|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Create Your Own 3D model for Wasteland 2

Default Wasteland 2 - Create Your Own 3D model for Wasteland 2

December 7th, 2012, 13:54
InXile and Unity are partnering in a crowdsourced experiment where you can create a 3D model that might end up in Wasteland 2 and being payed for it as well.
Submission Notes
  1. Download and read our Art Style Guide to get a sense of the Wasteland 2 visual style. (link here)
  2. Check this site weekly for the gallery of art assets we are currently looking for. Pick one (or more if you’re quick!) that you’d like to work on.
  3. Spend the week creating the asset and try it out in our Unity test scene available for download (link here).
    • This test scene will give you a sense of how it looks under our lighting and from our approximate camera view.
    • If you don't already have the free version of Unity, grab it here. http://unity3d.com/unity/download/
  4. Submit it to the Unity Asset Store as you would normally, but make sure to clearly put "hold for inXile entertainment" in the description.
    • Unity will send us all accepted assets and we will select the best ones for our game.
  5. If yours is selected, we will pay you for the asset and you will receive a special "As seen is Wasteland 2" badge to place on your icon in the Unity Asset Store.
    • You will also be credited in the Wasteland 2 game for your contribution (not to mention the satisfaction of showing this off to all your friends!).
    • Please keep pricing in line with the normally accepted range in the Asset Store. Entries will be rejected if the price is too high.
  6. Whether or not your asset is selected by the Wasteland 2 team, it will be available for purchase in the Unity Asset Store by any other developers using Unity.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 7th, 2012, 13:54
Modders' paradise.

This is the thing I've been waiting to see for years. Why it didn't happen before? Because publishers think modders should only fix bugs and don't deserve to be payed for their work (Skyrim).
A huge respect to Inxile and Unity.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 7th, 2012, 13:58
Very cool, will give it a shot later.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

December 7th, 2012, 20:50
I prefer to get paid.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

December 7th, 2012, 21:54
Intriguing. Kind of a micro outsourcing effort. Well modders are willing to put in enormous amounts of effort into their favorite games, so why not? The more creative input, the better.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

December 8th, 2012, 01:41
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
I prefer to get paid.
Guess you didn't read that if they use it you get paid….

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

December 8th, 2012, 02:46
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
I prefer to get paid.
Why, wouldn't you like to be nicely coated with tar? Sounds like a great idea to me.

fungus

Watchdog

December 8th, 2012, 04:17
Do they tell you what you'll get paid? Seems like the reason most companies don't do this is that it opens them up to lawsuits. You will probably get an occasional submission from someone who 'borrows' from someone else. Heck even if everything is on the up-and-up you may get people who feel that they were not paid adequately for the work (before or after) and the petty suits or claims may just take a lot of time to deal with using lawyers which are not going to be cheap.

I guess the difference here is that you are going through the Unity store which creates a buffer between the game company and an the artists. This then puts Unity in the awkward position of policing content I guess but might be effective. Also seems like the artist sets the price so InXile does not have to really bargain and the artist has to make the first move.

I like the idea but have to wonder how it will really work. I guess we shall see.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

December 8th, 2012, 05:27
Good point.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

December 8th, 2012, 05:45
I'm sure it'll work like any other asset on the Unity assets store.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

December 8th, 2012, 16:56
It works exactly like any other asset on the Unity assets store: the artist sets the pricing but you're advised to stick with standard Unity Asset Store pricing, the artist keeps the rights to keep selling his asset, Unity does the pre-selection and policing of content.

Brother None

SasqWatch

December 8th, 2012, 18:22
Thanks for the confirmation. How would this affect modding communities? Most game companies have an informal policy (and sometimes stated) that derivative works can be made or at least they will not enforce copyright on those works that reuse assets on the same game the originals came from.

Now we have another copyright holder in the mix if the artist isn't transferring all rights to the buyer. My guess is it doesn't change anything yet as mods will still be made from the game assets and its not worth enforcing copyright law when there is no money being made (on mods).

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Create Your Own 3D model for Wasteland 2