|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gas Powered Games - Now on Kickstarter

Default Gas Powered Games - Now on Kickstarter

January 15th, 2013, 00:27
Gas Powered Games has announced that they to are now on Kickstarter. Their goal is to raise US dollars 1,1 millon. The game is called Wildman and is set in prehistoric setting;
it'll be a mix of the RTS and action-rpg genres. A quote that describes the game:
Imagine a game where you control a single hero-the "Wildman"-dropped into the middle of a War Zone. The battle starts. Your own army begins to engage the approaching enemy.You support your troops with your own combat abilities and skills. You shape-shift into new forms that grant you new abilities. You upgrade your armies with new technology. You construct defenses. Your opponent switches tactics; you reconfigure your army to counter. You push the enemy back to their citadel, their home base. You face your opponent's champion. You each rally your troops for support. You execute your special abilities with precision. Your opponent is devastated. You survey the battlefield: the bodies strewn on the ground, the trees burned down and smoldering, the buildings turned to rubble. You collect your rewards. You evolve. Victory is yours. For now.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 00:27
A cartoony action RPG in a silly setting? This is their original idea?

The Walkin' Dude

Watcher of the Keep

January 15th, 2013, 00:35
Maybe the site should change its name to AnythingWatch. It's getting less and less about crpgs every year.
Last edited by crpgnut; January 15th, 2013 at 00:53.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 01:02
Why is everyone doing catroony characters? Are they easier to draw from the practical point of view or do they appeal to a wider (i.e. casual) audiance?

No thanks.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

January 15th, 2013, 01:46
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Why is everyone doing catroony characters? Are they easier to draw from the practical point of view or do they appeal to a wider (i.e. casual) audiance?

No thanks.
Must be some reason to it, I know these cartoony graphics don't do much for me and WoW came out nine years ago, time to move on.

Warmark

Sentinel

January 15th, 2013, 02:08
Perhaps it's concept art? Although "Cartoon" graphics do bypass the uncanny valley problem.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 02:32
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Maybe the site should change its name to AnythingWatch. It's getting less and less about crpgs every year.
Yes, because we as a group can agree with what is and is not an rpg.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

January 15th, 2013, 03:26
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Perhaps it's concept art? Although "Cartoon" graphics do bypass the uncanny valley problem.
I get that concept in theory but I've never had that feeling when I've played computer games. Closest I've come is with real people when a feeling has come over me that there was something seriously wrong with them. It may be an issue at some point, but we aren't there yet.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

January 15th, 2013, 04:29
Originally Posted by CraigCWB View Post
I get that concept in theory but I've never had that feeling when I've played computer games. Closest I've come is with real people when a feeling has come over me that there was something seriously wrong with them. It may be an issue at some point, but we aren't there yet.
Perhaps people experience it differently then, but I definitely have felt that effect while playing computer games since long before I knew there was a name for it. It comes across in many quasi-realistic CGI films as well.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 05:04
If people don't want the "Cartoony" graphics or realistic graphics they could always go the anime/manga style root since you won't have as much of the problems that the "Cartoony" style or realistic styles run into. The only problem I see is that most of the people that make games and are not Japanese developers do a crappy job emulating the anime/manga style and it just ends up "Cartoony" instead.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

January 15th, 2013, 05:08
Since one of the needs listed is servers, I'm assuming this is multiplayer too. That should make some here happy, though it's another nail in the coffin for me.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 05:38
Pretty cool that Jeremy Soule is doing the music.

I'm not sure about this game though. I enjoyed Supreme Commander quite a bit, but I don't see a lot of things that appeal to me in Wildman. I'll reserve further judgment until I see some actual gameplay.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 15th, 2013, 06:29
I thought this game looked interesting enough to consider backing. I liked the idea of the exploring and adventuring between the battles. The battles themselves having some RTS elements is appealing too.

I'm with you on the multiplayer thing cnut, hopefully its just an option as they only talked about single player in the video.

Alaric

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

January 15th, 2013, 09:23
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Not really. It is simply that the RPG's definition encompasses anything. In the future, almost every game is going to be a RPG.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 15th, 2013, 09:26
Good finding though. When I connect it with the remark about a character acting as a proxy for an army.

Looks really that in this game, the main character acts as a proxy for an army.

RPGing is the future. No way to escape it.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 15th, 2013, 09:41
Smashing and Destroying: Advanced physics and destructible environments deliver highly visceral (and bloody) combat.
Is visceral still used as a buzz word these days? Almost seems archaic now.

Korplem

Shipwreck

January 15th, 2013, 10:39
I'm reminded of certain toys commercials with the announcement. I just added a few words but imagine a loud voice sounding excited speaking the lines.

Kids you must buy this the coolest game ever. You shape-shift into new forms that grant you new abilities. You upgrade your armies with new technology. You construct defenses. Your opponent switches tactics; you reconfigure your army to counter. You push the enemy back to their citadel, their home base. You face your opponent's champion. You each rally your troops for support. You execute your special abilities with precision. Your opponent is devastated. You survey the battlefield: the bodies strewn on the ground, the trees burned down and smoldering, the buildings turned to rubble. You collect your rewards. You evolve. Victory is yours. Buy it now.
I would rather see another Supreme Commander of have them finish Kings and Castles. Oh well at least we have Planetary Annihilation.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 15th, 2013, 11:12
Not going to bother with this one, but I'll keep an eye on it when they are done.

Yme

Sentinel

January 15th, 2013, 11:16
Yawn… Last good game these guys made was Dungeon Siege 2 - and everything since then has been weak or a retreading of old material.

This sounds really uninteresting to me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 15th, 2013, 14:39
Exactly nothing about that blurb interests me. The only thing they ever did that I liked was DS1.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gas Powered Games - Now on Kickstarter