|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Hey Smokers: I Hate You

Default Hey Smokers: I Hate You

January 25th, 2013, 02:26
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
No, not really.
Yes really.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
No, but irresponsible owning and use of a gun will KILL someone. Also, no matter how responsible you are - you can't be certain your children won't gain access to your weapons. We're human and we make mistakes.

That's why we shouldn't have access to guns.
not true, it will increase the chances but simple being irresponsible with a gun will not KILL someone.

I believe when I was looking on the cdc website it was 848 accidental deaths, so unless there are only 848 irresponsible gun owners in america??

Must be your fantasy world.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Hurt being a very relative term, sure. Like driving a car will pollute and so on. Do you own a car?
Are 443,000 deaths a year in the US alone relative enough?

Yes, but I've never stuck my mouth around the muffler and inhaled. Have you?

I couldn't find any hard numbers about deaths caused by vehicle exhausts. I saw estimates from 90 to 3500 a year. So, no I'd say smoking is nothing like car exhaust. If you'd like to check and bring some actual facts to the discussion your free to do so but throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks is a waste of time.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Anyway, smoking is about addiction and addiction is about doing something against your own best interests.
Yes it is, Thank you. Unfortunately that doesn't make it any healthier.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Stop imagining things.

The majority was right behind SamX and his post. The reason I didn't like it - was because of how he correlated the bad and harmful habit of smoking with the personality of the people who're addicted to it.

I'm against smoking and everything that will harm people without benefit outweighing harm.



It will never be a fact because you call it a fact.
Every number I posted was from the CDC as I said. I didn't pull numbers from my ass. If you have a problem with them or they don't jive with the extensive research and testing i'm sure you've done then please by all mean take it up with the CDC.


Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
When people claim I have no problem with people dying - I respond negatively. Compared to that claim, I think I was being very mild.
Could you point out who around here said you were fine with deaths caused by smoking?

Ok, so stop spouting your bullshit and read what's written instead.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You see, words have a meaning - and you should know what you're accusing people of.
Yes words do have meaning and you should read them.

I never mentioned you, your post, wasn't thinking about you and didn't have any problems with your previous posts. I even went as far as quoting the person I was posting to. If you don't fit the description of the type of person I was posting about then there is no reason to get all worked up and post that you are not that kind of person.

So, if you in any way think I was talking about you then that's on you.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Smoking has been a growing concern worldwide for many, many years.

It's a constant concern.

Gun violence is the rage now because of how many sickening incidents we've seen in recent years.

You're using your fantasy scenarios as some kind of reality. Millions of people are very, very concerned with how smoking harms people.
Yes concerned, not outraged like they are about guns.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
But it has been a freedom so far - and you can't expect people to just appreciate having that taken away - regardless of your own position on smoking.
So have guns,you already stated in another thread that people should give them up for the greater good.

Why can't we expect the same from smokers? Yes I know addiction (blah, blah,blah) No one said doing whats right for the greater good would be easy.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Have I claimed otherwise? No, and you can't point it out either. So stop this fantasy crap - it's annoying.
That was just a point. I never claimed you said otherwise. That would be your fantasy crap and yes it is annoying.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I have a problem with you claiming people don't care about how people are dying from smoke.

Just because we're discussing gun control doesn't mean we forget everything else. You're like DTE when you can't separate issues.
Actually we were talking about smoking then zahratustra brought up guns and I asked him a question about it and then you exploded.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I can be very anti-smoking and yet understand the nature of addiction, and my entire point - all the way - has been that you can't correlate smoking with a defective personality. We're all subject to bad habits and we all behave in a way that's harmful to other people. That's my point.
I have no problem with that point and never questioned you about it.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It has nothing to do with defending smoking - but clarifying that the problem isn't defective people or "bad people". It's the universal weakness of human nature - and we're ALL subject to that.
I don't think all smokers are bad, just that smoking is.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
THAT and only that was my problem with SamX's ludicrous and ignorant post.
Ok but I don't ever remember asking you what your problem with his post was.

