|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Interviews @ Sorcerer's Place, GI.biz

Default Project Eternity - Interviews @ Sorcerer's Place, GI.biz

October 23rd, 2012, 14:03
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Because obviously my experience of the Firewine Ruins dungeon was different to yours. Fire arrow wielding and merrily yipping kobolds were much more challenging than you give them credit for, methinks.
But thatīs because they had a much more powerful enemy on their side - pathfinding .

DeepO

deep outside

October 23rd, 2012, 18:47
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
But thatīs because they had a much more powerful enemy on their side - pathfinding .
I always though it was because they were respawning all the time…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 24th, 2012, 09:17
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Hmm, did you play the same game I did? Because obviously my experience of the Firewine Ruins dungeon was different to yours. Fire arrow wielding and merrily yipping kobolds were much more challenging than you give them credit for, methinks. Walking through that dungeon often required careful planning…and it was plenty fun.
If you do it at level 3, sure. If you're still exploring the world at level 5-8, however, you'll find that the game doesn't actually have any proper high level dungeons or areas beyond Durlag's Tower. That's when exploration becomes tedious. Getting to level 5+ is rather fast unless you always run around with a full party.

Equip some archer (Coran/Kivan/etc) with a decent bow and they can solo those ruins (and every other low level area) without breaking a sweat once they're level 5+. They'll one-shot every kobold in sight almost instantly, while giving you practically no worthwhile experience or loot.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 24th, 2012, 19:20
I ran around with a full party. That's the joy of this game, and it kept it challenging and interesting for me at least. I'm not interested in racing through games as fast as possible.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 24th, 2012, 20:26
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Somehow the isometric perspective makes exploration less appealing to me ( I guess I need that "what's that over that hill?" feeling to get myself curious), so Exploration was not a big thing for me in BG.
See, I'm the opposite. With isometric, I NEED to clear the whole map. I don't want to see any fog of war anywhere and its pretty easy to see where you've been and haven't with that perspective. 3-D? Crap, I can barely find my way around most of the time. Loved NWN2, but I probably missed a bunch of stuff because I didn't see the need to explore every nook and cranny. I could see over that hill for instance, why do I need to walk over there?

Overall, I like their approach and I'm hopeful they'll hit the sweet spot.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

October 24th, 2012, 20:28
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
As for PE - I think it will be a fine game - but I'm not buying into the whole "it's straight from heaven" thing. Not only has Obsidian never been good at developing under deadlines/pressure (judging from the results) - but they're also targeting first half of 2014. I just don't see a truly deep/complex CRPG happening in that time - without it being either vitally flawed or massively bugged.

If they DO manage to pull it off, I'll gladly eat my hat for doubting them. It would also go a very long way for proving the kickstarter model - and I'd definitely be strongly motivated to go all out on supporting similar titles.
I think it will be interesting to see what they can do without publisher interference. People love to blame publishers for problems with games coming out buggy or unfinished (and they are often right), but I'm not convinced that it is always the publishers fault. Of course, a publisher ultimately will end up involved I imagine, but maybe it won't be until after development.

————————————————-

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

October 24th, 2012, 20:30
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
If you do it at level 3, sure. If you're still exploring the world at level 5-8, however, you'll find that the game doesn't actually have any proper high level dungeons or areas beyond Durlag's Tower. That's when exploration becomes tedious. Getting to level 5+ is rather fast unless you always run around with a full party.

Equip some archer (Coran/Kivan/etc) with a decent bow and they can solo those ruins (and every other low level area) without breaking a sweat once they're level 5+. They'll one-shot every kobold in sight almost instantly, while giving you practically no worthwhile experience or loot.
I pretty much always had a full party. Add in that I suck at tactical combat and Everything always seemed well balanced to me!

————————————————-

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Interviews @ Sorcerer's Place, GI.biz