|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GameSpy - Site To Be Shut Down

Default GameSpy - Site To Be Shut Down

February 23rd, 2013, 18:06
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
So is this just the gamespy news site, or the whole gamespy service / system? I haven't used them in ages since I largely withdrew from online gaming, but I assume a lot of older games still rely on the server matching service?
The Gamespy match making service has been sold some time ago ti some other company. See several "servers for game XXX are down" newsbits over the last months.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 23rd, 2013, 18:28
Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
What sucks is that the Neverwinter Vaults will go down.

That is really really bad.
The Neverwinter Nights vault is under IGN, so I think that should be staying up. I'm not sure if the Neverwinter Nexus is impacted.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

February 23rd, 2013, 18:29
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Pretty sure that software you're talking about died years ago. Doesn't look like it's received an update in over 6 years, and the download links on the official site don't even work anymore: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/
Actually, the original Borderlands and Hunted: Demon's Forge used "powered by Gamespy" for online play:

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/

That gamespy arcade thing is yet another thing.

Either way Glu (new owners of the service, not the website) have been dropping support for games.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

February 23rd, 2013, 18:37
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The Neverwinter Nights vault is under IGN, so I think that should be staying up. I'm not sure if the Neverwinter Nexus is impacted.
Nexus is not a part of the Gamespy/UGO/1up/IGN family. It was started by a fan of Oblivion mods and grew to includes lots of other games over time.

Planetelderscrolls was a part of Gamespy, but it seems to have been moved to IGN now. So probably safe.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

February 23rd, 2013, 19:38
"We are focusing on our two flagship brands, IGN and AskMen.
Oh, the irony ! : I've never ever heard of "AskMen" before ! - Until this article, that is.
So - in short : To me, this ain't no "flagship brand". It's just … something that no-one needs to know about.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 23rd, 2013, 20:28
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Oh, the irony ! : I've never ever heard of "AskMen" before ! - Until this article, that is.
So - in short : To me, this ain't no "flagship brand". It's just … something that no-one needs to know about.
AskMen is a search engine and it also surprise answers questions. I used it twice a few years ago. Never caught on really no surprise with Google and Bing.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; February 23rd, 2013 at 20:42.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 24th, 2013, 20:51
Yeah, Gamespy was great back in the day but I only go there now when linked to old reviews for games.

Dan Stapleton is a very familiar name, though. I wouldn't mind seeing him pop back over to PC Gamer.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 26th, 2013, 15:10
I remember 1UP being quite nice back in the day. I can't say exactly why, but it was somehow "friendlier" than other gaming sites (not that there were that many at the time). Its first death was with its acquisition by IGN. This is really just signing the official death certificate.

himmy

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GameSpy - Site To Be Shut Down