Also, you could have just wrote:

THAT and only that was my problem with SamX's post.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#81

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

January 25th, 2013, 02:30
Originally Posted by CrazyIrish View Post
Its a drug. It just feels good. To be more accurate, after awhile, it's the only time you feel 'normal'. That's the effect most self medication finally achieves.

The mind makes odd connections between certain activities. It took me quite awhile to learn to enjoy having a few pints with friends right after quitting. The two activities were so linked in my mind that if I had a beer in my hand, I could hardly focus on anything other than my burning desire for a cigarette.

Sorry for both your grandmother and mother. Sometimes we allow destructive behavior to be so indelibly tied in with who we are that we can't set it aside.


Some people have a really intense reaction, while others hardly at all. Its hard to imagine that something I have no problem smelling could cause such an effect on someone else. That misunderstanding is probably the source of most of the animosity between smokers and non smokers. Heck, even now, regular cigarette smoke doesn't bother me much unless I'm eating or not feeling well. But my wife? Tobacco smoke can actually cause her face to break out into a rash.
Thanks for your explanation and your kind words.

They passed along time ago my grandma was 68, my mom only 34. too early for both. It's a wound that never heals, you just learn to live with it.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#82

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

January 25th, 2013, 10:13
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Yes really.
Wow, I wonder who will win this! How exciting!

not true, it will increase the chances but simple being irresponsible with a gun will not KILL someone.
Increasing the chances is not a bad thing, then? I mean "hurting" someone through a single smoke on the street is worse right?

I believe when I was looking on the cdc website it was 848 accidental deaths, so unless there are only 848 irresponsible gun owners in america??
We're not just talking about accidental deaths, so what's the point of this?

Must be your fantasy world.
I suppose reality is my fantasy in your fantasy, sure

Are 443,000 deaths a year in the US alone relative enough?
Relative enough for what? You said smoking will always hurt - and that's what's relative.

As for those deaths - how many of those are self-inflicted and how many are due to passive smoking? Oh, we don't know and we have no way of knowing.

I would not be for banning guns if they could exclusively be used for self-slaughter.

I believe people should be free to kill themselves if they really wish it. Problem with smoking is that it's addictive - and I believe people would never REALLY want to smoke if they knew they'd die from it - but I can't be the arbiter of that kind of restriction, it has to be their own responsibility.

I couldn't find any hard numbers about deaths caused by vehicle exhausts. I saw estimates from 90 to 3500 a year. So, no I'd say smoking is nothing like car exhaust. If you'd like to check and bring some actual facts to the discussion your free to do so but throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks is a waste of time.
That's the whole point of hurt being a relative term. There are ways to own a car and not harm people SIGNIFICANTLY - just as there are ways to smoke a cigarette and not harm people SIGNIFICANTLY.

The logical conclusion is that not all smokers are to be thrown into the same basket. Again, being my point.

As for owning a car - you're contributing BOTH by pollution and the risk of causing a traffic accident. How many thousands die each year due to traffic accidents?

Oh, you drive safely - and just because others don't doesn't mean there's a problem with you having a car and driving it, right?

Yes it is, Thank you. Unfortunately that doesn't make it any healthier.
Who said it did? What's your point? No one has claimed smoking is healthy.

Every number I posted was from the CDC as I said. I didn't pull numbers from my ass. If you have a problem with them or they don't jive with the extensive research and testing i'm sure you've done then please by all mean take it up with the CDC.
When have I disputed your numbers?

Your bullshit is that people are fine with people dying by smoke. That's not a fact - that's your fantasy bullshit.

Could you point out who around here said you were fine with deaths caused by smoking?
I guess people are fine with smoking deaths though because they happen slowly and the news rarely ever covers them. If they covered every smoking related death there wouldn't be time to cover anything else.

