 2012, 11:59
I think it will make it. Kicktraq shows it just getting there and when you factor in the usual last-minute rush, I'm confident.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/212…-conquistador/

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 3rd, 2012, 17:16
This game is looking great, thanks for writing a preview Dhruin, interesting read!

Daniel.
Last edited by darklord; September 3rd, 2012 at 17:48.

darklord

Sentinel

September 3rd, 2012, 18:07
Hope you're right, Dhruin. I'm betting they make it, too. Be a shame if they didn't. Game looks very nice. Thanks for writing this up.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

September 3rd, 2012, 18:34
I wonder if their funding structure was a little off. Is $15 the most common for game-download in a KS drive? I wonder whether $20 would have done the trick faster. Hmm, where's the market price?

Bedwyr

Sentinel

September 3rd, 2012, 19:28
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
I wonder if their funding structure was a little off. Is $15 the most common for game-download in a KS drive? I wonder whether $20 would have done the trick faster. Hmm, where's the market price?
Just do what I did and back the game at &30, because I don't think you can really play it properly without Esteban.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

September 3rd, 2012, 21:33
I backed it at $30, it's a good option as you get to join in the beta testing if you like and includes a full copy of their latest build which we'll get once the kickstarter ends!

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

September 3rd, 2012, 21:58
Does the game encourage you to wipe out entire civilizations like the Mayan and Inca?.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 3rd, 2012, 22:21
It has went up by $2,000 from when this article went up so I think it will make it. I will probably back this but it will have to be towards the end.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

September 3rd, 2012, 22:40
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Does the game encourage you to wipe out entire civilizations like the Mayan and Inca?.
I don't believe so, from what I've seen it lets you make your own decisions, you can play as a peaceful diplomat if you wish. I suspect you will be attacked on occasion whether you like it or not though!

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

September 4th, 2012, 00:48
For what purpose? To conquer is one thing, to wipe out is something else. You do know that the most destructive force with disastrous results was the introduction of foreign diseases by the Europeans such as small pox that literally decimated the entire native population of the Americas, right?

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

September 4th, 2012, 02:16
oh i hope so, genocide in games is awesome. Nothing like wiping another civ right off the earth!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 4th, 2012, 07:17
I backed at $30. They are nearly at $59K now which means about $4K today which isn't too bad. And with some extra media attention like this article that hopefully that is enough and I suspect they will squeak over the finish line.

Not my favorite time period or subject but I will keep an open mind. What convinced me was reading through some of the dialog in screen shots. Not PS:T but looking good enough to back. Also I love Tactical RPGs so it doesn't hurt either.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

September 4th, 2012, 07:35
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
For what purpose? To conquer is one thing, to wipe out is something else. You do know that the most destructive force with disastrous results was the introduction of foreign diseases by the Europeans such as small pox that literally decimated the entire native population of the Americas, right?
So then it was OK for the Spanish to burn their libraries, written records, and destroy most of their culture and self-governance?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 4th, 2012, 09:18
So then it was OK for the Spanish to burn their libraries, written records, and destroy most of their culture and self-governance?
A good point, because - while germs certainly didn't make live easier for the native population - the mindset of the Conquistadors (literally: conquerors) wasn't excactly one of peace, love and 'let's chew some coca-leaves together while we trade'.

I'm curious how the drive to colonize, gain riches and convert will be reflected in the game. Will I be able to branch away from that? Will there be a campaign that lets me lead an ill-fated Mayan revolt? Just some thoughts. I'll probaby back it anyway, since I admire the setting they chose and am curious on how it will play.

Zerotown

SasqWatch

September 4th, 2012, 11:23
Everybody always clamors they want to play the evil guy. Well, here is your chance to play a real evil.
Personally, I find it interesting to explore, even if it's just a game, that period and to find out if my own decisions will be any different from the real Conquistadores.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

September 4th, 2012, 12:43
No, I never said that. My point is the following: During the 16th century, the native population was drastically reduced to a small percentage and when seeing the numbers, one would assume that the Spanish must have massacred all those people. The fact is that the main cause was the introduction of deseases to which the natives had no natural resistance. Yet many believe it was due to an organised systematic extermination and are quite vocal about it. And your post contained a tone that seemed to support that believe hence my remark.

What bothers me is the ignorance in historical facts, finger pointing, and hypocrisy especially from those whose nation has a colonial past as well.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Conquistador First Impressions