|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Todd Howard "We Care About Fallout"

Default Fallout 3 - Todd Howard "We Care About Fallout"

May 25th, 2007, 15:48
From a post on the official forums , Todd Howard has a protracted statement (worth reading) all about Fallout. Some stuff there:
To say we care about Fallout would be an epic understatement," says Howard. "We are excited/humbled to be the ones to bring it back. I know we don't have all the right answers, or the one's you would make when it comes to how it should be or look. We can only do what we think is right and what makes us the most excited, and that's what we've done. We've left no stone unturned in trying to find Fallout's 'soul', but those decisions are ours, not yours. I just hope you give the game a look and decide if that soul is there for you.
More information.

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 15:48
That actually sounds pretty sincere and heartfelt. It may all just be lies-all-lies!! but they'd have to be pretty stone cold for that. Regardless, I have no real nostalgic feelings towards the Fallout series, so I sit here at the sideline, emotionally detached.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 15:55
Er this is already in the news, just a couple of newsbits bellow this one…

Briosafreak

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 16:00
Don't worry once, right now FO fans make up a large portion of those following FO3, once the PR machine is running at full speed and they're speaking to 10,000,000 console owners, That's when the details of the savagery with which they've raped FO will leak out.

obediah

May 25th, 2007, 16:34
Originally Posted by Briosafreak View Post
Er this is already in the news, just a couple of newsbits bellow this one…
Thanks - I caught this one sideways and didn't full read the link on the other thread, just noticed it was at NMA rather than the official forums … turns out Todd spammed the various forums

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 17:20
Cor, he does prattle on doesn't he

Nice "pull on the heartstrings" words there, but it just highlights how fraught with danger taking a well-loved franchise and turning it into something else is. Heeding the fans doesn't seem to be a priority at Bethesda. Well, he seems to say it is, but it also isn't.
"those decisions are ours, not yours."
Sure thing mate, but make sure they're the right decisions eh? I'd hate to think you bought the licence just to gut it and drape the skin over something distinctly Other. Your share prices might react badly to a game no-one but you and your team actually like

Dyne

Watchdog

May 25th, 2007, 18:05
Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
Your share prices might react badly to a game no-one but you and your team actually like
They didn't over Oblivion, despite the moaning from the 'fans' of Morrowind they went and made the game they wanted to. Turned out OK.

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 18:16
The Codexers call him Father-Of-Lies…

I wouldn't trust this fella one iota.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2007, 18:19
I believe he will go to hell for what he said, if he is not down there allready. I bet he is the devil incarnate.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

May 25th, 2007, 18:25
What else is he going to say? How many days left till the teaser comes out? (rhetorical question)

edit: I am hoping we finally see some design elements in the teaser

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2007, 18:39
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
They didn't over Oblivion, despite the moaning from the 'fans' of Morrowind they went and made the game they wanted to. Turned out OK.
Most assuredly, but Morrowind and Oblivion are more alike than Fallout 1&2 and what I imagine Fallout 3 will be like.
I was speaking half rhetorically. I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I think FO3 will more than likely be a commerical success. I'm just doubting whether I'll like it, so I'm just being cynical and selfish

Dyne

Watchdog

May 25th, 2007, 18:46
Hehe fair enough.

Good thing is that games don't go off, so we can wait for other people to try them out and choose to buy them or not

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2007, 20:36
Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
Your share prices might react badly to a game no-one but you and your team actually like
That rhetoric doesn't work, since it's a private company. And that's why they stay afloat while developers you do like have plumeted into the depth.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

May 25th, 2007, 22:27
Did anybody read the entire piece? It's one of the most nonsensical piles of babbling rhetorical drivel that I have ever seen. The guy starts off with Fallout and ends up talking about how Christopher Reeve sees that Superman matters to kids with brain tumors.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2007, 22:55
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
That actually sounds pretty sincere and heartfelt. It may all just be lies-all-lies!! but they'd have to be pretty stone cold for that. Regardless, I have no real nostalgic feelings towards the Fallout series, so I sit here at the sideline, emotionally detached.
Ahah! xD While we, Fallout fans, contemplate suicide

Morbus

May 25th, 2007, 23:17
Hehe comments in Nma, were pretty funny.. I can't blaim them though dcotor_Kaz: yep its a huge load of bs..

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

Default Fallout 3

May 25th, 2007, 23:25
Why can't developers just TELL THE TRUTH?! Is it really that hard?

Note to F3 developers : If you really want to quell the bile, here's what you say -

"It will be turn-based. It will be isometric. It will include aimed shots. It will have Ron Perlman's voice in the intro. It will have graphic violence, sexual content & obscenities. It will have a great 50's pop tune in the intro. It will include the SDK. These are facts & we guarantee it."

There. Simple & straight to the point. Say that & the Internets (all of 'em) will be full of Fallout fans in utter shock over how to respond.

Anything less & you know they're just finding the right time to sneak in "teh suck" (aka real-time combat, first-person perspective, snarky comedic sidekick, Oblivion w/ guns, etc.).

Nonymous

May 26th, 2007, 00:35
Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
The Codexers call him Father-Of-Lies…
Nope, that's Pete Hines, the PR guy.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe

KazikluBey

Sentinel

May 26th, 2007, 00:43
Does anyone find his attitude a bit patronizing? I mean, aside from the "our game not yours"remark?

“verisimilitude”. Look it up if you don’t know what it means.
Hard to warm up to that, imo.
I kind of enjoyed the preceding post about Vegamite, tho.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

May 26th, 2007, 01:46
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
That rhetoric doesn't work, since it's a private company. And that's why they stay afloat while developers you do like have plumeted into the depth.
Damn. OK, "Your dividends might react badly to a game no-one but you and your team actually like."

Dyne

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Todd Howard "We Care About Fallout"