|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Universe measured to 1% accuracy.

Default Universe measured to 1% accuracy.

January 9th, 2014, 17:56
"Astronomers have measured the distances between galaxies in the universe to an accuracy of just 1%."
and
"While we can't say with certainty, it's likely the universe extends forever in space and will go on forever in time. Our results are consistent with an infinite universe."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25663810

zahratustra

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2014, 18:27
Sloan Digital Sky Survey has a nice 3d viewer for looking at the mapped galaxies, including stars in our own galaxy. Its a humongous world out there - the observable universe. I wonder how common the complex molecular processes on earth, like cells, are across the universe.

hishadow

Level N+1

January 9th, 2014, 20:24
They are probably not rare but, as you have said, its a humongous world out there so we ("we" as you and me not "we" as humanity) will most likely never know.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2014, 03:38
Ι can never quite get my head around the various validations of an infinite universe. I quite like a ship-on-the-ocean+horizon analogy I've come across but that simply suggests that what we can observe is limited by the age of the universe and its expansion but with that in mind any claims about anything beyond the "currently" observable universe seem weird.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

January 10th, 2014, 07:42
In Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, which is a very entertaining read, one idea about the universe is that it curves in on itself (since it couldn't just end in a brick wall or something). So if you were to keep traveling to the outer edge of the universe, you'd end up back in the middle. Or something like that. Infinity is damn hard to grasp, as you said, Kostas.

Korplem

Shipwreck

January 10th, 2014, 07:57
Isn't that the idea of a closed universe?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

January 10th, 2014, 13:14
Meanwhile, a nebula called "Hand Of God" was found : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news…servatory.html

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 10th, 2014, 17:45
Originally Posted by Korplem View Post
Infinity is damn hard to grasp, as you said, Kostas.
In an infinite universe wouldn't there be infinite instances of RPGwatch forum software running? I wonder how inflation and quantum uncertainty play a role wrt. infinity.

hishadow

Level N+1

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Universe measured to 1% accuracy.