|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avadon 2 - Officially Announced!

Default Avadon 2 - Officially Announced!

February 22nd, 2013, 13:01
Spiderweb officially announced their next Avadon game, Avadon 2: The Corruption. It will be released on PC, Mac and iPad this fall.
Here's the feature list again we posted last week when the website went live:
  • Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
  • Five different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
  • Uncover the fascinating histories of Avadon and the many lands of Lynaeus.
  • Many different endings. Will you be loyal to Avadon or switch sides and bring it down? The choice is yours!
  • Dozens of side quests, dungeons, and secrets to discover.
  • Hundreds of magical items to find. Use powerful crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.
  • Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with Avadon: The Black Fortress is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 2.
Thanks Xian!
More information.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 22nd, 2013, 13:01
Shame it's not coming out for a while, they're the only really decent games you can get on ipad.

Hopefully at some point he'll convert the geneforge games to run, that'd keep me busy for a while.

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 22nd, 2013, 14:12
Can't wait Avadon: The Black Fortress was my first Spiderweb game, and it made me a fan. Now we just have to wait for info on the Avernum 2 remake .

Twitter: @TravisAC85

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor

February 22nd, 2013, 15:02
Still my favourite RPG company, after all these years. Always a long, involving game, and usually has decent challenge as well. May they keep cranking out awesome products for many years.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

February 22nd, 2013, 22:08
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Still my favourite RPG company, after all these years. Always a long, involving game, and usually has decent challenge as well. May they keep cranking out awesome products for many years.
decent challenge? Actually I think playing Avernum on Torment was one of if not the most challenging RPG I ever played.
You got something even more challenging?

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 22nd, 2013, 23:25
More challenging? Sure, try some of the older Wizardry games where you could lose members if the rezze failed. Nowadays, people would cry if they lost a toon that they'd put hours into, I can only imagine the infatile raging that would happen.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

February 22nd, 2013, 23:31
In the old Wizardry games you could just turn off the computer and reload the game when something bad happened to you. Same way that you can just reload save game games now, just less convenient.

Anyway I'm excited to hear about Avadon 2 coming out. Avadon 1 wasn't perfect, but it was a good game, and it showed that even after years of repetitive sequels, Spiderweb was still able to come out with something actually new.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

February 22nd, 2013, 23:32
I am looking forward to playing this. Spiderweb is one of developers that can show that cutting edge graphics are secondary to game play and story.

The announcement said Fall 2013 for PC, Mac, and iPad. I wonder if there will be simultaneous releases this time? They usually lead with the Mac and it is months later for the PC version.

Xian

Watchdog

February 22nd, 2013, 23:32
@Carnifex

Only played Wiz6 and 7. Weren't you able to load in the older games?
However what you write sounds fruststrating and luck based and not actually challenging.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 23rd, 2013, 00:44
You have to understand that when the first Wizardry came out, it was one of the first computer RPGs ever. The technology was really primitive and a lot of concepts hadn't been developed yet, including the idea of loading a saved game from a menu. So if your party died or something really bad happened that you wanted to take back, you had to turn your computer off and reboot the game. You couldn't just hit a load game key. Functionally it worked out the same, but it was much more annoying.

Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
@Carnifex

Only played Wiz6 and 7. Weren't you able to load in the older games?
However what you write sounds fruststrating and luck based and not actually challenging.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

February 23rd, 2013, 00:59
Yep, saw your comment, but only after I already posted mine.
Though this could also be interpreted as iron man mode and loading as a way of cheating.

However this is not really a challenge I'd like to have (not in a game which is luck based and not specifically designed for that at least).

In Avernum (and also Avadon) I spend multiple hours on single fights, tried different tactics, kited the enemies, there were some fights which reminded me of raid encounters in World of Warcraft, just that you don't have other players but control the "whole raid " on your own, figure out how to solve the battle on your own and maybe after the tenth or 20. time it finally works (or you give up again and decide to check back later and find the next battle instead you have actually chances to win).
Might sound masochistic, but well, it's called torment for a reason and I loved it.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

February 23rd, 2013, 03:16
It could be, although that would reading a little too far into it. It was more about technical and programming limitations then any concept of iron man.

If I really wanted to point to an insanely hard wizardry game, I'd use Wizardry 4. That was a game that used being unfairly difficult as one of it's main selling points. But it was more about insane puzzles that don't give you enough information to solve them, then difficult combats.

Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Yep, saw your comment, but only after I already posted mine.
Though this could also be interpreted as iron man mode and loading as a way of cheating.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

February 24th, 2013, 00:28
Originally Posted by Xian View Post
The announcement said Fall 2013 for PC, Mac, and iPad. I wonder if there will be simultaneous releases this time? They usually lead with the Mac and it is months later for the PC version.
That is also what I assumed … or at least a closer to same-time release.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 24th, 2013, 08:01
The only thing I dislike about the new engine is the lack of movement tactics out of combat. You simply can no longer stage your engagements and that's a let down. I still prefer Geneforge.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avadon 2 - Officially Announced!