Oh, let me guess - that's not me or anyone here, right? Those "people" are anyone except those who actually confront you?

Take some responsibility for your own words.

I never mentioned you, your post, wasn't thinking about you and didn't have any problems with your previous posts. I even went as far as quoting the person I was posting to. If you don't fit the description of the type of person I was posting about then there is no reason to get all worked up and post that you are not that kind of person.
I never said you were being specific. You were being very broad - which was the problem.

So - right, Saki - you weren't talking to anyone specifically. You just entered a thread where few people had a problem with SamX's post and you started talking about "people" being against guns and "people" defending smokers at the same time. Of course, you didn't really talk about anyone that's actually in the thread - but OTHER people.

So, if you in any way think I was talking about you then that's on you.
Who else would it be on?

Yes concerned, not outraged like they are about guns.
You know this, how?

So have guns,you already stated in another thread that people should give them up for the greater good.
Those deaths related to smoke might include second-hand smoke - but my experience and common sense tells me that's absolutely minimal.

So, we can't go banning smoking in private if we can't be absolutely certain that second-hand smoke is a truly significant factor. Once it's established with no doubt - then I'll be right there against it in all forms.

Why can't we expect the same from smokers? Yes I know addiction (blah, blah,blah) No one said doing whats right for the greater good would be easy.
I'm not talking about expectations. I want to ban guns - and I don't care about the reaction, because it's obvious how fatal guns are. Smoking is fatal as well, but until we've established that passive smoking is truly lethal - I don't know that we should entirely ban them.

That was just a point. I never claimed you said otherwise. That would be your fantasy crap and yes it is annoying.
Why make the point if you already know what I'm about?

Actually we were talking about smoking then zahratustra brought up guns and I asked him a question about it and then you exploded.
I don't explode - but I can react negatively when people are being unpleasant and accusing.

I don't think all smokers are bad, just that smoking is.
Smoking IS bad - and no one suggested otherwise here. Maybe I missed it?

Ok but I don't ever remember asking you what your problem with his post was.
Are you suggesting that everything you say here is something I've asked you to say? Because then you're in for a bit of a surprise.

I was trying to make it clear so there's no confusion. If you have a problem with that, then that's pretty sad.

Also, you could have just wrote:

THAT and only that was my problem with SamX's post.
I could write anything - but I tend to write exactly what I want to.
Last edited by DArtagnan; January 25th, 2013 at 10:54.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#83

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 25th, 2013, 11:43
Yes really no fantasy.

A boy not a girl.

I win !
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#84

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,196
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

January 25th, 2013, 11:45
Congrats to Pladio!

I bow to the better man
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#85

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 26th, 2013, 02:18
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Wow, I wonder who will win this! How exciting!



Increasing the chances is not a bad thing, then? I mean "hurting" someone through a single smoke on the street is worse right?



We're not just talking about accidental deaths, so what's the point of this?



I suppose reality is my fantasy in your fantasy, sure



Relative enough for what? You said smoking will always hurt - and that's what's relative.

As for those deaths - how many of those are self-inflicted and how many are due to passive smoking? Oh, we don't know and we have no way of knowing.

I would not be for banning guns if they could exclusively be used for self-slaughter.

I believe people should be free to kill themselves if they really wish it. Problem with smoking is that it's addictive - and I believe people would never REALLY want to smoke if they knew they'd die from it - but I can't be the arbiter of that kind of restriction, it has to be their own responsibility.



That's the whole point of hurt being a relative term. There are ways to own a car and not harm people SIGNIFICANTLY - just as there are ways to smoke a cigarette and not harm people SIGNIFICANTLY.

The logical conclusion is that not all smokers are to be thrown into the same basket. Again, being my point.

As for owning a car - you're contributing BOTH by pollution and the risk of causing a traffic accident. How many thousands die each year due to traffic accidents?

Oh, you drive safely - and just because others don't doesn't mean there's a problem with you having a car and driving it, right?



Who said it did? What's your point? No one has claimed smoking is healthy.



