|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 9th, 2013, 22:42
Dunno if I've posted that I adore modern version of Sherlock Holmes done by BBC:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/
Can't wait for the season 3. If you didn't watch it, please give it a shot. So far it's 2 seasons with 3 episodes each and it's aired worldwide on different channels, in case you've missed it's always on somewhere.

However a friend of mine persuaded me to give a shot to another modern Sherlock show:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191671/
After I rejected the idea a few times, in the end I tried it out of curiosity. At first I thought I'll hate it, I mean cmon, Watson is a female? But to my surprise, this is a good show. It's not a masterpiece of course, but if you're searching for a detective show with nongeneric, sometime bizzare and obscure cases, try with this one. Season 1 is very good, Season 2 is currently airing but not in my area so I'll have to wait for a while to see it.

Good work Britain, good work USA.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 9th, 2013, 22:54
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Dunno if I've posted that I adore modern version of Sherlock Holmes done by BBC:
Can't wait for the season 3. If you didn't watch it, please give it a shot. So far it's 2 seasons with 3 episodes each and it's aired worldwide on different channels, in case you've missed it's always on somewhere.

However a friend of mine persuaded me to give a shot to another modern Sherlock show:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191671/
After I rejected the idea a few times, in the end I tried it out of curiosity. At first I thought I'll hate it, I mean cmon, Watson is a female? But to my surprise, this is a good show. It's not a masterpiece of course, but if you're searching for a detective show with nongeneric, sometime bizzare and obscure cases, try with this one. Season 1 is very good, Season 2 is currently airing but not in my area so I'll have to wait for a while to see it.

Good work Britain, good work USA.
I really like the BBC version, and after a couple of attempts just couldn't stomach the US version. And I am a Lucy Liu fan from back in Ally McBeal days …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2013, 23:08
I never liked Ally McBeal show.
IIRC the main character there looked as if she'll drop dead any second out of starvation.

And I admit that first few episodes of Elemenary are meh. But it gets better.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 10th, 2013, 14:04
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy
Doctor Who 50th anniversary in 2 weeks

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 10th, 2013, 15:22
We all know that, but we still don't know all names that will appear in it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 10th, 2013, 15:23
I never liked Ally McBeal show.
IIRC the main character there looked as if she'll drop dead any second out of starvation.
Yeah she was in dire need of a cheeseburger. The supporting cast is what made that show enjoyable (Richard Fish, The Biscuit and others). I really could have done without Ally. I remember though the final couple seasons were just too much and the show jumped the shark too early.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

November 10th, 2013, 16:39
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Doctor Who 50th anniversary in 2 weeks
My younger son is a major Whovian and totally psyched about this … I'm sure it will become a family event

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 11th, 2013, 22:11
Two trailers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature…&v=loGm3vT8EAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature…&v=7z6FMCqYrBo
Cool. It looks like it's basically a modern remake of The Five Docters. They even re-used some of the same dialogue. (0:52 in the second trailer)

Oh… and Billie Piper is definitely the hottest British chick I've ever seen.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 11th, 2013, 22:28
I'm more into Freema Agyeman.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 12th, 2013, 03:57
Can't wait for the season 3. If you didn't watch it, please give it a shot.
This is great news to me. I caught the first 2 series and thought they were amongst the best I've seen in a while. I figured with Benedict Cumberbatch's recent Hollywood success that his was TV days were done for some time. The fact that they are only 3 episodes probably helped considerably.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

November 15th, 2013, 00:06
Hype, hype, overhype - a minisode and the key incarnation revealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 15th, 2013, 10:06
Hype, hype, overhype - a minisode and the key incarnation revealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
Interesting… so they're bringing back a guy who played The Doctor for one episode almost 10 years ago?

*Edit* Ah ok, I get it. He just came back for the webisode to bridge the gap for Day of The Doctor.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 18th, 2013, 13:50
Caught it here on Fox Crime, but seems many stations have it on the schedule.

Death in Paradise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1888075/

Currently it has two seasons with 8 episodes each and the show will continue early next year.
First season is pretty good, but the second one went skyhigh with stories (cases) and characters. It's obviously quality over quantity and I can't wait for the third season.

If you're looking for a good detective stories series with just right amount of humor and without top models but normal looking people that didn't turn into soap opera, don't miss this one.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 18th, 2013, 23:17
I'm officially done with the Walking Dead.

It's an uninspired melodrama now more than ever. George Romero is absolutely right:
It feels like I don’t have a horse in the race. They asked me to do a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead but I didn’t want to be a part of it. Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now.
…especially in the 4th season. Some former cop clerk doing fist bumps with the suddenly repentant Governor? What?

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 18th, 2013, 23:22
Wait a minute. IIRC ppl here on the forum said the first season was great, second was yuck and then they returned to goodness in season 3.
You saying the 4th season is crap again?

I'm not watching it, but planned to catch it when it gets reaired. Now after you posting this… There's a big chance I skip it completely.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 19th, 2013, 07:31
First season was great - the rest have been more or less "meh", but they have excellent production values and the zombie theme can be compelling enough to keep people watching.

That said, I'm barely keeping my eyes open when I'm watching it.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 19th, 2013, 07:54
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I'm officially done with the Walking Dead.

It's an uninspired melodrama now more than ever. George Romero is absolutely right:

…especially in the 4th season. Some former cop clerk doing fist bumps with the suddenly repentant Governor? What?
Well you're certainly welcome to your opinion as is George Romero. Personally, I don't think he has a clue. He doesn't seem to realize that a television series needs to have more than just a neverending zombie slaughter to have any kind of longevity.

Nothing against Romero here, he made some great movies back in the day, but the truth is that he hasn't made anything worth a damn in well over a decade. His statement about the show only makes him sound like a bitter, washed-up old fart, which is pretty much exactly what he's become.

I liked last week's episode btw. I thought it was interesting to glimpse another side of The Govenor, but I think it would be premature to call him repentant at this point.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2013, 11:16
The Walking Dead used to mean zombies - but as it turns out, it's actually a title meant to reflect the way the show itself manages to keep going

1. Production values
2. Gore
3. Endlessly repeating near-identical events of supreme tragedy

= Perpetual success.

Who'd have guessed!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 19th, 2013, 15:03
The show's #1 mistake was having everyone settle down, whether to flop about aimlessly at the farm or grow crops at the prison. I don't much care whether that's the realistic thing to do in an apocalyptic situation - I don't plop myself down for an hour at a time to watch domestic squabbles develop with a token zombie thrown in from time to time.

It *is* a soap opera! And, what's worse, they're slowly getting rid of any interesting characters.
Spoiler
And now we have the writers blatantly trying to turn a former psychopath into a decent guy for yet more contrived melodrama down the road.

It was promising in the first season but it's gotten progressively worse. It positively wreaks of made-for-TV drivel now.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread