|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » why anyone wants an "assault rifle"

Default why anyone wants an "assault rifle"

February 19th, 2013, 16:00
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
What about the Bolsheviks?

Many of the groups you mention were or were oppressed by groups who took up arms against the state, became the ruling class, then oppressed the people. The only societies who ever defended the rights of it's individuals regardless of association were states with constitutional human rights. Incidentally that's the kind of state revolutionaries of today do not want to have.
You just can't stay out of the weeds to save your life. Impressive but misplaced pronouncements FTW. But I'll play along just for fun. So then, what you're saying is that the only system that has any chance of working properly is one with a constitution centered around protecting the rights of the citizenry from the inevitable oppressive government. Something like a Bill of Rights might suit, yes? So then, why are you so quick to tear up the 2nd Amendment, when you, yourself, claim that the Bill of Rights is the paper-thin wall defending us from tyranny? Sounds to me like you're a subversive element for the government, quietly chipping away at the very freedom you claim to protect.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 19th, 2013, 17:31
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
So then, what you're saying is that the only system that has any chance of working properly is one with a constitution centered around protecting the rights of the citizenry from the inevitable oppressive government. Something like a Bill of Rights might suit, yes? So then, why are you so quick to tear up the 2nd Amendment, when you, yourself, claim that the Bill of Rights is the paper-thin wall defending us from tyranny? Sounds to me like you're a subversive element for the government, quietly chipping away at the very freedom you claim to protect.
Because the power of a such constitution isn't rooted in it's content, but it's recognition.
Rights rely on the recognition of most individuals within a population that their personal rights comes from supporting their neighbors rights. Challenging a right is thus challenging your own rights. Since the power comes from a collective insight that adapts to new ideas and discoveries, the constitution adapt over time. One such notion is that a war-zone is less free than no war-zone and that paranoia is a delusion.

Anyhow, it's due to the recognition in most individuals that a constitution with individualistic rights is to be preferred for their own sake, that a constitutional democracy lacks the problems a "democracy" have that do not have human rights in it's constitution.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

February 19th, 2013, 22:46
Originally Posted by Rithrandil View Post
Also, the trial of Geert Wilders, despite the fact he was acquitted, his comments were 'borderline' legal, which says enough as is.
I'm sure I'll regret asking this, but how is the trial of Wilders related to Denmark?
It can't be about the discussion freedom of speech as the trial shows that even Wilders who jumps on any bandwagon that gives him votes can say factual incorrect things without consequences.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 19th, 2013, 23:10
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I'm sure I'll regret asking this, but how is the trial of Wilders related to Denmark?
It can't be about the discussion freedom of speech as the trial shows that even Wilders who jumps on any bandwagon that gives him votes can say factual incorrect things without consequences.
Brainfart, I meant to bring up the Jersild case. It's what I get for posting w/o coffee.

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

February 19th, 2013, 23:29
This is like a multiplayer CS match
Score:
Name Kills Deaths
rith - 22 8
Da - 17 12
dte - 16 11
Jemy - 8 9
Myrthos - 1 0

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

February 19th, 2013, 23:49
Damn you, Pladio! Now I want to go fire up CS and get my ass handed to me.

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

February 20th, 2013, 09:14
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
This is like a multiplayer CS match
Score:
Name Kills Deaths
rith - 22 8
Da - 17 12
dte - 16 11
Jemy - 8 9
Myrthos - 1 0
You should check the Quake DM scores instead

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

Default a fresh way of reducing gun ownership and violence?

February 25th, 2013, 08:32
"All this taken together would add up to a marked reduction in the demand for firearms among private individuals, especially those least competent to use them safely. Those on the left who are presently pushing for stricter gun laws would therefore be doubly satisfied: first by better protection services (and the resulting lower crime rates), and second, by the overall decline in gun ownership. Meanwhile, traditional conservatives could still maintain a strict from-my-cold-dead-hands posture if they wished, without fear of being forcibly disarmed by the collectivist zeal of their neighbors. But they would no longer have either poor policing or the looming threat of state tyranny as a justification for doing so. "

read the full analysis here
http://mises.org/daily/6363/Anarchy-…-Gun-Ownership

"A strong president, means having the strength to resist the temptation of taking all that power isn't yours" - Ron Paul

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions",- Government

mudsling3

Sentinel

February 25th, 2013, 15:11
An interesting article. I have a couple serious reservations about its efficacy, though.

