|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inquisitor - Review @ RPGCodex

Default Inquisitor - Review @ RPGCodex

October 19th, 2012, 13:51
RPGCodex has reviewed Inquisitor reaching the conclusion that you should saty away from it.
Bluntly put, Inquisitor is a bad game. There is not a single gameplay aspect it excels at. Far from that - it actually manages to implement many of the common hack and slash mechanics in such a haphazard manner that the end result is naught but an unplayable mess. It is evident that the developers lacked focus and did not know what it was they were trying to convey and what the strongest aspects of their project could and should be. It is as if they had picked the wrong medium for their goal. With its excellent art direction and the decent story it tells, Inquisitor could have been a good illustrated novel or comic book. As an interactive medium, however, Inquisitor fails miserably simply because its creators did not know what makes a good game. I appreciate the developersí effort and wish them good luck in the hope that their next endeavor will be better thought through design-wise, but I cannot in good faith recommend this game to anyone.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 19th, 2012, 13:52
I have to agree with this review. The game starts promising. Dark and hardcore and a promising story. But the combat is dreadful after 40 hours. I tried really hard to finish the game but halfway act 3 i could not bear it anymore.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

October 19th, 2012, 14:14
I don't agree. It's not a bad game as the article is saying. It's just a game you will stop playing if you despise endless mobrespawns. I did just that. If you don't care or love such gameplay, you'll love the game.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 19th, 2012, 15:22
playing on different difficulties changes combat big time

borcanu

muist

October 19th, 2012, 15:59
It's a very niche game. It is almost too old school, but I had a lot of fun with it for several hours before I set it aside. I feel I got my money's worth out of it, but it won't be my goty.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

October 19th, 2012, 17:00
I'm not sure this one is on anyone's game of the year list…just saying

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

October 19th, 2012, 21:37
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I don't agree. It's not a bad game as the article is saying. It's just a game you will stop playing if you despise endless mobrespawns. I did just that. If you don't care or love such gameplay, you'll love the game.
Not for me then. A pity, a lot about the game is appealing.

Yme

Sentinel

October 19th, 2012, 23:27
Yet another insane overly explained so as to convince us of the subjective negativity, review.

Still enjoying the whole thing and have played constantly since release. The unique mixture of action oriented hack and slash, depth of deceptive twist quests, involved and meaningful storyline, some of the deepest dialogue direction i have ever played, atmospheric music, immersion, engrossing combat evasion method, hidden plus or minus reputation strategy, strategic AI detection routines, inventory micro-management control, genuine 100% role-playing, etc' are all integral to the concept theme of the game - and all for a measly 8 quid - great value. I've paid much more for lesser and mediocre games.

Wulf

Inquisitor

October 20th, 2012, 00:19
I have submitted the first draft of my review to Dhruin, so it should appear shortly. Wait for it to see whether it's for you.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

October 20th, 2012, 02:02
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I have submitted the first draft of my review to Dhruin, so it should appear shortly. Wait for it to see whether it's for you.
Looking forward to it Corwin.
I had bought the game when it first out but haven't played it much do to time constraints the last little while, but have the time now and three new games also, so your review would help me decide where to put my time now.

Warmark

Sentinel

October 20th, 2012, 02:03
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Yet another insane overly explained so as to convince us of the subjective negativity, review.

Still enjoying the whole thing and have played constantly since release. The unique mixture of action oriented hack and slash, depth of deceptive twist quests, involved and meaningful storyline, some of the deepest dialogue direction i have ever played, atmospheric music, immersion, engrossing combat evasion method, hidden plus or minus reputation strategy, strategic AI detection routines, inventory micro-management control, genuine 100% role-playing, etc' are all integral to the concept theme of the game - and all for a measly 8 quid - great value. I've paid much more for lesser and mediocre games.
+1: Good game, you have to use your brain to solve the quests, build your character and survive the challenging combat.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 20th, 2012, 03:09
I think this game was guilty of one thing, telling more then showing. When you have to use huge walls of text to get across things it drags the games pace down. I'm not saying a lot of text is bad, I'm saying mini novella's when you talk to an NPC is bad.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

October 20th, 2012, 09:41
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
I think this game was guilty of one thing, telling more then showing. When you have to use huge walls of text to get across things it drags the games pace down. I'm not saying a lot of text is bad, I'm saying mini novella's when you talk to an NPC is bad.
I liked the walls of text, many people are lying to you and lead you on wrong pathes - cool.
After a few hours into the game, you recognize the standard answers and can click through them very fast. I admit you have to like reading text to appreciate this game.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Inquisitor - Review @ RPGCodex