|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - JoWooD is Seeking Development Studio!

Default Gothic 4 - JoWooD is Seeking Development Studio!

May 24th, 2007, 14:05
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
By constantly stressing quality, timeliness and bug-free code delivery, they appear to not only distance themselves from any G3 issues, they create a public image of themselves as the victim.
To be fair, PB is also doing similar things. With hindsight it appears they´ve prepared their exit from JoWooD for a few weeks through Ralf´s forum posts.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2007, 17:55
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
To be fair, PB is also doing similar things. With hindsight it appears they´ve prepared their exit from JoWooD for a few weeks through Ralf´s forum posts.
Absolutely - I think there is plenty of blame and subterfuge to go around …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2007, 18:47
I'm interested in seeing whether they can find a promising up-and-coming studio to develop the game. Europe is full of game development talent that is just now starting to come to the forefront. Crytek just opened up a new Ukranian studio. Then you've got CD Projekt, GSC Gameworld, and Nival to name a couple others. If a European studio does the next Gothic game, I'll be pretty confident.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

May 24th, 2007, 19:33
I am a system developer - not games - but I know for sure:

Taking over 1.5 million lines of code, debug it and eliminate errors is an impossible task, if you have none of the original developers left.

Maybe, if a good error free game editor exists, an addon can be developed.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 25th, 2007, 06:50
Technically, it's not impossible if the documentation is top notch, but it would take longer and cost more than simply starting over. I've never heard of anyone trying to pull it off, it's just not profitable.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 25th, 2007, 07:01
Well, one of our (non-game) software suppliers hasn't managed to get out a (relatively) bug-free and stable release since '99 - these guys even manage to bungle their own patches: each bugfix introduced new bugs and reintroduced bugs that had been fixed in earlier patches. The original programmers are still on board, but quite obviously, these guys took on a project that was too big for them. If this can happen to a 'professional' developer of industrial and trade applications, why shouldn't it happen to a game developer?

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 25th, 2007, 18:14
No surprises there. As much as it may seem counter-intuitive to some, coding and software are as much if not more an art than a science, and probably always will be. And as we all know, the ratio of really great art to mediocre tripe is 1 to hundreds of thousands…

chamr

Mounted Highborn

August 28th, 2007, 04:42
talk about thread killers…!
//Turg

CRILLE69

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - JoWooD is Seeking Development Studio!