When have I disputed your numbers?

Your bullshit is that people are fine with people dying by smoke. That's not a fact - that's your fantasy bullshit.



I guess people are fine with smoking deaths though because they happen slowly and the news rarely ever covers them. If they covered every smoking related death there wouldn't be time to cover anything else.

Oh, let me guess - that's not me or anyone here, right? Those "people" are anyone except those who actually confront you?

Take some responsibility for your own words.



I never said you were being specific. You were being very broad - which was the problem.

So - right, Saki - you weren't talking to anyone specifically. You just entered a thread where few people had a problem with SamX's post and you started talking about "people" being against guns and "people" defending smokers at the same time. Of course, you didn't really talk about anyone that's actually in the thread - but OTHER people.



Who else would it be on?



You know this, how?



Those deaths related to smoke might include second-hand smoke - but my experience and common sense tells me that's absolutely minimal.

So, we can't go banning smoking in private if we can't be absolutely certain that second-hand smoke is a truly significant factor. Once it's established with no doubt - then I'll be right there against it in all forms.



I'm not talking about expectations. I want to ban guns - and I don't care about the reaction, because it's obvious how fatal guns are. Smoking is fatal as well, but until we've established that passive smoking is truly lethal - I don't know that we should entirely ban them.



Why make the point if you already know what I'm about?



I don't explode - but I can react negatively when people are being unpleasant and accusing.



Smoking IS bad - and no one suggested otherwise here. Maybe I missed it?



Are you suggesting that everything you say here is something I've asked you to say? Because then you're in for a bit of a surprise.

I was trying to make it clear so there's no confusion. If you have a problem with that, then that's pretty sad.



I could write anything - but I tend to write exactly what I want to.
Actually according to the cdc about 49,000 of the 443,000 deaths were attributed to second hand smoke. You don't even research or put in effort in to what you talking about do you. you just start ranting. I wont argue with someone who wont educate themselves on the topic.

Let me help you secondhand smoke bad.

I don't care if you don't believe I wasn't talking about you. I've told you as much and if you chose to not believe me then I won't loose any sleep over it, but your right I won't take responsibility for accusing you of something I never accused you of. I would think you've seen enough of my posts to know if I wanted to call you on something I would, but maybe you haven't.

Between owning a few businesses, posting on various sites, sports I play, sports my kids play, etc.,etc. I come in to contact with a lot of people. Smoking actually comes up quite a bit as i'm pretty vocal about my dislike for it. I have had people tell me to my face they don't care who dies from smoking or that they can die from it they will do it anyway. (that's the nice version) So i'm not spouting bullshit, it is a fact their are people who don't care about people that die from smoking and smoke even though they know they can die from it.

I could even swear someone on this very thread said they didn't care if people smoked themselves to death but then must have edited it out when they realized it would contradict everything they'd been posting but i'm sure if I called them on it they would tell me it's part of my fantasy world.

As far as winning. I never try to "win" discussions. The best I can hope for is a mutual understanding and respect for each others view points.

I don't want to keep posting in circles.

I don't think Sammy was being a hypocrite, I don't think smoking and guns are comparable because I do think the # of deaths caused by each is more important than the fact that they can both kill. I have met people who don't care about smoking deaths, so they do exist.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#86

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

January 26th, 2013, 03:33
This thread = Thread about smoking + people who are upset they couldn't win a decisive logical victory in the assault rifle thread.

Couldn't we talk about food or something instead? On a different board I frequent, whenever the conversation goes awry, the topic always turns to food. Or sometimes, food & booze. It's much more fun that way.
CrazyIrish is offline

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

#87

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 604

Default 

January 26th, 2013, 08:05
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Actually according to the cdc about 49,000 of the 443,000 deaths were attributed to second hand smoke. You don't even research or put in effort in to what you talking about do you. you just start ranting. I wont argue with someone who wont educate themselves on the topic.
Oh, and you're educated by quoting an ESTIMATE that can't be established with any kind of remote certainty?

