|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GameBanshee - GotY 2012

Default GameBanshee - GotY 2012

February 5th, 2013, 08:45
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Well, I don't mean to be overly negative. But if you're going to create articles about games of the year - and you're going to include the MMO genre - you really should test the major ones - of which there are very few. I mean, how expensive can it be to buy a boxed version and test for a month?

Anyway, maybe that's just me. But if you don't include a game like Secret World when talking about best writing/story of the year - I don't think it makes sense to even write the article.
Give me the money to buy the game and the subscription, give me a month off work to play it instead of other RPGs, finish all my other outstanding projects for me, and I'll get right on that for you.

Sorry we didn't pick your favorite game.

sea

Watcher

February 5th, 2013, 10:49
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Give me the money to buy the game and the subscription, give me a month off work to play it instead of other RPGs, finish all my other outstanding projects for me, and I'll get right on that for you.

Sorry we didn't pick your favorite game.
It's - by far - not my favorite game. It just has the best writing I've seen in quite a while, and that includes non-MMOs. That's not just my opinion, though I realise it's easier to believe that.

But if you're saying you guys don't have the means or the time to include the most relevant games when trying to evaluate games of the year - then I guess I know what I need to know about the useful nature of your articles.

Sorry I didn't agree with you

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 5th, 2013, 14:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I think R2 was miles ahead of simplistic combat-puzzlers like Grimrock or mainstream endless filler combat games like Mass Effect 3. Grimrock gets praise because it's a pretty indie game, and that's it. If it had been a hyped AAA game - it would have been bashed for being simplistic and shallow. GotY? What a joke.
100% agree with you on this one

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 5th, 2013, 16:19
No Dark Souls makes this invalid.

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside

February 5th, 2013, 16:49
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yet you guys thought KoA was the 2nd best RPG of 2012? Ok.
You have to understand that this list was a conglomerate of like 3-4 different opinions. Compromises are made and discussion is had to narrow things down. Eventually what happens is you just settle on games everyone agrees with, even if personally we don't all feel the same way. It's not so much a case of what is the "best" game as it is "what will everyone settle on."

That said I do think Kingdoms of Amalur was pretty good for a big mainstream RPG. Yeah, it had way too much filler, but I thought it had a solid character system (better than Skyrim etc.), combat was fun and dynamic, the story was solid (if overlong), and the world had some cool-looking locations to explore. Second best RPG of the year? Hard to say, but it was definitely a game that did a lot right, so I can see why it ended up on the short list regardless.

sea

Watcher

February 5th, 2013, 19:43
Kingdoms of Amalur suffered from way too much grinding in between the mostly well told stories and pretty locations. I didn't play Risen 2 but I really need to get it one of these days.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 5th, 2013, 23:20
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
No Dark Souls makes this invalid.
Dark Souls was too hardcore for those guys.

Joking aside, I agree that DS should be involved in any conversation regarding best RPG in 2012.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GameBanshee - GotY 2012