|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Using Real Science for Believable Sci-Fi

Default Wasteland 2 - Using Real Science for Believable Sci-Fi

December 27th, 2012, 20:28
Gamasutra has an editorial on how the post apocalyptic world of Wasteland 2 is made more believable by using science. To accomplish this InXile has hired people from the Thwacke group, a consultancy firm that helps bringing scientific knowledge into games.
"When our involvement was first announced, there was a bit of fear along the lines of 'Oh, no, the white coats are going to come and say 'this is unrealistic, throw it out of the game'.' But that's not our job. We are here to help the writers, not get in their way," says Alvarado.

"Wasteland has this very tongue-in-cheek humor and off-the-wall crazy sensibility in creating their world," he says. "The writers ask us questions and we answer to the best of our ability."

As a whole, Thwacke stays up to speed on scientific trends, and they can get game designers in touch with new discoveries in a timely fashion.

Alvarado says, "We always keep in mind that anything we include should be relatively new, [something] that's trending in exciting science, and then incorporate it into the game. With any luck, the release of the game will coincide with that information becoming more generally available and widely understood."

Alvarado argues that game designers are often scrupulous about creating visual realism, but less careful when playing with scientific ideas. "I'm someone who's finishing a Ph.D, a molecular biologist. It irks me, for example, when I see storytellers vaguely using, say, DNA to wrap up their loose ends."
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 27th, 2012, 20:28
While I agree that scientific realism is a good thing in a story, RPGs have never been plausibly realistic in terms of elements like wounds management. It would be interesting if they include a plausible mechanism for the latter, say like limited nanotechnology self-repair.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

December 29th, 2012, 09:54
A new confirmation of what was written earlier: Sci Fi is no longer Sci Fi, it is about getting the science right.

As if getting the science right is the only way to get a believable Sci Fi or even worse, is an automatic way to get believable Sci Fi.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

December 29th, 2012, 20:06
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
A new confirmation of what was written earlier: Sci Fi is no longer Sci Fi, it is about getting the science right.

As if getting the science right is the only way to get a believable Sci Fi or even worse, is an automatic way to get believable Sci Fi.
Everyone knows you just need to reverse the polarity and then you can do anything.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

December 29th, 2012, 22:58
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
While I agree that scientific realism is a good thing in a story, RPGs have never been plausibly realistic in terms of elements like wounds management. It would be interesting if they include a plausible mechanism for the latter, say like limited nanotechnology self-repair.
The original only had wounds healed by time, no med kits or potions. On the official W2 forums it was posted that wounds will be healed by time again and they're considering other more immediate options but those weren't in the game for sure yet, depending on play balance.

I've always thought the explanation of an injection of stem cells with a chemical cocktail to induce rapid growth was a decent explanation for any futuristic med kits.

LuckyCarbon

Unfettered Developer

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Using Real Science for Believable Sci-Fi