|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mage's Initiation - Launched on Kickstarter

Default Mage's Initiation - Launched on Kickstarter

February 20th, 2013, 14:19
Mage's Initiation, a Sierra style Adventure/RPG hybrid has been launched on Kickstarter and is currently after one day at 27K of the asked 65K.
Mage's Initiation is a Role-Playing / Adventure Game hybrid, very similar in style and execution to Sierra On-Line's classic Point-&-Click Quest for Glory and King's Questseries. It maintains all the charm of classic and timeless adventure games of yesteryear while adding 21st century innovation to the mix - like multiple game interfaces, and a free-range magical combat system!
We're all very big fans of the adventure genre here at Himalaya Studios, and we feel that Sierra's games really hit their peak in the early 90s. We're working hard to provide a nostalgic experience, reminiscent of that golden era of 2D Sierra adventures circa 1993-1994.
Mage's Initiation has a medieval / fantasy setting and it features multiple playable character classes, spell-casting, and an open-field magical combat system, complete with equippable items and monster loot drops!
Thanks Xarg.
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 20th, 2013, 14:19
Android and iOS ports are a planned stretch goal if we reach $120,000.
I'm not giving a cent in it.

If someone wants to make games for smartphones, go get funded by smartphone manufacturers and con ppl with appstores, but please leave kickstarter alone.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 20th, 2013, 14:33
I would only back this if it will come to iOS. This is the kind of game that should be made for iPad. I'm tired of all the attempts to make COD or diablo clones with terrible touch controls.

iOS needs more adventure games and would also be well suited towards wizardry type games.

I probably wouldn't play this on my computer as I already have a very long backlog of games I'm more interested in but on iPad I would definitely give it a go.

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 20th, 2013, 16:38
That's some pretty old school artwork there. Nice though.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

February 20th, 2013, 19:53
I'm in. I too would love to see an Ipad version. But being a long time Kings Quest fan, the PC is fine with me. I think the game looks pretty cool.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

February 20th, 2013, 20:51
From how it is going it looks like it may surpass $120,000 and maybe far more.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

February 21st, 2013, 01:16
isn't this like Quest for Glory series? (and their people made a kickstarter too which I backed btw). Whatever, the more the merrier.

I disagree on the hatred for tablets. This type of games goes perfectly well on them, I'd rather play an adventure game on a tablet than on my PC probably… well maybe not, but I don't see why I wouldn't want it Though I guess the 'pixel hunting' problem of adventure games of old would become extremely worse when you're pixel hunting with your fat finger

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

February 21st, 2013, 13:15
Looks pretty decent to me. Not a big fan of cartoon-style conversations - but otherwise it looks like a QfG game to me. I loved those, so I'll keep an eye out.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 21st, 2013, 18:09
Quest for Glory was fun. And this really seems to go in the same direction. May be worth a look.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mage's Initiation - Launched on Kickstarter