First, it states that business will shoulder the costs. That's fine, except that a fair amount of crime occurs in residential areas with little-to-no commercial presence. The only way around that is some sort of "adopt a neighborhood" plan, and that will automatically result in preferential treatment for neighborhoods with wealth. Thus, the poor neighborhoods will go from "poor protection" to "no protection at all". The expected result of that would be the rise of "militia compounds", basically armed fortresses around the bedroom communities that can afford it. That's not leading to a free society, but rather a collection of fiefdoms. Not good.

Second, there's a big hole in the plan with respect to how these private law enforcement companies will tie into the judicial system. A major component of the basis of our freedoms is the consistency of due process (the cynical among us might question the practical reality of "consistency", but the philosophical ideal and legal structure are certainly in place). Private police will, by definition, serve the desires of their customers. I expect those desires will differ widely between the Hamptons and Compton. While that makes some sense to me, our judicial system cannot and will not support variations in "the law". The expected result of that would be localized courts, working a localized version of the law that matches the desires of the citizens and the procedures of the private police force. Essentially, fiefdoms yet again. That's not good for the country.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 26th, 2013, 11:16
AR 15, the gun used in the Newtown and Aurora shootings is becoming the US' favorite gun. Apparently amok runs are excellent PR among gun lovers.

(German article, sorry: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/auslan…-a-882609.html)

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

February 27th, 2013, 05:21
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
AR 15, the gun used in the Newtown and Aurora shootings is becoming the US' favorite gun. Apparently amok runs are excellent PR among gun lovers.

(German article, sorry: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/auslan…-a-882609.html)
AR15 was NOT used in the Newtown shootings!! This was confirmed by later MSM report.

Here is non-knee jerking reason for gun right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-F_…ature=youtu.be

"A strong president, means having the strength to resist the temptation of taking all that power isn't yours" - Ron Paul

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions",- Government

mudsling3

Sentinel

March 31st, 2013, 05:11
I originally wrote a post on why I bought a "sporting rifle", but I don't think I want to enter this one. Looks like a nightmare posting/argument scenario waiting to unfold!

Let's just say I wanted to get mine before the anti-gun crowd gets their way and we cant have a pellet gun!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

April 3rd, 2013, 20:53
Say What You Mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eatt6SgI8c

When Should You Shoot a Cop?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat…&v=KQ9w1HHRMQw

When Should You Shoot a Civilian?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUQOHKhf_M

hope the light shine on you at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by mudsling3; April 3rd, 2013 at 21:10.

mudsling3

Sentinel

April 4th, 2013, 00:51
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013…=Share+Buttons

Of course everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but maybe you should have vaguest idea of how something you are trying to legislate actually works?

I'm thinking we could pass a new governmental guideline. Republican Politicians aren't ever allowed to talk about rape and Democratic Politicians aren't ever allowed to talk about self defense. See, who says we can't come to a compromise?

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

April 12th, 2013, 07:47
Pratt vs. Wolf on gun control, best exchange ever…begins at 4:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3A0…ature=youtu.be

mudsling3

Sentinel

April 13th, 2013, 05:06
A question many may not have considered.

"But, some will say, isn’t a requirement for background checks worthwhile if it might save one innocent life? And what if the requirement might cost one innocent life? Is one innocent life more valuable than another?" - Sheldon Richman from Future of Freedom Foundation

http://fff.org/explore-freedom/artic…ground-checks/

mudsling3

Sentinel

April 13th, 2013, 15:42
Found today in the SWTOR forums :

Studies show having a ladder inside your house is more dangerous than a loaded gun.Thats why I own 10 guns. In case some maniac trys to sneak in a ladder.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 13th, 2013, 18:52
Danger is always about one or another inanimate object, isn't it?

mudsling3

Sentinel

April 13th, 2013, 20:14
Yes, but you can always exaggerate things, too.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 14th, 2013, 16:20
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Found today in the SWTOR forums :

Studies show having a ladder inside your house is more dangerous than a loaded gun.Thats why I own 10 guns. In case some maniac trys to sneak in a ladder.
But are we talking about an assault ladder?

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » why anyone wants an "assault rifle"