|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age Series - Retrospective

Default Dragon Age Series - Retrospective

November 6th, 2012, 20:20
PopMatters is looking back to the Dragon Age games in a somewhat positive way. Here is a bit on Dragon Age 2:
All the little details that made up the grand world of Origins were replaced with a small, unchanging, and shallow world where a deeply personal—if disjointed—story was told. This game wasn’t about the last hope for the world; it was the story of a small group of people that (accidentally) put a revolution in place. Gone are the plethora of conversation options that put the player into a unique role of his or her own, now the player controlled Hawke, who fit into the role of paragon, renegade, or indecisive smartass when either of the other two extremes didn’t seem to fit. Hawke didn’t shape the world the way that the warden did, in fact, Hawke was just a set piece being swept up in all the other changes that the player had no control over. Unlike the warden, Hawke did not have several possible personalities. Hawke was just a bystander that benefited from the cultural hegemony. No matter what the player’s choice, Hawke would become wealthy, celebrated, and greatly respected, Hawke would be given extraordinary political influence, and everyone would agree that he deserved his laurels and none of that would mean a damn before the credits ended
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 6th, 2012, 20:20
I'll wait for the retrospective of this retrospective.

moonmonster

Watcher

November 7th, 2012, 01:10
I still haven't played the 2nd Dragon Age game. I intend to play it someday, and I imagine it won't be nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe.

Has anyone here actually enjoyed their time with DA2?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

November 7th, 2012, 01:42
“It’s fantastic, and it’s horrible. It’s brilliant, and it’s ridiculous. This is the best thing I’ve ever played. I want my money back.” (“Dragon Age II: Making the Case for “Quality” Games”, PopMatters,
Pretty much sums up how I felt also about the second part. One step forward two steps back that seemed to be the motto of the development team.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

November 7th, 2012, 03:32
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I did enjoy it. It's typical BioWar fare though.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

November 7th, 2012, 03:45
What does "typical Bioware fare" mean?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

November 7th, 2012, 07:56
I still haven't played the 2nd Dragon Age game. I intend to play it someday, and I imagine it won't be nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe.

It wasn't that bad, but really had the most ridiculous concept of side quests.

Essentially you find some random object in a chest in a dungeon, then hours later some random NPC with an exclamation mark on their head suddenly gives you money and you have no idea why. Congratulations, you just completed a quest!

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

November 7th, 2012, 08:11
I think the funniest one of was that you find bones of someone's Mrs and you return it to husband. I was like wtf?! lol

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

November 7th, 2012, 10:50
Full disclosure - I hated it with a passion so intense it made me start believing in spiritual things all over again - that was enjoyable

(Half) joking aside, I think if you're under 20 and have no particular fondness for RPG's and did not especially love DA1 - this is not a terrible game. Alternatively, if you preferred ME2 to ME1 because ME1 was too 'ponderous', clunky' and 'busy', there is a chance you might like it too.

If DA2 was (say) a Ubisoft game, I think most of us would be OK with it. If BioWare had not done DA1 before, then again the reception would probably have been more muted.

However even with my best devil's hat on, I struggle to find any positive reasons to want to play it, even against the backdrop of modern "AAA" mediocrity. If I struggle a bit more, then I'd say some of the companions were well done, and the combat system is still real time with pause with some cool cross class synergies. But It would have to be <$10 with DLC (which reintroduced a lot of the stuff they cut).

Gaxkang

Sentinel

November 7th, 2012, 12:57
Originally Posted by Gaxkang View Post
(Half) joking aside, I think if you're under 20 and have no particular fondness for RPG's and did not especially love DA1 - this is not a terrible game. Alternatively, if you preferred ME2 to ME1 because ME1 was too 'ponderous', clunky' and 'busy', there is a chance you might like it too.
sad but true - the "evolution" by bioware

Misha

Watcher

November 7th, 2012, 13:04
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It's typical BioWar fare though.
I don't really agree with that statement to be honest. I've played almost all previous Bioware games (no Jade empire) and enjoyed all the ones I played, to the extent I've finished them all at least once. I got DA2 after a bargain price cut.. and I've still to finish it. It isn't typical Bioware fare, because while some of the games have had weaker gameplay mechanics, there was something driving me on either in lore, story or characterisation. I don't find any of those drawing me to DA2 unfortunately.

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 7th, 2012, 13:25
DA2 could've been good - the idea of seeing a city develop over a 10 year period is actually interesting. However, they clearly lacked development time/resources, as the actual game itself is not all that enjoyable. The amount of repetition and complete lack of actual changes ruin it I'm afraid.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 7th, 2012, 13:35
I actually preferred the character mechanics of DA2 - but that's about the only thing that was worth anything.

It was clearly a rushed game made with a publisher mindset.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 7th, 2012, 17:30
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
I don't really agree with that statement to be honest. I've played almost all previous Bioware games (no Jade empire) and enjoyed all the ones I played, to the extent I've finished them all at least once. I got DA2 after a bargain price cut.. and I've still to finish it. It isn't typical Bioware fare, because while some of the games have had weaker gameplay mechanics, there was something driving me on either in lore, story or characterisation. I don't find any of those drawing me to DA2 unfortunately.
Liking or not the writing have noting to do with it being typical Bioware fare. It's the presentation and the formula that matter. DA follow the KoTOR/JadeEmpire/MassEffect formula: cutscenes, fixed protagonists and lots of comic book imports (companions, overdose of humor, etc).

The fact that you don't get any drive by the writing might just mean that you are growing up too….

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

November 9th, 2012, 06:31

Yes, I found it to be decent. It has some flaws, but I enjoyed it enough to play it through to the endgame. To me it's like a popcorn movie: if you go in without overinflated expectations then you'll have fun.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

November 9th, 2012, 08:47
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, I found it to be decent. It has some flaws, but I enjoyed it enough to play it through to the endgame. To me it's like a popcorn movie: if you go in without overinflated expectations then you'll have fun.
This, exactly. DA2 is not a terrible game by itself, but compared to its predecessor it's a big let down. Definitely made for the console crowd with short attention spans and shallow thought processes.

I did enjoy the Qunari plot, though. And listening to the Arishok… *purr*

Ashindai

Watcher

November 9th, 2012, 13:08
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Liking or not the writing have noting to do with it being typical Bioware fare. It's the presentation and the formula that matter. DA follow the KoTOR/JadeEmpire/MassEffect formula: cutscenes, fixed protagonists and lots of comic book imports (companions, overdose of humor, etc).
Doesn't that describe lots of non-Bioware games as well?

kalniel

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age Series - Retrospective