That's my whole point - we don't know with certainty, because passive smoking is impossible to quantify. Anyone with a brain would understand how many ways and degrees of it can exist, which would be countless. ANY estimate is complete guesswork and nothing more.

Sigh.

Let me help you secondhand smoke bad.
If you mean unhealthy, then we agree. So is eating candy and eating too much. Should we eliminate that possibility as well?

I don't care if you don't believe I wasn't talking about you. I've told you as much and if you chose to not believe me then I won't loose any sleep over it, but your right I won't take responsibility for accusing you of something I never accused you of. I would think you've seen enough of my posts to know if I wanted to call you on something I would, but maybe you haven't.
Again, I'm not talking about me - specifically. You were talking to the people in the thread, and I was definitely among the targeted - whether specifically or not.

If you can't admit that, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Between owning a few businesses, posting on various sites, sports I play, sports my kids play, etc.,etc. I come in to contact with a lot of people. Smoking actually comes up quite a bit as i'm pretty vocal about my dislike for it. I have had people tell me to my face they don't care who dies from smoking or that they can die from it they will do it anyway. (that's the nice version) So i'm not spouting bullshit, it is a fact their are people who don't care about people that die from smoking and smoke even though they know they can die from it.
Hehe, and you talk about educating yourself.

If you knew anything whatsoever about human nature, you would understand that one of the most prominent features is the natural defensive reaction known as denial.

Do you REALLY believe that people don't care? Of course they care they just have to defend their smoking habit. They're in denial about it - and it relates to addiction and human weakness. The only alternative to some brute calling them out on smoking being bad and contributing to other people dying would be for them to immediately admit you're right and show "great weakness" (unfortunately, most people would consider it as such) right in front of you. That's what you expect the average person to do?

Do you also believe people who say they don't mind being extremely fat? That it's just their way. Trust me, they care.

But if you really believe they genuinely don't care about people dying - then why don't you talk to them instead of in this thread here? We're not the psychopaths you associate with.

I could even swear someone on this very thread said they didn't care if people smoked themselves to death but then must have edited it out when they realized it would contradict everything they'd been posting but i'm sure if I called them on it they would tell me it's part of my fantasy world.
If someone did - they'd be in denial as well. Unless you have no empathy, and that's called being a psychopath - you will care about other people. You might not realise it or feel it without an individual to focus on, but you DO. That's being human and that means a great amount of ignorance. All it takes to realise that you actually DO care a lot is a personal experience, like a personal tragedy. Then people wake up from their denial-slumber. But don't make the mistake of thinking people don't care.

As far as winning. I never try to "win" discussions. The best I can hope for is a mutual understanding and respect for each others view points.
It was a joke lost on you. But if your start in this thread is your version of hoping for mutual understanding and respect - then you need to work at it, trust me.

I don't want to keep posting in circles.
That's a relief.

I don't think Sammy was being a hypocrite, I don't think smoking and guns are comparable because I do think the # of deaths caused by each is more important than the fact that they can both kill. I have met people who don't care about smoking deaths, so they do exist.
So, the amount of death can be such that a thing isn't bad? What an interesting point of view.

But ok.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#88

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 26th, 2013, 08:23
Coming back to the topic of smoking: it (and all addictions I guess) teaches you that 1- your brain* is not on your side and 2- that it really canbe quite stupid.

1- I try to quit smoking not by going cold turkey but by gradually reducing number of cigarettes I smoke and what happens? Your own brain comes up with all this wonderfull excuses why you should have another smoke!
2- part of your brain knows that smoking is bad for you and that you should quit NOW. but another part wants its fix and doesn't care that it might kill you in a long run…

* I use word "brain" as a shortcut to avoid writting long winded post about causes and processes of addiction.
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#89

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,349

Default 

January 27th, 2013, 22:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Oh, and you're educated by quoting an ESTIMATE that can't be established with any kind of remote certainty?

