|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legends of Dawn - Kickstarter Launched

Default Legends of Dawn - Kickstarter Launched

December 20th, 2012, 12:44
Remember Legends of Dawn, which we highlighted with a teaser trailer a couple of weeks ago? Dreamatrix has launched a Kickstarter campaign for this open world game, asking for $25k to finish the game off. The interesting thing is the game is almost done, so delivery is estimated at February 2013, only a couple of months away.
The game is described as "hardcore" and "isometric", although to my mind the style looks more like Two Worlds. Here's a snip:
Another quality that makes Legends of Dawn interesting is the freedom of direction and movement. Most games force a player to follow the main storyline and forbid any deviation, or significant veering off the set course. Legends of Dawn is more sympathetic to your playing needs. You are free to wander wherever tickles your fancy within the continent, without limitations, under one condition. Stay alive. We have been careful to ensure that the quests only suggest, rather than impose direction of movement. Your journey is in your hands.
The first thing to notice about LOD is that it has an old school style and feel to it, with some unique features which differentiate it from classic games of this generation.

This is not a game to appeal to casual gamers, it is a hardcore fantasy game with a large, diverse world filled with a lot of dangers, intrigue and mystery.
  • Choose among 3 different races - Human, Elf and Danian and 2 genders - male or female
  • Explore hundreds of unique locations (dungeons, forts, camps, cemeteries, docks, mountains, canyons, flying islands, swamps, temples, shrines etc.)
  • Fight your way through more than 20 dungeons, caves, crypts, mausoleums and catacombs and rest in 3 cities - Human, Elven and Danian
  • 150+ types of wild creatures and monsters that drop several loots so you stand a good chance of getting multiple valuable items
  • Adaptable creature AI: depending whether it is day or night, creatures spawn and act differently. Weather conditions also influence a monster's behavior
  • Players are free to move in this nonlinear world, in any direction they choose. As long as they have the necessary items or skills to survive in the field
  • Combat and magic: A combination of Knight and Mage will work together without class restrictions and players have a wide choice of weapons or spells, they are able to use in combat
  • Discover different ways to use and combine more than 35 combat, creature lore, crafting, gathering, resistance and devotion skills
  • A complex crafting system with over 25.000 usable items, allows you to make everything from food, metal, wood, stone, leather to weapons and fashion armors
  • Unlocking System with Runes: using specific runes players can interactively unlock and activate locked chests or crates and other mechanisms in the game
  • System of sacrifices: The 3 gods; Perun, Veles and Svarog each have their own shrines throughout the continent. Activating a shrine opens the sacrifice panel with options to sacrifice items and gain divine favours
  • Streaming technology enables playing without any loading screens. All data seamlessly loads in background.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2012, 12:44
I like the look of this, Backed.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

December 20th, 2012, 13:22
I queried it being Isometric and got this response,

Aurofinity & Dreamatrix says:
Hi Darklord,
"Isometric" is wrong term and we thank you for noticing
this. We will change it as soon as possible so that there's no
misunderstanding.
Game uses camera with narrow field of view (~60 degrees or so) so that
it mimics isometric camera. But it's fully 3D, just oriented
top->down. You can zoom it, rotate around player etc. as can be seen
in trailer. Thanks again.
Regards
Marko

darklord

Sentinel

December 20th, 2012, 13:32
I wonder what platforms they'll release it on… And, DRM?

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

December 20th, 2012, 13:34
Game looks good indeed and it even is a bit sophisticated. I will back it up as well after surviving XMas and NE…. It looks original as well - female characters in armors are not looking as silly and oversexed as in vast majority of modern games. Plus the crafting system, casting spells and open world are very appealing to me.

xep624

Watcher

December 20th, 2012, 13:59
Seems like a Kickstarter is being used here as a marketing vehicle. Clever. Girl was pretty hot (nice try!) but I'm going to sit this one out pending gameplay impressions. The world looks pretty good but the combat and animations not so much. It's a maybe for me.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2012, 14:06
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I queried it being Isometric and got this response,

That is what most people mean by isometric these days, that kind of bird's view slightly slitted.

