|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Trailer @ Kotaku

Default Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Trailer @ Kotaku

November 23rd, 2012, 21:50
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Just out of curiousity, do any Watchers have an original Collectors Edition of Baldur's Gate? (with map and soundtrack, dvd version)
I've been outbid on a few on ebay over the years; just can't seem to get my gloves of dexterity+2 on a copy.
Do you mean Baldur's Gate 2? If so, I have one. I don't recall there ever being a CE for BG1.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#41

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,056

Default 

November 23rd, 2012, 23:02
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It seems you can't separate buying something even without thinking it's reasonable - and not thinking it's reasonable.

Like, say, you go to a nice fancy restaurant to do something nice for you girlfriend - and you pay more than you think is reasonable - because you want to please her.

Get it?

I paid for the iPad Mini DESPITE thinking it's overpriced.

I might pay for BG:EE - DESPITE thinking it's overpriced.



There is no double standard, that's your imagination.



I'n not saying everything is overpriced - I'm saying some things have an unreasonable price.

In this thread we're talking about BG:EE - that's why I'm talking about its price. In the iPad Mini thread - I was talking about Apple products being overpriced.



I'm not saying anything is ok or not. That's up to the invidual. I'm saying the price is unreasonably high from my point of view.



Have I claimed I'm not contributing to the problem?
Not directly, but you have gone on for quite some time now preaching about things being over priced, money grabs, opportunism, exploiting consumers, etc. etc.

So to see you do a 180 and buy something that is the epitome of everything you've complained about for so long surprised me.

I guess with all your rhetoric I thought you stood for something, turns out you were just bitching. My Fault I guess.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It's ok if you want to imagine that I'm acting like I'm above others, because I have an opinion about what's fair - but that's on you.

If you can't separate what you know from what you have no knowledge of, that's not really my concern.

I don't consider myself above or below others, because I have no way of measuring that. I don't really care. We're all equal, in my mind.
Really you have a strange way of showing that.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
What do you mean happily? I paid the price because it was worth it to me, even if it was too high. Correction, I THOUGHT it would be worth it - and it turns out that I'm right.

Then again, money means nothing to me - as long as I can afford it.



Probably because in my world, you can buy things that are unreasonably priced knowingly, without having a problem with integrity. Integrity, to me, is about honesty.
Partly but it is much more than that.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Woe is me.

I know you have this fantasy scenario about me - and I won't get in the way. But on the off-chance that you're not interested in bitching from a position of ignorance - let me make it clear:
That must be your way of showing me we are all equal right?

My opinion is solely based on your posts I've read through out the years. Not a fantasy at all you give yourself to much credit.

You do not post in a vacuum. You say everyone is equal (which is not true by the way, politically correct but untrue none the less) yet you are often very condescending to many you correspond with.

When you tell someone you will make it simple for them as if your thoughts are so complex us normal folk wouldn't understand unless you simplify it for us.

when you tell someone they are speaking from a position of ignorance even when you have no idea of their background. I wonder if you ever think that about yourself? No need to answer that.

I could go on but really I sometimes wonder if you read what you post before you hit send. When you speak to people this way I can only assume you believe you are above them.


Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm not telling anyone what they should do - or what they should buy. I'm not telling the developers of BG:EE that their price is too high. It has nothing to do with me.

I'm looking at a product and I'm seeing a price I consider too high. I haven't used the word "atrocious" - that's you. I'd say it's no big deal - and it's not heavily overpriced - more like significantly.
No you didn't. Sometimes people imply much more than they are willing to say. I think so they can get there point across without actually having to commit to saying it. That way if it doesn't go well they can simply deny ever saying it.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Cash-grabs are the norm of this industry. That's pretty much what the mainstream industry is all about. That doesn't mean that games are worthless - and that I'm never going to buy another game in my lifetime. I don't feel obligated to never enjoy myself again - because I don't want to pay for something that has too high a price.

All I want to do is be conscious of my own opinions and speak them when I feel they're appropriate. There's no morality or claims of morality involved.

If you think otherwise, that is in your head based on your own limited perception of what other people are like.
My limited perception is all based on your posts. Maybe it's just your internet persona or maybe that's who you really are. Either way I have to call it like I see it.

In this post alone you've said i'm bitching from a position of ignorance and I have limited perception of what people are like. If you truly believe we are all equal then you must not think much of yourself after all.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#42

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,270

Default 

November 24th, 2012, 01:43
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Not directly, but you have gone on for quite some time now preaching about things being over priced, money grabs, opportunism, exploiting consumers, etc. etc.
I've been preaching?

Are you sure that I've been preaching? Maybe I've just spoken my mind? Could it be, I wonder….

So to see you do a 180 and buy something that is the epitome of everything you've complained about for so long surprised me.
180 turn? Don't you mean you've formed a picture in your mind that has nothing to do with who I really am?

I guess with all your rhetoric I thought you stood for something, turns out you were just bitching. My Fault I guess.
So, what do you think I stood for? Do you think your perception of what I stood for is something I should use as some kind of guide to my life?

Really you have a strange way of showing that.
I have no doubt. To have strangers know who I am based on online communication is not something I put much faith in.

Partly but it is much more than that.
So, explain yourself.

That must be your way of showing me we are all equal right?
Why would I need to demonstrate something like that?

My opinion is solely based on your posts I've read through out the years. Not a fantasy at all you give yourself to much credit.
The fantasy is about your misinterpretation.