That's my whole point - we don't know with certainty, because passive smoking is impossible to quantify. Anyone with a brain would understand how many ways and degrees of it can exist, which would be countless. ANY estimate is complete guesswork and nothing more.

Sigh.
I'm aware it's an estimate based on statistical analysis and figured you would be too.

I would think i'm a little more educated than the average person as I had deaths in my family related to smoking and have since done quite a bit of research. I'm far from an expert though.

So, I think getting information from a credible source that spends millions on research and statistical analysis is better than relying on Dart's common sense.

I'm not surprised though that your trying to make this more about second hand smoke now.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If you mean unhealthy, then we agree. So is eating candy and eating too much. Should we eliminate that possibility as well?
If you really don't think second hand smoke is worse than candy, then ok.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Again, I'm not talking about me - specifically. You were talking to the people in the thread, and I was definitely among the targeted - whether specifically or not.
Oh, I didn't get that from you saying YOU don't like it when YOU are accused. I'm sure everyone else here will appreciate you coming to their rescue.

Anyway I never said I wasn't talking about anyone here.I said I wasn't talking about you.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If you can't admit that, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Whew, That will be one less thing on my conscience.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
, and you talk about educating yourself.

If you knew anything whatsoever about human nature, you would understand that one of the most prominent features is the natural defensive reaction known as denial.

Do you REALLY believe that people don't care? Of course they care they just have to defend their smoking habit. They're in denial about it - and it relates to addiction and human weakness. The only alternative to some brute calling them out on smoking being bad and contributing to other people dying would be for them to immediately admit you're right and show "great weakness" (unfortunately, most people would consider it as such) right in front of you. That's what you expect the average person to do?

Do you also believe people who say they don't mind being extremely fat? That it's just their way. Trust me, they care.
I was wondering when your self-proclaimed knowledge of human nature would rear it's ugly head.

In a world where there are murders and suicides. I don't find it all that hard to believe that there are people who wouldn't care. Empathy is not universal, it is possible to have empathy for some and not for others.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
But if you really believe they genuinely don't care about people dying - then why don't you talk to them instead of in this thread here? We're not the psychopaths you associate with.
Your knowledge of human nature should tell you that people don't like being belittled or insulted.

Also, you may want to get the memo out that we can now only post stuff about people on these forums, per Dart.

Content will get awfully spare though.



Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If someone did - they'd be in denial as well.
Really, Wow. THEY must be in denial.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Unless you have no empathy, and that's called being a psychopath - you will care about other people. You might not realise it or feel it without an individual to focus on, but you DO. That's being human and that means a great amount of ignorance. All it takes to realise that you actually DO care a lot is a personal experience, like a personal tragedy. Then people wake up from their denial-slumber. But don't make the mistake of thinking people don't care.



It was a joke lost on you. But if your start in this thread is your version of hoping for mutual understanding and respect - then you need to work at it, trust me.



That's a relief.



So, the amount of death can be such that a thing isn't bad? What an interesting point of view.

But ok.[/QUOTE]

Never said it didn't make it bad. You tackle the things that are killing the most people first then work your way down the list. Save as many lives as possible don't cater to the hot button topic of the moment.

If you can't agree with that then I don't know what else to say.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#90

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

January 28th, 2013, 10:27
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I'm aware it's an estimate based on statistical analysis and figured you would be too.
What else could it be?

I would think i'm a little more educated than the average person as I had deaths in my family related to smoking and have since done quite a bit of research. I'm far from an expert though.

So, I think getting information from a credible source that spends millions on research and statistical analysis is better than relying on Dart's common sense.
I don't own the concept of common sense and it should work for you as well. If your common sense tells you that it's possible to accurately quantify all kinds of passive smoking like that, well - then it's not working

I'm not surprised though that your trying to make this more about second hand smoke now.
What "this"? The passive smoking aspect is the part of smoking that makes me sceptical about banning it.

If you really don't think second hand smoke is worse than candy, then ok.
Both depend on several factors - and both can be more dangerous to your health than the other. That's the point.

I was wondering when your self-proclaimed knowledge of human nature would rear it's ugly head.

In a world where there are murders and suicides. I don't find it all that hard to believe that there are people who wouldn't care. Empathy is not universal, it is possible to have empathy for some and not for others.
Empathy isn't universal? That doesn't make any sense. If you have it - it WILL be universal - but you won't necessarily be feeling it when you're saying you don't care.

Again, people can claim they don't care and they can pretend they don't care. But if they're faced with it, like a personal experience - they will very quickly realise that they DO care.

Very basic stuff about human nature and you shouldn't need much knowledge about it.

Your knowledge of human nature should tell you that people don't like being belittled or insulted.
Point being?

Are you suggesting I should write things based on what people will like reading? Because then you have no idea what I'm about.

I say what I mean - not what people want to hear. Probably because I don't care about being a popular person around strangers.

Also, you may want to get the memo out that we can now only post stuff about people on these forums, per Dart.
You can do whatever you like - but you should be prepared to be confronted every once in a while.

Content will get awfully spare though.
A single person can provoke content for the ages.

Never said it didn't make it bad. You tackle the things that are killing the most people first then work your way down the list. Save as many lives as possible don't cater to the hot button topic of the moment.

If you can't agree with that then I don't know what else to say.
So, your suggestion is that we ignore every bad thing in the world except the worst - because we should go through them in order of how bad they are?

You seriously suggest I should agree with insanity like that? Ehm, no.

Also, even if we were insane and decided to "wait" with dealing with gun control - that doesn't exactly explain why it's a bad thing to point out that we need to control it.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#91

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 28th, 2013, 13:43
We have wasted enough time here. I find your views ludicrous and I'm sure the feelings mutual.

Lets do everyone a favor and move on.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#92

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,190

Default 

January 28th, 2013, 13:47
I don't know that I would say your views are ludicrous. You seem to be a reasonable enough person most of the time, so I suspect it's more a matter of a misunderstanding. Probably, your personal experiences with smoking have made your stance somewhat emotional - and that's hardly something to blame you for.

Anyway, agreed - enough of this
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#93

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 30th, 2013, 04:57
It's not really the ops fault, since the denigration of smokers is just a part of the current social zeitgeist, which is absorbed from society & the media as naturally as breathing. That can easily be seen just by watching old films or even reading Tolkien, for instance; even when I was a child smoking was still common on public transport.

If you wish to look at the world sub specie aeternitatis then you need to be constantly aware of the insidious mental rot that you imbibe from the surrounding world and filter it out.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#94

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 977

Default 

January 30th, 2013, 09:31
Pretty soon it will be overweight people - costing us all money and being so damned out of control fat. We should just kill them, really.

I'm anxiously awaiting SamX vent on the subject, because some fat guy took up two seats in the bus so he couldn't sit down.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#95

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 31st, 2013, 17:44
Oh Dart, always thinking of me. you flatter me so…

But no, it would never happen. You couldnt pay me to take public transportation
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#96

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,666

Default 

January 31st, 2013, 20:50
Sure? It will give you something extra to vent about!
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#97

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 31st, 2013, 21:01
Sorry guys, but long distance relationships just don't work.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?
dteowner is offline

dteowner

dteowner's Avatar
Shoegazer

#98

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 11,327

Default 

January 31st, 2013, 21:32
Don't I know it
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#99

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,595

Default 

January 31st, 2013, 23:41
I smoke and hate myself for doing so. I have tried to quit a few times, but having another smoker in the house, with smokes lying around is too hard to resist when a stressful moment hits. And there are many of them.

I have cut back a lot. I don't smoke at work . Or during travel time. 5 days a week. So it should be possible to entirely quit.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#100

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Hey Smokers: I Hate You
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:36.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch