|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Interview @ Loinhead

Default Fable 2 - Interview @ Loinhead

May 22nd, 2007, 00:24
Fansite Loinhead has an interview with Peter Molyneux about Fable 2. I don't know the details of this specific feature but it sounds like the original was too hard, so they've simplified the controls:
So - Fable 2. Yes. One-button proximity-based combat. Can you tell us about it?
God, thereís so much I can tell you about it. Iíd love, Iím gonna talk publicly about this for longer almost than I talked about any other game feature. It was - the only thing I can say about it - it was an experiment, that we tried, it was an experiment that we didnít need to try, because the combat in Fable 1 wasnít bad, at all, no-one said it was bad, quite a lot of people said it was good, and itís an experiment that has really, really worked. Really worked. Not nearly worked.
*click*. I won!
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2007, 00:24
1 botton proxinity based compat nice. I like. Peter Molinoe right: more then 1 botton not good. I fight, I hit botton with hand. Not becumming confused witch hand I use for witch botton. I like Peter.

P.S.:
Q: Anything failed - Oh yeah - like what?
A: Ermm — there was a lot of experiments with fluids, which didn’t pan out. […]

Did anyone else watch Dr. Strangelove? I really hope General Ripper never reads this interview.

coyote

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2007, 00:34
Loinhead, eh

Role-Player

Watchdog

May 22nd, 2007, 02:58
Haha, well spotted Role-Player. I guess Dhruin expresses disdain for some newsbits by subliminal methods as well.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 22nd, 2007, 03:08
Nope, thats the name of the fan site for lionhead. Click the link.

roqua

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2007, 03:39
I don't get it. Fable was a console game. The controls were simple. Why would anyone feel the need to dumb them down for the sequel?

Oh my god! That is the link isn't it….Loinhead…..Oh that's rich!!
LMAO

Cleric

Watcher

May 22nd, 2007, 03:49
Roqua's right, that is the name of the site. I was just poking at the site's name

Role-Player

Watchdog

May 22nd, 2007, 03:49
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
I don't get it. Fable was a console game. The controls were simple. Why would anyone feel the need to dumb them down for the sequel?
We are talking Lionhead, here.

Role-Player

Watchdog

May 22nd, 2007, 04:40
I'm glad I saw that. I've always though of him as an egomaniac, and he clearly is, but there's something endearing about his enthusiasm for the CRPG genre.

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon

May 22nd, 2007, 05:30

Great name for a fansite!

This feature really does seem to dumb-down combat but I think it's premature to make that accusation. We'll just have to wait for Mr. M to elaborate on it.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 22nd, 2007, 10:51
Originally Posted by Vault Dweller View Post
I don't know the details of this specific feature but it sounds like the original was too hard, so they've simplified the controls:

*click*. I won!
OLOLOL. Good one. Molyneux describes it here.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

May 22nd, 2007, 11:04
Relating to the bar fight scene shown in the video demonstration: it looks really cool, but what is the challenge there if all you have to do is press this one button, look whether your character executes some fancy move, relocate to a position close to some usable object and repeat. This sounds incredibly boring to me.

I hope they do not ruin the game by adhering stubbornly to the one button combat concept.

coyote

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2007, 11:24
The PC gets knocked down at the end of the scene because an opponent has closed with him, but he hasn't recovered from his last attack. Challenge will come from the number and placement of enemies. If the player can always escape to a position of safety - as he could in the first game - then yes, there'll be no challenge, and it'll be boring. As it was in the first game.

I'd like to try this. I certainly don't need any more of Fable's combat.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

May 22nd, 2007, 11:43
If the combat's result is determined a priori by the number and placement of the enemies, and all the player can do is advance the fancy animation by clicking a button, there are no decisions left to the player. The challenge of choosing the correct move is replaced by the combat AI choosing the best action for you. If there is no tangible influence of the player on the result of the fight like it looks to me from the demonstration, the combat will be boring, and since the fighting will most likely be an integral part of the game, this can well ruin in.

I believe that in the end, the player gets knocked down, but uses telekinesis to throw an object at the enemy and thus wins the fight. This is all very fine and looks really impressive, but I mainly wonder whether the player has to think fast and come up with the idea: "Let's use telekinesis and throw something at this brute!", or whether he is relegated to pressing his finger on the same button he used throughout and watch what happens. I hope for the former but fear the latter.

P.S.: Of course I might see things too black and white here. It is possible that the player chooses the next action by clicking on some object and "throwing" it around, which could be fun, and there are conventional skills in addition to the one button affair. There is little information to base any speculations on.
Last edited by coyote; May 22nd, 2007 at 12:10.

coyote

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2007, 12:15
Does it choose the best action, or the one that's available from where you're standing? Because the latter is what I understand by "proximity based" attacks. The game will be in predicting which attack your character will execute from different locations and how that'll affect the tactical situation. If I attack from here, I'll swing on the chandelier, but that'll leave me with opponents on either side. Over there are chairs to throw, but I'm backed into a corner.

As I say, the challenge will depend on whether there's any weight at all to those decisions, whether getting surrounded is actually dangerous or if you'll once again be able to roll out of harm's way. It's a gamble, but Fable's combat was a mindless spamfest, and I'm not sorry to see it go. Who used more than one button anyway?

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

May 22nd, 2007, 13:35
If the action is choosen only according to the character's location it might introduce a great deal of ambiguity. Imagine a small table under a chandelier with a stack of cards on top: which of those does the character interact with? While a great deal of uncertainty is expected to be part of a fight, it should not be in the actions of the character itself, or tactical decision will become impossible in such a situation. Also, I would imagine it to be quite frustrating when you try to swing over the table, only to find your character picking up the stack of cards and throwing it at the approaching villain.

Otherwise, I agree with what you are saying, abbaon.

coyote

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2007, 14:34
Ambiguity could be a problem. Hopefully they'll highlight the object you're "targeting" through your proximity.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

May 22nd, 2007, 15:13
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
P.S.:
Q: Anything failed - Oh yeah - like what?
A: Ermm ó there was a lot of experiments with fluids, which didnít pan out. […]

Did anyone else watch Dr. Strangelove? I really hope General Ripper never reads this interview.
Yeah, I read the same thing … love that, one of those lifelong references …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Interview @ Loinhead