You do not post in a vacuum. You say everyone is equal (which is not true by the way, politically correct but untrue none the less) yet you are often very condescending to many you correspond with.
You mean I appear to be condescending to you, which is very different.

When you tell someone you will make it simple for them as if your thoughts are so complex us normal folk wouldn't understand unless you simplify it for us.
Ah, I see. You think that because I believe we're all equal - we're also equally capable of understanding human nature? That's not what I mean. I mean we don't differ in terms of overall value - because there's no way to etablish value.

when you tell someone they are speaking from a position of ignorance even when you have no idea of their background. I wonder if you ever think that about yourself? No need to answer that.
You speak from a position of ignorance about me - because you know next to nothing about me. That's ignorance - in every sense of the word. How could you know? Have we met? I don't even remember us having much of an exchange.

So, you're claiming you actually know a lot about me, or what?

I could go on but really I sometimes wonder if you read what you post before you hit send. When you speak to people this way I can only assume you believe you are above them.
That's your choice. I'm telling you that I don't consider myself above or below anyone. If you don't believe me - then what's the point of having this debate? I don't really know.

No you didn't. Sometimes people imply much more than they are willing to say. I think so they can get there point across without actually having to commit to saying it. That way if it doesn't go well they can simply deny ever saying it.
I'm sure some people do. I almost never imply anything I'm not willing to say. That's my approach to communication.

My limited perception is all based on your posts. Maybe it's just your internet persona or maybe that's who you really are. Either way I have to call it like I see it.
Yes, my posts are very, very limited in terms of all that I am. As are yours - I hope.

In this post alone you've said i'm bitching from a position of ignorance and I have limited perception of what people are like. If you truly believe we are all equal then you must not think much of yourself after all.
I'm talking equality in terms of value. I'm not saying we're all identical. There's a difference.

That you're bitching from a position of ignorance is obvious. You have little to no basis for your opinion about me. I think nothing of myself in terms of value - as I don't care.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#43

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,973

Default 

November 24th, 2012, 06:15
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Personally, I'll easily pay 20 bucks for a new version of a great game. I could care less really about how it looks, for me it's about a simple install and not needing to resort to mods/retro emulaters/voodoo magic to play a damn game! I'm all about the simple.


-Carn
$20 seems too high for me, especially since I recently bought BG1 & 2 from GOG.com. Well, I've already waited 10 years to play this game, I suppose I don't mind waiting another year or so for the price to drop. Hopefully they will eventually bring it to Steam and perhaps we might see it included in a Summer or Winter sale next year.
CountChocula is offline

CountChocula

CountChocula's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#44

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chocovania
Posts: 1,478

Default 

November 24th, 2012, 15:01
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Do you mean Baldur's Gate 2? If so, I have one. I don't recall there ever being a CE for BG1.
Hmm, yeah, my mistake. There was the Gold Edition. That was probably the closest thing:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/baldurs-gate-gold-edition

However, the version I was referring to was actually called
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga. It came bundled with Tales of the Swordcoast and the soundtrack.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Pessimeister is offline

Pessimeister

Pessimeister's Avatar
Living Backwards

#45

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 957

Default 

November 26th, 2012, 11:07
Personally, I'm pretty excited about the improved multiplayer and online matchmaking service. I've always wondered what Baldur's Gate would be like playing with others and maybe now I can get a few good games.

Looking at the list vurt posted, I think the amount of fixes, new features and content more than justifies the relatively modest price. Some of those features would never have seen the light of day without the Enhanced Edition.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#46

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,424

Default 

November 26th, 2012, 12:15
Unless they've changed how multiplayer works - it's a pain. In the original BG - the game paused everytime you interacted with an NPC interface - and players had to be at the same location, meaning you couldn't explore anything without the entire party.

That said, if they HAVE changed that (which is doubtful) - then I can see something that just might justify the higher price for me. But it would mean changing a lot of the logic in the game - and I'd be surprised if they managed to do that.

I'd be interested to know - and as I'm sure a lot of people here will buy it, some feedback would be nice
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,973

Default 

November 26th, 2012, 20:59
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Unless they've changed how multiplayer works - it's a pain. In the original BG - the game paused everytime you interacted with an NPC interface - and players had to be at the same location, meaning you couldn't explore anything without the entire party.
I can't see them having changed that. It's kinda the core of the game that the party is at the same place. "You must gather your party before venturing forth" and all that. If you're all on voice chat, I guess it that's not too much of a pain. It's not an MMO.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#48

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,424

Default 

November 27th, 2012, 02:32
I thought I read that they completely overhauled how the multiplayer works. Wouldn't that be necesarry anyways to allow cross-platform multiplayer?

Not sure about needing to be on the same screen as other players though. Obviously, it would be great if that wasn't required.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#49

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,056

Default 

November 27th, 2012, 10:04
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I thought I read that they completely overhauled how the multiplayer works. Wouldn't that be necesarry anyways to allow cross-platform multiplayer?

Not sure about needing to be on the same screen as other players though. Obviously, it would be great if that wasn't required.
No, I think they were talking about the matchmaking process, where the old version still uses old networking protocols and such. I doubt they've touched the actual networking code and logic for the gameplay - but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did. It would take actual work - and be worth a significant price tag. I've always wanted to play MP Baldur's Gate with a more comfortable implementation, ala NWN.

If that's the case, I'll gladly eat my hat and apologize for being hard on the pricing model.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#50

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,973
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Trailer @ Kotaku
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch