NWN2 - Community Update @ Official Blog

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rob McGinnis has posted a NWN2 Community Update with coverage of a new fan-made sewer tileset and discussion of the shortfalls in the DM client and their plans to improve it, including a preview of the 1.07 patch:
As many of you know, the DM Client has been a weakness of NWN2. When we released the game, we released it as a beta with the intention of working with the community to give them a DM Client the way they want it. We wanted to fill the gaps that DM had with NWN1 and incorporate some of the features that were made available through the use of the DMFI tools. In essence, we wanted to create a more fully functional DM Client with NWN2. Obviously we ran into a few roadblocks. The release of the game didn't quite go as we hoped as compatibility issues came roaring at us. So, unfortunately, that left us dealing with some serious issues in the game. We knew the DM Client needed work, but there was just never enough time to actually focus on it. We tried to give some other small fixes that would not require a full review of a system, as the DM Client would, in the meantime.
More information.

Well, I hope that they do get it all sorted so that the community can really take hold of this game. I want to be playing this in 4 years like I was with NWN.

Personally I think this game becomes better with every single patch. I wasn't quite satiesfied with the vanilla version, but since 1.05 I am more than satiesfied.

If only somebody would improve the main story with more subquests, party interaction etc. Why does everybody have to make (mainly mediocre) fan modules...

Believe me, the DM client is currently a disaster. I hope my review of it is posted before the next patch!! :)

The article still didn't address all the issues I saw with the client.

When we released the game, we released it as a beta

I know its out of context but it was so true with vanilla game. When i started to read that fragment I thought that finally someone from Obsidian had some courage to tell the truth :] .

I'm still not satisfied with the inflexibility of the Game World design. The modules are way to big and the requirements for download are ridiculous (PWC file). Until I get a decent machine too I'm not ready for the toolset or the strange design changes they've made.

And these patches are way too long in coming. I don't believe I'll be satisfied with what they've worked out before even the first expansion is released.

If you look at the number of mods built for it compared to the original by this time there is about a 500 to 1 discrepancy.

Rob McGinnes from Obsidian responded to my comment on one aspect of the client. Not much info but at least it got a "we hear you".

QUOTE(cmgamer @ May 24 2007, 06:59 AM)
I hope you plan to change the "goto" process. It is time consuming and cumbersome in its current form. A player portrait list like NWN1 or even active access to the players re the player list would be faster, easier and make better use of the DM skills.

All I can say for now is we are aware of that issue and have plans to improve things. Stay tuned.

He did post up a few more free hand designs for more sewer tilesets in the same thread Dhurin pasted the link to. http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=2&showentry=66

Back
Top Bottom