Very few studios will consider working on an isometric engine as developping in 3D reduces costs (compared to 2D isometrics)

Quite a lot of games these days that promises you to live the life in a game world.

Going to be interesting to see what comes out.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2012, 15:29
Nothing has been mentioned about choices and consquences and factions in this game, which from my point of view is what decides a good open world game. Combat animation also looks repetitive which might be a symptom of just button mashing (no blocking, parrying, rolling, jumping).

Read more of the description and the story seems to follow that of Gothic 3 actually - Hmm!
Last edited by SpoonFULL; December 20th, 2012 at 15:42.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

December 20th, 2012, 15:31
They sold me when they said the game is "not for casual gamers".

DarNoor

Sentinel

December 20th, 2012, 15:35
I need to see a small sample of all the pieces working together before I support. The video mostly showed combat, which is the least interesting part of crpgs for me. I dislike oversized weapons and garish armor too, so that's a negative. My first question when looking at armor is "Does it look like it would serve its purpose or is it an artist's drawing?" The helm were especially bad, blocking all peripheral vision, etc.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 15:59
Hmm
Dreamatrix is an independent company dedicated to the production and publication of fun games of all genre. Discovering new worlds and innovation is at the core of the Dreamatrix soul, whether it is in the creation of addictive games or trying out new business models.

Dreamatrix is a publishing house that encompasses a game development studio which unites artists and programmers from three continents under its aegis. It has numerous IPs and an advanced engine and toolset made entirely in-house, for the creation of cutting edge games.

Dreamatrix has produced many titles and established a worldwide presence alongside partners like Take 2 Interactive, Akella, EA, RTL Playtainment, Dreamcatcher, DTP Entertainment, JoWood, LogRus and others, spreading the thrill of advenurous gameplay around the globe.
Anybody heard of these guys before and know what they did/ worked on? None of the games listed on the site seem to have been released yet.
My spontaneous reaction was that this project would be better placed with an AAA developer/publisher. But I have yet to read the details.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

December 20th, 2012, 16:18
http://www.gamersgate.com/publisher/4623/dreamatrix

It looks like they've released two space games in the past.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 17:05
All bakers will be listed on their web site, so quit loafing and make some bread.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 17:31
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
All bakers will be listed on their web site, so quit loafing and make some bread.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

December 20th, 2012, 18:53
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Hmm

Anybody heard of these guys before and know what they did/ worked on? None of the games listed on the site seem to have been released yet.
My spontaneous reaction was that this project would be better placed with an AAA developer/publisher. But I have yet to read the details.
They made a few space sims and quite frankly they weren't bad but nothing great. Just look up Spaceforce.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2012, 19:36
Money needed for voiceovers? Wrong answer. I will not donate for voiceovers, ever

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 20:46
$45 for a boxed edition is decently priced.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 20:55
Anyone else having problems with amazon payments?

Damian

Sentinel

December 20th, 2012, 21:12
I can only say AmP was working yesterday, dunno if there is a problem today.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 20th, 2012, 21:14
Herm. A huge open world, where you walk around and shoot colored light balls at skeletons? I wonder how much "intrigue and mystery" we can actually expect.

Agree with what's been said above. I will have to see more actual gameplay before I believe it would actually be fun.

I enjoyed seeing a sexy girl with a cute accent making the pitch. Then I felt guilty about it. Then I noticed the pandering camera angles and hair flips and felt good about it again.

My favorite (meaning: not favorite) thing is the cover art. That's got to be in the top 10 worst game covers ever. It's a black … circle? Floating in front of an empty yet bloodstained background. And covered in spikes! Nothing makes me want to spend my time & money like a big hunk of spiky metal!

Zombra

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legends of Dawn - Kickstarter Launched