|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » CAPTCHA on the way out?

Default CAPTCHA on the way out?

February 20th, 2013, 21:22
http://news.yahoo.com/internet-adver…205416291.html

But if these silly security systems make you want to bust your keyboard in half, you'll be happy to hear that we may very well be seeing the last days of the obnoxious, text-based CAPTCHA system, and the next verification system you see online may make you happy to view advertisements for the first time ever.
Not sure how much I like the "new" answer, but it can't be much worse than what we've got today.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 20th, 2013, 22:52
Thanks for posting that. I tend to use word problems on the website I manage. I hate most of the image ones - can never read them right. So far word problems seem to block the bots and they are easy enough to update as needed.

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch

February 21st, 2013, 08:10
The only problem I see with it that the 'commonly known' brand name or logo of the ad might not be known that well in the different countries we cater.
One thought that pops up though that on this site I could ask for the name of the game that is currently displayed in the ad at the top of the page.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 21st, 2013, 10:25
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
The only problem I see with it that the 'commonly known' brand name or logo of the ad might not be known that well in the different countries we cater.
One thought that pops up though that on this site I could ask for the name of the game that is currently displayed in the ad at the top of the page.
Not bad, but it may sometimes be confusing. Should I write Gothic or Gothic 3 or Gothic III? Spellforce or Spellforce Platinum or Spellforce Platinum Edition?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

February 21st, 2013, 11:13
Ad-based verification ? How idiotic. This is nothing but forcing advertisement towards all possible customers … The advertisement companies will be happy, because they profit from this new thing.

To me, this is nothing but "just another ploy" to to get advertisement into "hitherto unknown teritories … where no man has been before", so to say. Bah.

I have seen the GDR shortly after the fall of the wall (in Germany). You just can't imagine how it looked like, with NO advertisements AT ALL. You just can't. It looked so … "alien" to me …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 21st, 2013, 11:54
What about people who use ad blocking software? They wouldn't see those ads.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 21st, 2013, 13:02
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Not bad, but it may sometimes be confusing. Should I write Gothic or Gothic 3 or Gothic III? Spellforce or Spellforce Platinum or Spellforce Platinum Edition?
The exact thing to type in is displayed in the ad, but I agree it would require a checking mechanism that allows too much probably to cover typos and variations..

Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
What about people who use ad blocking software? They wouldn't see those ads.
They would not be able to register or do anything else that would require this, unless they temporarily enable ads . I really do not see that as a blocking issue.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » CAPTCHA on the way out?